Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Side-exit exhaust on an 80-Series

do you guys think it is possible to build ur exhaust as part of your rock sliders? and what complication could their be?

edit: im asking because were i go il have a crushed exhaust pipe if it exits under the rock slider...

Surely you'd still crush your exhaust pipe if it was part of the slider, it's still the lowest point of contact? It would need to exit above the lowest point of the rockslider in order to protect it, which might be difficult!

Maybe Fraser is suggesting running the exhaust gasses through the slider tubes? :think: :whistle:

do you guys think it is possible to build ur exhaust as part of your rock sliders? and what complication could their be?

edit: im asking because were i go il have a crushed exhaust pipe if it exits under the rock slider...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it was possible, and I don't see why not, the tubes would have to be of a large diameter, at least the same as the original exhaust and of very thick walls to withstand the knocks. :think:

I don't know the 80 series but if your certain you will damage the exhaust might it be an idea to split it into a couple of 1.5 inch pipes to make routing easier ?

IMO using a fixed tube mounted on the chassis would be asking for problems with the system trying to flex with the engine, the single flex fitting near the turbo is bad enough, let alone having at least one more to fail.

Im on the road now. Il draw u a picture later on. Im talking about going through the slider with the exhaust. Ie leaving a hole in the slider for the exhaust

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My heart skipped a beat yesterday when my 2 year old grandson put his hand on my tailpipe which exits to the side behind the rear mudflap , thankfully it had cooled enough and no harm was done but it's something you might want to consider .

My heart skipped a beat yesterday when my 2 year old grandson put his hand on my tailpipe.... it's something you might want to consider .
I haven't got one yet, but if I do I'll get him to give it a go :icon-biggrin:

My drivers side slider gets a bit warm from the exhaust, the gaurd for the cats gets really warm if been driving at low speed/sat in traffic.

Ok here is a simple representation of what I am considering. If I build a rock slider and leave a hole just larger than the exhaust pipe, so that the exhaust can run "through" the rock slider but not directly touch the slider as per red arrow.

I will just have to secure the tail pipe so that it does not move much at the tip, otherwise it will rattle against the slider. Will have to work out some kind of heat shield....

exhaust.jpg
yes?

You could wrap the tail pipe with glass fibre heat shield, the type they use on headers, to make it a snug fit in the slider and stop rattling.

For what its worth my 80 had some weird after market exhaust - after a bit of fettling I removed the rear box and was amazed by the change in performance - turbo spools much quicker and the truck revs through to 4000 rpm cleanly now.

Back