Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sad day, Don't hate me

W211 E class is probably the best all round Benz you can get, i've not liked anything they made since.

Not wanting to hijack this and turn it into an MB thread but...

I always liked W124/210 and 211 - you can instantly recognise them as E classes and they look like proper Mercedes to me. All started to go downhill with W212 - what happened with the design of those headlights, and the W213 an later don't even look like an E class. Was disappointed with the E350 petrol engines in the later 211s and 212s too - ridiculous failures which MB should be ashamed of.

I think the engine in your W124 is probably the same as my W140 - M104 I think (?) - loved that engine. After 200,000 miles it never bunt a drop of oil, and I could get better mpg out of it than the book figure!

Re above Merc comments.....
Wife loves her Mercs ....she has had 190E 2.3 from new , W124 Saloon with various AMG factory add on's from new , W203 C Class Kompressor estate ( not a proper Merc in her view ) that we sold to a friend and it's still going strong , and her current W211 2006 facelift E320 CDI estate that she will run until it dies , it's a brilliant well built and very economical car with 7 seats ..... like others we looked at the next generation and somehow it has lost it's Mercedes feel ....
Our "fleet" spans a good many years .... 1943 to 2011 to be accurate ;-)

Driving home last Friday I got in amongst 3 Ineos Grenadiers. Being in the 100 gave enough height to look in - interior looks great, functional with enough doo-dads. Outside is clean too. Looked like Big Country roof racks on them. Interested about the twin turbo BMW v6 diesel - there are loads of those about so there must be reliability figures somewhere. All diffs lock, and if not using swizzle-sticks for half-shafts I'd be keen to see it working. But at ~£72k new they're smoking their socks....

@Gary Stockton yeah, I had a look around one. They seem nice, and lots of Toyota bits in there too. But insane price point. Much like the defenders. And Sir Jim has put the entire business on sale. Does not inspire confidence.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wasn’t aware of that…. Makes it less attractive now than it may have been

Well decision made and deposit put down on a 2.5 year old Lexus NX 300h..... So still in the Toyota family, but certainly not a Land Cruiser.

IMG_20230318_091317__01.jpg

IMG_20230318_091344__01.jpg

Has all the toys and balance of the 10year Lexus warranty, let's see if this lasts as long as the 120 did...

Its all about the quality of the ride. A journey should be a comfortable experience.
Good on yer Tony.

I got NX a few times as a loan car when I gave mine for service. I felt its good to drive especially in sport mode. It should last as long as a Landcruiser would. Lexus gives hybrid battery warranty for 15 years so these cars are good for atleast 15 years.

Can you do something to protect the cat on it? Apparently the cats on the hybrids are even more "desirable". Hate it when a nice car gets ruined by b*******

Thanks, only been in a short drive in one, and we could not drive this one as it had just come in so have not been inspected.

Did a bit of searching and cat theft not a big issue on these as it seems you can't easily get to them from underneath.

One of the first jobs will be to get the underneath protectected, want to avoid the rookie mistake I made with the 120. Will start looking at options and where to get it done, perhaps a visit to that chap who does the Krown stuff.

Back