Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Should we be worried or suspicious?

Marius De Kock

Country Flag
south_africa
[FONT=&amp]Urgent – can anyone help.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]We have just had this card placed on our truck today.

[/FONT] Wanted for Export.jpg

Our neighbour saw a brand new double cab vehicle drive into their parking bay in our small cul-de-sac, a big burly man got out a and placed this card on Sundance and immediately left. He did not place a card on other vehicles (another van was there 4 spaces up). Should we be worried or suspicious?

Any comments and thoughts would be welcomed.

Last edited:
I can't open the attachment Marius... Is it an offer of purchase?

Yep. Probably just scouting for potential vehicles to buy. A bit like the flyers that estate agents put through the door. I wouldn't have thought he'd leave his calling card if he had other intentions. But its always good to have the neighbours on the look out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Be a bit daft to place a flier and then pinch it, but then again there are some pretty daft people out there!

We have updated our neighbours and now parked our very small IQ in front of the truck blocking her in. Do you have any suggestions of how to secure her as she is parked on the driveway every day?

Can you rig a CCTV system (possibly wireless remote for ease of install)? Or a PIR floodlight? Did your neighbour get a reg number of the pickup?

You might also want to check with local PCSO to see if anyone's 'lost' a vehicle which could be linked to this guy - if they are anything like our local PCSOs (rural) they will do all they can to help (I appreciate every area has different priorities).

Hopefully he's Kosher.

Is your drive concrete Marius. If so I would consider one of these.
http://www.keytrak4security.co.uk/bulldog-ga80-fold-down-post-958-p.asp
CCTV is a con (Coming from a CCTV installer) Don't get me wrong if you are willing to spend £££££££££'s then you can get some good quality images of people nicking your stuff in the dark but for £50 all you are going to do is waste time squinting at a screen trying to figure out if it was a person or a dog.

IMHO Preventing the vehicle being stolen in the first place is by far a better option hence I recommend the above. £50 and the car can't be driven away without considerable noise/time/effort.

@Jon - I agree, just worried that they might scouting out to pass on info to third parties. with the long dark days and me working away from home, I just don't want to give anyone an opportunity.
With long dark days
@Euan - A floodlight would never work as our neighbour (to the left hand side) walk's next door to his girlfriend :romance-adore:(who is on our righthand side), so he is forever going back and forth, also he is an insomnic so it will be like a disco out there..! Like the idea of a CCTV and will contact the local PCSO and have a chat.

Can I disable the truck in any other way to make it harder/impossible for them to take?

@Chris - :clap: thats an excellant idea, our driveway is tarmac like on the road - I wouldn't even mind putting 3 around her to prevent and protect her..!

Last edited:
Post is a good idea but the lock will be off in 20 seconds with a grinder. If the threat of the truck being lifted is high, can you rent garage space somewhere? Failing that then I would go CCTV and an in vehicle tracker but a decent one.

The big boys will just winch it into the back of a truck and have it away, the other scrotes will try and drive off in it so a decent tracker may cover both threats, CCTV just adds evidence to plod if the quality is good enough.

How about another fuel change over solenoid, with the inlet that's connected when powered just connected to a pipe that T'd into the fuel filler breather and the other inlet connected to the real fuel line. Wire it through a hidden switch to IGN and leave it switched OFF to use and ON to disable. In the ON position, if the IGN circuit gets power the pump will be sucking air and they won't get very far... add a buzzer powered from the same feed to remind you you're sucking air :think: EDIT to add only helps drive away theft, not winching onto a truck.

The lock may be off in 20 with a grinder but it is a massive deterrant. Seeing someone winching onto the back of a lowloader could mean anything. Breakdown(not a lc but you lnow what i mean) repossestion. Etc. However someone chopping through a lock is alot more likely to arrouse suspicion. Trackers are ok. Great you can find your truck once it has been stolen but imho what you really want is for the truck not to be stolen in the first place. For the money you might as well stick up a dummy camera as for reasonable money you are unlikely to get a picture good enough to read the writing on the tow truck let alone secure a conviction on the guys face. This is one of the main reasons that a CCTV system is unlikely to reduce you home ins premiums.
I still think that £50 on a lockable post is the most cost effective way. Lets be right, the best you can hope for is to pass the problem onto your neighbour. Sorry but thats just the way it is.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Nice dose of reality there on the CCTV Chris, thanks as I must admit I've thought (not very hard mind) about cheap CCTV a few times before now.

@Trevor - I would love to have a garage big enough to fit our truck, that would be first prize.

@Jon - That sound like a nice complicated option for the more advanced person. Let's call that Stage Two.

@Red - Thanks for the link.

@Chris - I still like your idea about the Security Posts.

Back