Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RoughTrax prop U/Js any good?

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Just doing the final few checks before next months morocco trip. Removed both props to grease them up properly and noticed the rear prop front UJ is tight despite grease coming out of all 4 bearing caps.

Getting one from Amayama is going to be pushing it time wise now so, it's a choice between Mr T or RoughTrax. I have a feeling Mr T is going to be around £100, one from RoughTrax is £22.

Anyone any experience with the RoughTrax ones? Are they okay or made of cheese?

Have you tried to tap the yoke Out? This frees them up alot sometimes.

Problem is that these questions are current stock dependant if you follow me. The ONLY consistent quality is OEM. Or a place where you can guarantee that the one you buy today was the same as they were selling ages ago. I heard that the RT ones were good. Having dealt with RT recently I can say that overall the quality of their parts is good. In fact some of them WERE original when they arrived.

Stripped it down and it appears that it is only tight when pushed in far enough to get the circlips in, with one clip removed and the yolk tapped over a little it frees up. It's as if the prop joint is bent in a little, but measuring with a vernier shows both fork widths to be the same.

Problem is it has been in and out so many times now, I've buggered the grease seal on the one cap so I've got to fit a new one now.

Ive said this before but GKN have quoted me a reasonable price before. Im in town tomorrow if you want a firm price...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ive said this before but GKN have quoted me a reasonable price before. Im in town tomorrow if you want a firm price...

Thanks CG, I have spoke to RoughTrax this morning and asked them to check the manufacturer, all is good* so ordered with them.

* as my memory lasts in nanno seconds these days I can not remember who the manufacturer is now.

Just a quick update, the U\J is a Japanese GMB part.

Problem is now, I buggered my elbow up when I tightened up the front prop which has left my right arm almost incapable of doing anything...... I'll have to get the Mrs to refit it for me :icon-biggrin:

Back