Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sliders and they're all mine!!!

If you were a decent sort of chap, you would take two weeks off work and make a few sets for us all...... at material cost of course :lol:

Good job for me that I am an utter barsteward then Paul. :obscene-buttred:

Jon mentioned that he might make up some more sets. Perhaps we might be able to do something between us. I could make the legs sets and he might fit the bars. I dunno. There is a demand for sure. But you guys, in all seriousness, need to work out what you'd be prepared to pay for them. They can't be £100 a set that's for sure. Rough cost of steel, brackets and U bolts alone is around £140 plus welding consumables, grinding discs etc. Add on time as well and coating if you wanted it and you have to start looking at the Frog's Island ones as being a good deal. This is why making them yourself IS cheap, because the time is free. But making them commercially isn't.

Chris

The 'standard' ones are 35Kg a side. That's with 31mm OD 2mm wall tube for the slider. When I get the jigs back I'll make a few sets with 50mm OD 2mm wall tube and see how they go.

Maybe the 50 mm 4mm wall is a bit overkill. Still easy to weld, eh.

Chris

I think making a few sets to sell is a dam good idea. Not to sure about the heavy weight ones the 35kg set sounds good and be easy to straighten with a BIG ammer.

Can I have a set unfinished please as in no coating.

Mal

Just worth mentioning that the extra weight of any sliders not just my Panzersliders is is a very good place to counterbalance extra gubbins on the roof rack. We've been talking recently about fuel storage etc up top. Well, I think that these go some way to countering that. Moving spare wheels to the back door, sticking on roof tents and racks etc all shifts the COG of a std cruiser. Having gone over once before, I have no desire to have that toppy-tippy feeling again. I have widened the track slightly with spacers - remember I'm going to 255's this week so they need pushing out a little anyway. I have my spare under-slung and air tank will be underneath too. With a addition at some point of a Gav special belly plate and new steel winch bumpers, it should feel pretty planted. The odd jerry can on the roof shouldn't be a problem now.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As long as you're not in too much of a hurry Mal, the jigs are still out on loan plus holiday season is approaching :D What I found in the past when I had a garage full of slider kits was that people don't realise how much work goes into 80 series sliders and so not many people will put up the money for them.

Why aren't people on here who want 80 series sliders buying the Frogs Island or OEC sliders? That's what puzzles me, I assumed that once Frogs started making them there'd be no need for mine.

Chris said:
Moving spare wheels to the back door
We put a swing out carrier on Ian's red car at the weekend and using an OEM lower plate and a wildsmith upper plate it is very solidly mounted, no worries about it not being up to the job ;)

Jon Wildsmith said:
As long as you're not in too much of a hurry Mal, the jigs are still out on loan plus holiday season is approaching :D What I found in the past when I had a garage full of slider kits was that people don't realise how much work goes into 80 series sliders and so not many people will put up the money for them.

I am sure yours will be made better than frogg. I dont like to buy cheap kit as you know you only get what you pay for.
So I am well up for a set anyway.

If you want some ££££££ up front let me know.

No big trips planned until next year.

Have you thought about rear bumpers for a 80 there seems so much wasted space. You could have a bumper /tool box on the back. mmmmm.

Sorry Jon - my comment about spare wheels was in relation to raising the COG of the truck. Never doubted that it was possible to do it solidly at all. Unless you were making a general comment that you'd done this at the weekend. But you have to admit that sticking a dirty great big wheel up there does raise the COG.

Chris

Jon Wildsmith said:
We put a swing out carrier on Ian's red car at the weekend
I feel I am the temporary custodian of the red car :lol: It has wandering DNA.

OT - The catch has given up again, they are sending a replacement.

Ian

Just a general comment for those interested in the Direct4x4 OEM knock off carriers which your post reminded me about, the mounting is very solid if you use an OEM lower plate and a bent bit of 6mm plate at the top, with a little bit of fettling it goes together quite well.

Ian Rubie said:
I feel I am the temporary custodian of the red car :lol: It has wandering DNA.
I nearly just said the red car :lol:

SilverLady said:
I am sure yours will be made better than frogg. I dont like to buy cheap kit as you know you only get what you pay for.
So I am well up for a set anyway.
I've not seen a frogs set to pass comment but I know mine are stronger than the Slee ones that I used to have and broke a couple of U-bolts on before selling them to someone at Frogs :mrgreen:

SilverLady said:
Have you thought about rear bumpers for a 80 there seems so much wasted space. You could have a bumper /tool box on the back. mmmmm.
No reference vehicle, talk to Chris ;)

Watch this space - or one just like it anyway. I will be getting around to a rear winch bumper at some point. Got to get sliders on (tomorrow - whoopee) and then start on the front winch bumper. The Frog one (rear) is neat, but it doesn't actually do anything except be a bumper. All that money and it's just a bumper. No reciever, BBQ stand, bog seat, wheel carrier etc. Not even a cubby box.

Chris

Well what a difference a bit of finishing can make. They've gone from ugly ducklings to Black Swans!

IMGP4088.jpg

IMGP4089.jpg

IMGP4090.jpg

Can't wait to get them bolted on. All I need now is some wheels.

Chris

Attachments

• IMGP4088.jpg
    IMGP4088.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMGP4089.jpg
    IMGP4089.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 88
  • IMGP4090.jpg
    IMGP4090.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 91
very shiny and very nice. You know they won't stay like that for long dont you! :whistle:

very nice
the driveway has some nice potholes :lol:

They might Tony, as long as I don't let you drive :doh: :doh: :D

Might put some grip tape on the tops, not that I really stand on there, but the coating would get worn off eventually if I did. It comes on rolls of 50mm which would be just right.

Andy, our drive is a mess. The previous owners had it over-tarmaced by some cheeky, but clearly highly competent non uk nationals. It is coming up in sheets and where we park, the last turn of the wheels rips up the loose stuff. Added to which jacking up various cars has dug into the soft sections where all the run off collects, freezes and spalls it off even more. Not that I can afford a new drive, but what would I go for? Block pave would be OK, concrete would be ideal. But who wants a concrete drive. Even that coloured stuff.

New thread required on that I think.

Chris

I had my drive done with block paving, but with the weight of the cruiser they have settled where it parks and drives on and off.
Chas

Back