Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Slop in the drive train. No really?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
OK, this is hardly ground breaking but you know that I like to add to the written knowledge bank from time to time.

It's not often that you have a whole front drive train sitting on the bench, so today with more bits that than I knew what to do with I had a play.

What surprised me was how much play there was in the whole thing - and where that play was. OK, it's been a while since mine rolled of the ploduction rine in Japan, but it's all in good condition with 70k on the clock. I know that we need some slip in there, don't get me wrong. I tried a variety of components to see if there were any parts that were more worn that others. 4 different shafts, drive flanges etc., You get the picture. However the diff is a JW and therefore beyond question. Barely a gnat's chuff of play. Not too much, not too little.

The first connection was the drive shaft into the diff. Noticeable play there in the splines. Next was the drive shaft into the CV. OK not new CVs but in good condition. Obviously a bit more rotational slop there. Then the outer CV shaft into the drive flange. This was the least of all. Pretty good actually. So when all assembled there was a few degrees in it. And all of this without moving the diff gears at all.

As usual, there isn't much point to this other than to say that when you rock your wheels looking for play, it's not really possible to tell what is in the diff and what is in the shafts to any accurate degree. BUT and here is the point, when you drive at an obstacle then wham it into reverse and hit the throttle there can be significant rotational slack to take up which is never going to come as a pleasant surprise to your shafts etc

Additionally, I was intrigued by the little bronze sleeves that sit in the stub axles. I tried making up the cv, hub and whatnot on the bench too and I originally thought that the CV would fit quite snugly in the bush - it doesn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. The swivel is solid to the axle tube, the stub solid to the swivel, the hub solid on the stub via the bearings, but the shaft, CV and its shaft have some scope for movement. The front face of the CV near the ABS ring mates up against the bronze bush. So where does it get lubrication from? Not from the CV grease as it's immobile and not from the bearing grease. Now on my old truck the bush used to spin inside the stub axle. But on this one it's solid in the casting. Should they spin? When you torque the wheel bearings up with the big nut, the outer CV is pulled against the bronze bush to 'crush' the taper rollers in the hub. Seems as this would be a wear point and the reason why hub settings would change over time. Shouldn't there really be a bearing in the end of the stub to take the outer CV. Is this why they have changed the design and done just that? It's metal on metal in there. If you are confused or simply exasperated, I can take pics tomorrow.

So, am I missing something (again :roll: ) OK quick edit, of course the nuts DON'T pull the cv against the inside of the stub face, the threads are on the stub. So the axle floats about completely. No friction there. So even more slop then? The longer shaf surely has the potential for more 'whip' if you like. The inner axle oil seals must have a hard life.

That's it really.

Chris

if it makes you feel better- ALL the classic range rovers i had had at least 2" of play in the drivetrain.

i ws very very happy when i bought the 80 :D

I had one with a bush that would spin but I don't think they're supposed to, probably means they've had too many heavy contacts with the shaft and been turned a few too many times?

Jon, just had a read of the FSM. They need to be pressed in, so no they are not supposed to spin.

I find it a bit odd that the outer CV has no real visible means of support other then simply resting on the bottom of the bushing due to gravity. Maybe it simply doesn't matter, but I get the feeling that it works more through luck than actual design. The axle oil is kept largely at bay by the seal but one wonders if you had a drive as steep as yours and you parked across it rather than up it, just how well it would perform after a few K. The shaft must surely settle into the bottom of the seal.

I shall look again tomorrow in daylight and hopefully drier conditions. But in brief, the question remains, what actually supports the drive shaft? Is it that cage that Rob noticed the other week?

Chris

AFAIK the drive flange and the diff side gear provide most of the support.

And on the later model (93 on?) had a deeper drive flange able to give better support to the end of the CV shaft, I suppose. None of this is a problem. Great truck, conquered Worlds and all that, but I find the whole front end a bit surprising. Agricultural even. Lacking in something really clever in terms of design.

Odd thought that is seems to be the short side shaft that tends to have the ABS fault AFAIK than the long side.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And of course all of you will have spotted the deliberate mistake by now... the drive shaft doesn't turn in the stub axle does it. They turn together. Doh. There is still quite a bit of movement though when all assembled. I put the drive flange on today to see what it's all like together. I guess at the inner oil seal there isn't that much movement and gravity probably has the shaft staying low.

Sorry, still kinda intrigued as to how it all works in there.

Chris

Chris said:
And of course all of you will have spotted the deliberate mistake by now... the drive shaft doesn't turn in the stub axle does it. They turn together. Doh
The stub axle doesn't turn, the shaft turns inside it which is why it needs the bush, transfers drive to the drive flange which turns the hub on the outside of the static stub :)

There's always going to be a little play in the shaft assembly being only supported at the ends and also varying degrees of play in the wheel bearing will also move the shaft off centre / into contact with the bush as well.

I was just testing. :whistle:

I was right the first time. Don't really know where I came up with the second hair-brained idea if I am honest Jon. Not enough gin, I suspect. Looking inside the axle tube from the diff end, it looks as though the two metal rings next to the seals actually do take the weight of the shaft. That would make sense.

Chris

Just swapped wiper seals and top and bottom bearings in one side. They were in a bit of a state. Been sitting in water I think. Very nice now.

Ayup yoof :thumbup:

Have you sussed that cv noise out then ? Sounds like you've been busy under the mota !

Still under there mate. Massive weekend. Nearly all rebuilt now. And hour and I should be doe. Time for Spa.

C

The bronze bushes you mention get's some grease from the CV area, these bushes are the cause of many ABS woes as well, as they wear the CV moves up and down in the stub axle. This is commonly experienced as you are braking and run over a pot hole, the CV moves away from the sensor and the ABS triggers.

regards

Dave

Back