Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Smoking 80

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Today I went to my archery club, a 25min drive from my house and parked up. After shooting 12 dozen arrows on a National round which took about an hour and a bit then chatting afterwards over a coffee, so after roughly two hrs I started the 80 to dense clouds of grey smoke.
Once the engine had reached full temp it cleared, but it wouldn't have been stone cold after standing for two hrs, but what could have caused it?:think: it's never done that before, BTW it is running on petrol not LPG at the moment.
On the way back home I tried revving it at the lights when at a standstill but no more smoke appeared.

A web search says its likely the injector seals and many never bother fixing it .

Very anxiously started the Cruiser today :icon-confused: and no trace of smoke :dance:, so why did that happen yesterday. :think:

Last edited:
Maybe just a lump of the carbon soot that lines the inside of all exhausts happened to fall away while it was parked at the archery place ?

Why would that have caused so much smoke for something that was in the exhaust system anyway to have become dislodged and cause that much smoke, the Cruiser literally could not be seen, it was destroyer laying down a smoke screen time.

I saw a prog on the gogglebox the other night, classic car restoration, they were doing an old chevey up they fired it up & clouds & clouds of white smoke, turned out to be a non return valve on the side of the auto box playing up & the engine was sucking atf into it's innards & literally running on atf,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right, oil level check in the morning.

Blue smoke is oil, black smoke excess petrol. So it must be oil. were you parked at a steep angle. Just a trace of oil, a few drops, in and engine makes clouds of dense smoke so you will not have lost any. Overfilling the box or engine?

Frank

Problem solved :thumbup:, I've been to the LPG man this morning because the gas wasn't getting to the engine so was running on petrol all the time. A solenoid on the tank had failed, but the Flashlube system, which should 'talk' to the LPG system, was occasionally going potty and pumping too much Flashlube through, hence the clouds of smoke.
All sorted now. :cool:

Back