Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Site Upgrade (Something has has nothing to do with COVID-19)

Thanks all,

Some repsonses

The "App" tutorial is there now. Have a look in the Forum FAQ section for it. Android only for the time being.

I had the same thought when I was working on it during the upgrade testing. It could be a bit more distinct. On the list.

Weirdly, there is a dark theme but it looked awful as it was red on black....
Is this the site ?

@Chas I've reset the cache for your account and realigned the jiggle pin. Hopefully this has an improvement.

@Towpack - Ditto. I can't see anything particularity different between anything new and old. Hopefully this helps.

C
Pages are loading quicker now, thank you Crispin.

Thankfully the site is working faster for me now but unless I'm looking at the wrong place I can't find a 'My Posts' link or a 'Recent posts' link, are they there under a different name Crispin?

Recent posts is now, ' Whats new'........

Not quite. There were two functions. New posts - ie those I have not read and recent posts which were posts that had been read but wanted to go back to quickly. I think the feature may now be called latest activity which is under the what's new menu Chas. The other item is under find threads

Just checked and yes, they work as the old headings did

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not quite. There were two functions. New posts - ie those I have not read and recent posts which were posts that had been read but wanted to go back to quickly. I think the feature may now be called latest activity which is under the what's new menu Chas. The other item is under find threads

Just checked and yes, they work as the old headings did
Thanks Chris, but why it all needed changing escapes me, 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'

But that's the point Chas, the old platform and software was past its useable date and could no longer be patched against security risks and we therefore could have exposed our information to the bad guys.

But that's the point Chas, the old platform and software was past its useable date and could no longer be patched against security risks and we therefore could have exposed our information to the bad guys.
Well it seems to me there's updating and there's changing, I still think it been changed too much!

It's like going from win 7 to win 10 similar but different.

One thing I'm sure of Crispin has much more fun things to do than do these upgrades, the prep work and effort is hours....

So it's like it or lump it as my old Gran used to say.

Yes Chas, it is. The upgrade had to happen for reasons you cannot or don't want to understand. Let's leave that topic now shall we, comfortable in the knowledge that it's a good thing and that there will be more upgrades in the future.

As Tony said, I've got a shit load more fun things to do than do an upgrade and listen to you moan about it. Like your nan said - lump it or leave it.

Thanks @Chris and @Higgy (for being constructive and identifying the features). Would it help if I put those into a new heading along the menu for easier access?

C

Yes Chas, it is. The upgrade had to happen for reasons you cannot or don't want to understand. Let's leave that topic now shall we, comfortable in the knowledge that it's a good thing and that there will be more upgrades in the future.

As Tony said, I've got a shit load more fun things to do than do an upgrade and listen to you moan about it. Like your nan said - lump it or leave it.

Thanks @Chris and @Higgy (for being constructive and identifying the features). Would it help if I put those into a new heading along the menu for easier access?

C
OK Crispin, my last post then on this subject. At the risk of retaliation I think a lot of the posts from satisfied folk are from people who just like anything ‘new’ and don’t like upsetting the apple cart, I have no such qualms as you may have noticed.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but as far as I know we had no warning of this upgrade, it would have been nice to be informed rather than have it thrust upon us.

Of course “leave it” is an option for me as much as I might regret it. I have had a lot of valuable information from this site and I hope have contributed a lot of humour as I don’t have technical knowledge to contribute.

I’m an old Victor Meldrew these days and dislike change for the sake of change, but I suppose it’s inevitable in the IT world that updates have to be a regular occurrence ...

We’ll done anyway Cris, I’m sure it’s a nightmare come true in practice.
I‘m sure I can say we do appreciate all your back-room efforts to keep this forum on the rails:thumbup:

One observation, members avatars look fresher than they used to, it seems. :shifty:
I think I turn 84 next week and these changes had me bebuggared( that’s a Kiwi saying)but I guess we will get used to it so all the best to all and keep clear of CV.

I think I turn 84 next week and these changes had me bebuggared( that’s a Kiwi saying)but I guess we will get used to it so all the best to all and keep clear of CV.
You don't look 84 :character-oldtimer: :thumbup:

Chas, like you I will speak my mind when necessary, which has got me in a lot of shit in the past. I don't regret any of it.
I resent your comments about ' people liking anything new and not wanting to upset the apple cart,' in positive posts made by some, including me. I am of an age where I dont particularly like change, but have to accept from time to time, things do move on, and If you re read my post you will see I wasnt to keen to start but it is growing. so I am giving it a chance. If it isnt to my liking as time passes, I just have to accept the changes are for for the good future of the club and if I dont like it, I have a choice as we all have.
Interestingly, there are a lot of members who havent posted one way or the other, do they come under 'not wanting to upset the apple cart ?
Please do not take this as 'not wanting to upset the apple cart or in another way 'brown nosing', in defence of Crispin, as the thoughts are my own and honest.
You have been here a whole lot longer than myself, and your contribution to the club, like others, is very much appreciated. I have been on many other forums as well as landcruiser, when things have gone down with in house arguing, which has then proressed into sniping and nastiness, (not suggesting this of you) when people take sides, and others leave in droves. Thanks for reading my rant, no disrespect intended, and in agreement with you, I am still experiencing long loading delays, freezing and occassionally going to a thread or a post I have not clicked on.
Crispin.......!

Chas, like you I will speak my mind when necessary, which has got me in a lot of shit in the past. I don't regret any of it.
I resent your comments about ' people liking anything new and not wanting to upset the apple cart,' in positive posts made by some, including me. I am of an age where I dont particularly like change, but have to accept from time to time, things do move on, and If you re read my post you will see I wasnt to keen to start but it is growing. so I am giving it a chance. If it isnt to my liking as time passes, I just have to accept the changes are for for the good future of the club and if I dont like it, I have a choice as we all have.
Interestingly, there are a lot of members who havent posted one way or the other, do they come under 'not wanting to upset the apple cart ?
Please do not take this as 'not wanting to upset the apple cart or in another way 'brown nosing', in defence of Crispin, as the thoughts are my own and honest.
You have been here a whole lot longer than myself, and your contribution to the club, like others, is very much appreciated. I have been on many other forums as well as landcruiser, when things have gone down with in house arguing, which has then proressed into sniping and nastiness, (not suggesting this of you) when people take sides, and others leave in droves. Thanks for reading my rant, nointended, and in agreement with you, I am still experiencing long loading delays, freezing and occassionally going to a thread or a post I have not clicked on.
Crispin.......!
Thank you for those comments, read with interest and no disrespect was taken. I don't think ALL the comments were made by people not wanting to upset the apple cart but I am certain SOME were.
I know I can be cantankerous at times but I hope not nasty.
I must say the speed of loading has improved for me, one question though, is there any way of when clicking on 'New Posts' it can show all new posts rather than unread ones?

Chas, I then to use the "What's New" link thing and it shows the threads with new comments, similar to the old forum.

Chas, I then to use the "What's New" link thing and it shows the threads with new comments, similar to the old forum.
Thanks Tony, I'll give it a try.

Now I’ve got used to the new format and where things are it’s as easy as ever to navigate but, I‘m afraid to say, it’s desperately slow again tonight. 7-10 secs to load a page, a real PITA and can’t fathom out why. Anyone else having this issue?

Back