Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seats - electric/manual/heated/unheated

Shayne, can I ask if you checked the drivers or the passenger side?

Shayne, can I ask if you checked the drivers or the passenger side?
Because, in a mad, painkiller-induced haze, I went out on the old crutches and had a looksee. In the dark (told you all I was climbing the walls lol).
Found this on the passenger side
20131116_192002.jpg
So you can imagine what a happy bunny I was.
Figured I'd have a quick butchers at the drivers side.
20131116_192344.jpg
Not good thinks I. So I figured, as access was a lot tighter than the passenger side, due to the rear heating aux fan, that I would ping off the kick plate/sill cover and lift the carpet that way......
20131116_192817.jpg
Not good at all...........
Obviously I will need to ping out the drivers seat and get the carpet up properly but at this stage it looks like the loom for the electric seat is there for the passenger side but not the drivers side. Hmmm

If it's on the passengers side then 99% it'll be on the drivers side, as said probably in another location under the seat

It was the drivers side i found Jonny i cant really figure out where you are with them pics but you want to be looking around the front bolts you will undo to remove seats .

Closer pic of wiring emerging from carpet.

Attachments

• P1020400.JPG
    P1020400.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 132
Drivers seat
heatedseats004_zpsba53c486.jpg
Passenger seat
heatedseats003_zps3bd21434.jpg

And it seems very likely to me you will find the switch wiring under the centre console where the cup holder etc is .

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So, with the help of master JB, drivers seat is out (well, on the double-bed in the boot lol).
This is what we found:-
20131117_155858.jpg
So no loom on the drivers side 100% definite. Which would seem to concur with the "missing" loom for the heated seats........
Whipped the footwell kickplate off to find this what looks to be back-to-back connector point - with nothing going to or from it
20131117_155936.jpg
So I am wondering if that's where the seat loom comes from.....
But yet, as I said last night, the loom/connector is there on the passenger side (although I haven't yet had that side seat out/carpet/kickplate out to see where that enters into the main loom etc)
20131116_192002.jpg

Would i be right in thinking you own 2 Colorado's and 1 has heated seats but you would like to swap them into your other truck ? If so all your answers and parts are sitting on your drive .

No Shayne but I can see why you'd say that and that is part of the next stage so to speak -
Car 1 = Black over velour gx td all manual no heated seats
Car 2 = white over grey leather grande v6 electric but not heated seats.
White car up for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221318478934?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 as is so can't nab the loom/interior out of it - the only thing I can do is trace the drivers loom but it's an aussie import so could in theory be different, plus it's not got heated seats.
I have been offered a grey leather electric heated interior for the black car by a member here - hence all my questioning/generally being a PITA lol

Last edited:
Thinking laterally - is it possible to use the seat pads off the leather electric set and stick them on my manual frames? That would solve the adjustment issues in a stroke, then I guess I would have to forego the heating?

I think the wire has been removed by the previous owner as it makes no sense that you have only one electric seat connector especially as its on the passenger side . If we had a bit of decent weather i would chase mine back , see if it ended at the socket you found in the foot well and if it did remove it and send it to you . I will never use it i'm a neanderthal i much prefer levers over buttons lol .

Yeah, I'm with shayne on this one, If the passenger side one is there then the drivers one has to be, it's not like Toyota to make various wiring Harnesses for different specs. There's a possibility it's hidden somewhere else...

I think the wire has been removed by the previous owner as it makes no sense that you have only one electric seat connector especially as its on the passenger side . If we had a bit of decent weather i would chase mine back , see if it ended at the socket you found in the foot well and if it did remove it and send it to you . I will never use it i'm a neanderthal i much prefer levers over buttons lol .

Shayne, that's a lovely gesture, thanks.
However, it probably wouldn't help.
The loom will doubtless go back to a connector somewhere.
I am almost certain it'll be the back to back point I have shown in a picture earlier in the thread.
But there is no loom coming to the connector in the first place - so there is no power supply etc.
What I need to do (and may do today if I can be ar*ed....and the painkillers do a better job than they are currently doing) is pop off the passenger sill plate on the black one, the footwell cover too and see where the mysterious loom for the passenger goes, then do the same in the footwell of the white OZ one and see if it is the correct connector point, then try to trace back from there to point of origination. Hopefully it will be an ancilliary loom ie it doesn't enter and become part of the main loom - if that's the case it's chat to the breakers time. Or if it looks to be a pain in the a*se, abandon altogether.
With regards to your earlier comment of the heated seats loom being hidden somewhere - bearing in mind the seat one is missing it's not likely (especially as the console is partly out already to check!!).
Cheers
John

So
Today I ventured outside. Brrrrrrr!
Checked white petrol VX - the loom for the drivers seat does follow the route of the aux rear heater (as per earlier pics on this thread). Giveaway is its a lot thicker. Doddle to check - pop off the sill plate after taking the screws out.
20131119_135453.jpg
So with that in mind I thought it would be useful to see where it goes from there. Off comes the footwell kickplate - for those who don't know how - lift up the bottom edge in the doorway where it goes over the door seal/sill plate, then pull towards back of the car. Easy.
And I was right - the bottom of the connector blocks is occupied so I can only assume that is the one. Didn't disconnect as my hands were bl00dy freezing.
20131119_135536.jpg
Traced the other side of the connector and off it goes into the main loom. I know the seat heating fuse is in the kneehole fusebox, but I believe the electric seats one is under the bonnet.
With that in mind I can only assume that there is a different loom for the gx and vx 5 door. To add insult to injury I pinged off the centre console trans tunnel cover - the loom was there for the heated seats clipped away down the nearside.......
Now, why would the loom be there on Shayne's car and not mine when his has manual seats which has caused us a bit of confusion/diversion??
Seemples.
His is a 3 door - therefore (presumably) you would never have electric adjustment as the seats tip up so will always be manual, therefore (as far as the seats go anyway), the only difference between the GX and the VX would be heated/not heated. So therefore I would presume that for a swap of cloth to leather on a 3 door car, all you need to do is grab a heated set of front 3 dr seats, switches (£25), and chuck them in.
After what seams like a long trek, I have abandoned the thoughts of retrofitting leather unless I can somehow get a seat that are manual adjustment (perhaps a GX which had manual leather interior as an option perhaps?).
What I would say as a note of caution to anyone in a similar quandary is - if you want leather easily and need a 5 door buy a VX, but don't be shy of buying an unheated one - that part is straightforward!!!

Big thanks to all. It goes without saying, if anything concluded in this latest post by me is definitively incorrect, please do mention it. I hope my little journey with it proves useful to someone in the future :)

Have you considered heated pants?

Would seem a whole lot easier.

IIRC I am sure I have seen heated seat covers in the past?????

Back