Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sad day- end of a cruiser

Now where is our 70 series panel beating expert,,,,,,

Mention no names :dance:

Gra.

Wow, bad news indeed.
Not much consolation, but take heart! This [strike:31hdyjt8]Nifnaf Typo[/strike:31hdyjt8]Nissan Terrano [WOT? who said those words on a TLC site?] on the right was repaired, legally and a good job. Drove it for 6 years after and it's a monocoque which AFAIK is much more difficult than a chassis repair... Good luck with the buy-back and the repair... go for it! P.S. I didn't own it, perk of the job they said... :thumbdown:
[attachment=0:31hdyjt8]Driving (4).JPG[/attachment:31hdyjt8]
Apart from the obvious, broken screen, roof rippled, both A and B posts misaligned, engine mounts shoved back by 30 cm LHS, steering/suspension mashed, rad, A/C rad, engine pulleys squished... the lot!

Attachments

• Driving (4).JPG
    Driving (4).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 253
Thanks for replies guys- i wrote a really long reply yesterday but it seems to have not posted :evil:

Ref insurance- the Arian flux policy has an option where i have the right to buy back the salvage and i indicated early (and to just about everyone) that i would like to persue this. Co-part who have the vehicle have confirmed that they won't be doing anything with it until they receive permission/confirmation from the insurance co- so hopefully i have a good chance of getting the vehicle back- guess it just depends on how much cash they actually want- if its too much then i won't have enough of a pay out to get the repairs done privately :(

Anyd- no photos yet- bettter get it resolved with ins co before i start positing photos- bascially though its a new drivers door, new passenger door (which are both easy) and then a lot of work on the rear quarter- some of it could be pulled and then filled, but in reality cutting it out and welding in a new bit in would be more effective- but very expensive.

Roofline has a dent 1/2" deep just above the gutter running the whole length of the car- very annoying- probably a fill and respray i guess.

will up date you guys as to where i get with payoput for mods- they were all declared and the value of the mods was taken into account when they asked for its current value. The truck was in good condition, but feel that i could replace it for £4k, but i have receipts for getting on to £5k of mods! and that's without ANY labour as i did it all myself, and with pretty hefty discounts on everything- my rear tyre carrier for example was £600, but nowadays you'd be lucky to pay twice that. I have sent all the invoices to the ins co at their request so we will see what they come back with.

I was told by Adrian Flux that they have to replace on a new-for-old basis when i took the policy out- would guess that they will try and create some wiggle room, but hopefully they'll be honest and fair (my experience of working in the insurance industry is that they are often anything but- my current insurer are better than most in both my and my wife's e
xperience!).

Thanks for the update.

To my knowledge the salvage retention cost is usually a percentage of the payout, I've bought vehicles back for 10% from some insurance companies, but I have heard of it varying between 0-25% depending on the company and the situation. It might be worth asking what the percentage is, then you'll have a rough idea of the cost.

Even if the sums don't add up for you to repair the 80, would it be beneficial to retain the 80, strip all the mods off to use on its replacment, and then sell the body shell with all the known good running gear to Karl? The engine, box and axles should still be good for reuse.

Have they mentioned the storage costs? As usually they are very keen to not let them mount up, so if you do decide you want the 80 back it may be wise to offer free storage on your property till the whole matter is concluded.

Its sounds like your getting a good service, so fingers crossed it all comes good in the end. It can be very frustrating dealing with insurance companies. Good luck.

For me, you've got to get "Larry" back on the road, he means too much to you... :thumbup:

It doesn't sound as if the chassis is bent and the repairs you have mentioned are "light" and if done on the cheap, shouldn't cost too much.

Even if not perfect again, any signs of the crash will just be custom "characteristics" of your more mature "Larry".

Please take heed of the storage costs warning, even though the price is negotiable, your first call is getting the car back.

After all, surely it's your car until the insurance actually pay out and they can't stop you taking it home.

Problem is, the storage clock is ticking from day 1 and it's not cheap. It's daylight robbery in fact, whatever the circumstances.

That's my pennyworth... Very best of luck... :thumbup:

Watch out for Co-part, as lots of bits go missing from cars in their yards. I know because I use to take/remove lots of cars from their yards.

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Paul- have date stamped photos frmo the day before they picked the car up- should know if anything goes missing.......really will kick off then!

OK now i don't know what to do.

Will post up how came to an agreed value once i've been paid and had the car back

BUT

They want £1,680 to get the car back.

honestly at the moment we could do with the cash more than the car- we have a baby on the way so priorities have changed (although i would still love to get i back!)

have no idea if i could re-coup the 1680! It has a reat tyre carrier, a beng front winch bumper, side steps, and a high quality (but home made) rear drawer system- the car itself could be broken for parts, but a lot of panels are dented- certainly you'll only get 2 doors!

the car will be declared a Cat C and may need a VIC- will cat c be harder to insure?

£1680 is not cheap enough to be a definite "yes i'll have it back", but isn't expensive enough to be a "no its not very good value!".

Thoughts?

pugwash said:
OK now i don't know what to do.

They want £1,680 to get the car back.

honestly at the moment we could do with the cash more than the car- we have a baby on the way so priorities have changed (although i would still love to get i back!)
Did they explain how they came to the salvage buy back figure, is it a percentage of the settlement value?

You need to decide what you'd like to do with the 80, and as you know, its only you that can make that decision.
You could get it repaired to pre accident condition and you'll be almost in the same position as before you encountered the cyclist.
You could do the bare minimum to get it roadworthy, and leave the rest looking a little dented.
You could strip all your goodies off and fit them to a replacement 80.
You could sell the goodies.
If you decide that the money is a lot more useful to you than the 80 at this point in time, having removed the goodies, you could sell the remains to Karl Webster, it may be worth getting in touch with him and discussing your options.
Or you could sell it as a project vehicle.
There are loads of options, its just a case of deciding what works best for you.

pugwash said:
the car will be declared a Cat C and may need a VIC- will cat c be harder to insure?
Being a Cat C shouldn't make it harder to insure, it just means that if in the future it was the subject of another insurance claim, the pay out would be less, as a written off vehicle is always worth less. Would you pay the market price for a car that had been written off? This is where pictures come in really handy, as you can show a prospective buyer the damage that the vehicle sustained and they can make an informed decision as to whether its for them.

Do you still have the V5? I ask as normally you have to have a VIC (vehicle identity check) carried out before the V5 is reissued, and the V5 has this check noted on it. The VIC is just to confirm that you haven't rung a stolen vehicle, so they only check that the vehicle is what it claims to be identity wise, there is no check at all on the quality of the repair work.

Decisions, decisions. Good luck.

HOW MUCH????

When Great White went up on my drive, I bought it back for £250!!!!

Really difficult times. I was never clear what was insured and what wasn't. "Would my winch have been insured - NO. OK, I'll have that back then. No, it's part of the vehicle" What? How's that work then.

In the end the ONLY stipulation was that they got the body shell back. And guess what. That's all they got.

People are after sets of axles. Wings, wheels, etc etc. If there were enough people on here wanting parts from it, you could buy it and maybe have a little in hand. If someone like Karl or Steff were interested, you could get it in your name - for them. However, I appreciate thet the price is not right. If you could get that down somehow, then buying it would deff be worth it.

I need a wing - cough. and some wheel arches. and...

Chris

purchase price is 28% of settlement value, absolutely no negotiation unfortunately

really torn still although currently erring on having the vehicle back.....

Question is:-
Would you give £1680 for it if it was on sale generally?
What year and box is it?
I'd take a chance on it and turn a profit on it if I were you.

Andy :thumbup:

For me, old cars are not about price and value (maybe it should be though!) but it's about input, the work, the satisfaction. Sounds to me like this car saw you through some good times, and it's obvious you're upset at the thought of losing it. That makes it worth more than 1,680 quid or in any currency in my book.

Best of luck with your decision.. :thumbup:

Made the decision on Friday to let them keep the salvage- a number of reasons, but baby on the way being the primary reason.

For me personally, this won't be the end of landcruisers for me- in 12-18m i will be buying either a late 80, or a 100gs model and do it all over again :D

Once i have received funds from the insurance co i'll put up a detailed report of what happened with the insurance company (who so far have been excellent) and where and how they valued the truck- i undervalued it and it has cost me a couple of k i think! hope to show other not to lose by the same mistake....

Mine is insured for £8k and I do not think I could replace it for that!!

pugwash said:
Once i have received funds from the insurance co i'll put up a detailed report of what happened with the insurance company (who so far have been excellent) and where and how they valued the truck- i undervalued it and it has cost me a couple of k i think! hope to show other not to lose by the same mistake....
Looking forward to this report / information.

Sad, for your truck, but that's a lot of money they are asking you for, to buy it back.

Gra.

Back