Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sigh! --Will I Ever Find One?

Cheers. Not a bad price and it's not too far from me. Pity about the short MOT and several previous advisories on the lower ball joints. Which I know are 'one of those things' that tends to go on these. But I'd imagine a bit of a stinker of a job. I'll add it to my watchlist though.

[and another website for me to compulsively visit!]

Actually, I had seen this one before. I knew 'Nelson in Lancashire' rung a bell. It's also on eBay:

One thing to bear in mind Stu, is that Colorado's have a tendency to rot the chassis from the inside to the outside. This only manifests itself when a small hole appears on the bottom of the chassis just rear of the middle silencer. On investigation there's 2' of welding to do. They are also known for collecting mud etc in the last part of the chassis where it stays doing no good.
Really thorough inspection is the key.

Funnily enough, that's exactly where there was a wee hole on that one I went to see in Rotherham. I wasn't sure if it had rotted through there [as well as crumbling near the axle hanger], or if it was a drain hole that had got a bit manky.

These drain holes ?

No. it was on the bottom of the main front - back chassis rail, about a foot forward of the rear axle.

If I'd thought on, I could have looked at the other rail to see if there was one there too. But I'd pretty much seen all I wanted to see by that stage.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You seem to be going through what I did when I was looking. I was lucky in the one I found eventually within about 3 months of looking is a gem, not the colour I would have picked but that’s not a problem given the excellent condition it was in. I must have looked and contacted about 20 and usually dismissed them within minutes of seeing some pictures or reading the MOT history. You will find one and you know what to look for.
I’m delighted with mine, it’s such a versatile vehicle. I thought the one in Slough looked good and if memory serves had a good MOT history?
By the way I think the binnacle with the compass and altimeter thingy was only on Prado’s and not on Collies.
Good luck the search.

By the way I think the binnacle with the compass and altimeter thingy was only on Prado’s
Yeah we had it on the highest grade Grande Prado here but on the normal GXL, GX and RV versions we don't heck they don't even have airbags or ABS unless you opted for the safety package!

Last edited:
lower ball joints. Which I know are 'one of those things' that tends to go on these.
They seize & seem good , no play of course & then let go without warning - happened to me and Bob from Scotland.I would change em , top & bottom on a new vehicle.

Hello I'm new to the forum been kicking it around about selling mine family out grown it had it 17 years, 1kzte engine 150000 on the clock, green in colour reg no A14 lwm.
just had new tyres, striped the seats and re tighten them, carpet jet washed during lockdown, loads off receipts from over the years. During lock down done bottom ball joints new calipers, all brake pipes. I know what it worth and I'm not giving it away I would rather park it up. If your not to far from Liverpool we could meet up and see what you think.

Hi. Sounds interesting. And the MOT history is pretty good. What kind of figure were you thinking of? And, have you got any piccies? Needless to say some of the underside round the rear axle would be useful.

BTW --I'm in MCR. So not too far away.

LBJ's you would want to sort ASAP but I don't think it's too bad a job - plenty of vids on youtube about changing them (see below) but I'm guessing corrosion etc could be a PITA like for any job.

New 98 Collie up on Land Cruiser Mart (UK) on FB. Don’t know how to link to those pages. Seller under ‘Freddie George’ near Wakefield. Lots pics but none of underside.

Really nice looking 1995 Surf on fb, its on HPOC Marketplace, 95k miles, £3,200.00

It is. of course, north of the Wall.......

Stuzbot I will get some photos for you, the rear axle case looks alright it has had one turret repaired and the rear inner sills have been patched the chassis is solid. I wire wheeled the chassis and painted it.

Back