Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Site Upgrade (Something has has nothing to do with COVID-19)

Chas, thanks for your comments, this is very nice way to have different opinions, of which everyone is entitled to. All to often any difference of opinion gives offence, and I am happy you have not adopted that stance, because I took you to task. I think we both know there was no disrespect intended either way, just a reaction (mine) to your post
I do not find you nasty as said, cantankerous......Ive got that in shed loads, ask my Mrs. or some previous employers, lol. It would be a shame if you felt you had to "lump it", this is a great little club, made great by members such as yourself. I always dislike things that change because I have got comfortable with the way things work, and then that way no longer works and it takes me a while to re adapt, especially I.T. stuff.
Must be my age !!
On that note Tony P has the answer to your question, cos I didn't know. ( now I do) Thanks Tony
Cheers Chas.

@Crispin the one thing that would be nice to have back is the link to the "What's New" shortcut to be available at the top when you are in a thread. It saves me a couple of clicks, and at my hourly rate thats a lot is wasted time :imp:

@Crispin the one thing that would be nice to have back is the link to the "What's New" shortcut to be available at the top when you are in a thread. It saves me a couple of clicks, and at my hourly rate thats a lot is wasted time :imp:

That link is there all the time wether I’m viewing a thread, logged in or not. Are you not seeing it?

but its there at the top

Screenshot_20200404-220041.jpg

Nope not for me. I'm on android

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hit the little info square thing and it takes you to what's new

It's like going from win 7 to win 10 similar but different.

I've had 2 years to get used to that move and its not happening , win 10 is like win 7 with all the user friendly stuff removed . I don't much care one way or another and i do understand things must be kept up to date technically but it does baffle me why a tab/button habitually used without thought must be relocated and renamed with every upgrade when it does exactly the same thing anyway ?

Yahoo have been trying to force me to upgrade my email box for about 10 years but i still cringe remembering that one time i accidentally hit yes then spent an entire day undoing the error .

The forum works fine for me , though i need to remove it from my adblock permissions , but then the forum is for leisure so i have time and patience to adapt , but this habit of change for changes sake must cost business thousands of man hours lost by people having to figure out all over again how to do the very same thing they did every day for a year right up until yesterday .

Having worked with IT for the last 20 years or so I can fully understand the need for upgrades. I don’t think “change for changes sake” applies here. Most changes or upgrades are brought about by the need to counter the continually evolving security threat. Having gone through countless platform upgrades at work over the years, the one thing I have come to expect is that minor glitches and niggles are to be expected and can, usually, be tweaked and ironed out later. Rare is the update that works 100% first time round. The main issue that will affect forum users are the changes to the GUI or the difference in “appearance” compared to the old but sometimes these are unavoidable. JMO

I only access the website from my phone and have had no problems at all. The performance is actually better than the previous site, things seem to load faster and there are a lot less assets ( I am logged in, and I am a sponsor... ). There is also a lot more content thrown in to the top, so I need to scroll a lot less, to get to the bottom of the content / thread.

I am also accessing the site in the small goes off the morning, maybe that has something to do with it. But overall, not a single complaint. Great stuff.

I pay membership and i have ads for gear oil a the top of this page and hand stitched leather shoes at the bottom , some threads i see ads between previous posts ?

Now I’ve got used to the new format and where things are it’s as easy as ever to navigate but, I‘m afraid to say, it’s desperately slow again tonight. 7-10 secs to load a page, a real PITA and can’t fathom out why. Anyone else having this issue?

Is it all pages or just some? I've just been trying to change my bookmarks from the old page I used to land on (Land Cruiser Club - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] = /community) and it takes a bit of time to move to the new landing page.

However, if I use What's new - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] (= /community/whats-new) which seems to be the equivalent it's much quicker.

Hope that helps - I think if we all work together we can work it all out.

Having worked with IT for the last 20 years or so I can fully understand the need for upgrades. I don’t think “change for changes sake” applies here. Most changes or upgrades are brought about by the need to counter the continually evolving security threat. Having gone through countless platform upgrades at work over the years, the one thing I have come to expect is that minor glitches and niggles are to be expected and can, usually, be tweaked and ironed out later. Rare is the update that works 100% first time round. The main issue that will affect forum users are the changes to the GUI or the difference in “appearance” compared to the old but sometimes these are unavoidable. JMO
I do accept that 'some' changes can be necessary but as Shayne said "it does baffle me why a tab/button habitually used without thought must be relocated and renamed with every upgrade when it does exactly the same thing anyway ?" for instance why did 'Recent posts' need to be renamed 'What's new' and put in a different place? when it could have been left alone.

I used to have awful delays on the previous platform, but ever since the change it's lightning fast. That leads me to believe it's a settings issue, and not a site wide issue, but I don't know enough about interwebs.

Not the banners, was the shortcut thing.

Due to issues with the site stalling my computer after logging on it became a miserable experience, this despite various attempts by Crispin and myself to get this sorted we both failed , so I used the site as little as possible.

By chance this morning I log on and see a new look and lo and behold the upgrades have made everything work!

So whatever the problem was it has gone, so many thanks.

regards

Dave

Back