Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Slow forums

As these problems didn't exist before the upgrade, all was fine before, and as my PC hasn't had any changes it has to be a problem with the upgrade. If it isn't I will be only too glad to make changes if it can be pointed out what the problem is, but I won't be making changes willy nilly just to try something again I've already tried.
I've tried blocking cookies and allowing cookies, I've tried using a different browser, I've tried using a different bookmark, I've tried entering manually but nothing makes any difference. I'm sorry for all these posts, I'm sure you're getting fed up with it all but I can assure not as fed up as I am getting.

Have you tried from different devices, pc, mobile, tablet? What about from your home network and also via mobile network, from home or from somewhere else?

I only have my PC and I don't use my mobile for the internet, I just can't get on with the piddly screen on a mobile.

As nothing has changed at the users end and many are not having noticeable issues then maybe it is an ISP issue with the time to access something such as those slow ads that a significant part of the load time or some script or maybe a DNS the end user is using. Is it worth looking at what ISP, connection type & DNS the users who are having problems are using. having a large ping or response time being on a long copper line from an exchange with lots of stuff loading could possibly tip the balance. It appears that Chas' problem defaulting back to the Forum List page as well as oops something has gone wrong message could be because of a timeout and possibly retries because of short timeouts causing delays to loading. Does the site's server log these potential errors or retries? Could it also be related to obsolete TLS versions somewhere as when logged in we are using https and having old protocols could cause things to take longer to negotiate and time out. Just throwing a few ideas out there just in case it helps.

Just a suggestion but could it be those having problems all use the same antivirus program ?

I am using Norton 360 which I have been using for years well before the so called upgrade, and if it was an ISP issue surely that would affect all site not just here.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some good input there chaps. Way over my head in terms of advice for sure but as long as we keep trying things. Crispin says he's going to attempt a deeper dive this weekend and really see if he can bottom the issues we're having.

This forum seems much quicker for me again this week, after being slow for months, using my iPad

Thank you very much Chris and Crispin for your efforts, I am usually completely lost on computer techy things.

Chas, I've don'e nothing techy at all fella. Just trying to keep people in the loop. We've already had one new member have a strop because his issue wasn't sorted - given that he'd paid for the premium service.

On picture upload the current version of the forum is well fast with no annoying upload fails. I have very a very poor internet speed by todays standards..

I don't know why there's people with problems but the upgrade but like Shayne said it could be down to the internet security.. I had Norton Chas and it's a right pita to get off the computer and it didn't do much for my puters performance.. too!

My thinking was if you have a permanent shortcut to the forum some security might have recognized the change/upgrade to the forum and marked it down as suspicious activity making the forum slow as it scans every page before allowing it to load . Computers have no common sense remember they are just calculators .

+1 on the Norton it gives itself priority over everything including the user .

Symantec endpoint protection..... intrusion protection... I bet they have a little look inside your calculator Lol!:obscene-sexualkyje::laughing-rolling::thumbup:

I know that this doesn’t help anyone who is having issues but for the past couple of weeks the issues have gone away for me. It used to be a real pita to load any of the pages and would take ages, now it’s not. I’m using the same devices (phone, iPad, pc) and all now have no issues. I recall that ‘some random users were having tweaks made’ don’t know if that happened or not, or if I was one of those but if I was it’s fixed it. However something must have changed, I’m using the same devices, same browser version, same ISP, but getting a much improved response.

I've upgraded to the latest version of everything today.
@Chas - try from another device like your phone or something without Symantec Norton on it.
Alternatively, go in to Symantec Norton and whitelist landcruiserclub.net and www.landcruiserclub.net.
Symantec Norton does some nasty stuff with browsers trying to make sure they're safe.

Nothing you have changed has made any difference, in fact today seems worse than ever. For a number of reasons I don't use my phone for the internet and if Norton interferes with this site then explain why it didn't do so before the upgrade. I still maintain that the upgrade is at fault, the fact that the problem is still unfound doesn't mean it doesn't exist..

I wonder if reverting to the previous version would work?

What happens if you simply delete an account Crispin?

@Chas no harm in trying out the website from your phone as a test. Try it with the WiFi and then with the 4g data. Might help isolate the problem of its the ISP or the antivirus perhaps.

Good idea Chris but this would not be linked to an account. Has no baring. I believe somewhere it was done logged in / not-logged in and still the same on his computer.

Chas - you can drop it now with complaining about the upgrade. It is something specific to your computer / browser / ISP which is incompatible with the site.
The upgrade will not be rolled back and I've turned off everything which might be impacting you. Send me your password and I will log in as you from my laptop. If it works here then it's case closed.

Drop me a line with your details.

Back