Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

smoking wheel after brake and seal replaced

son of beer

I just replaced my brake pads, rotor, caliper and bracket, and I replaced my axle seal because there was a bunch of grease all over the inside of the rotor and I took it for a test drive and there is some faint smoke coming from it.

Anyone have any ideas?

sob

Can you isolate where the smoke is coming from? Since you did mostly break work I assume the smoke could be generated by heat on the disc.. It could be the caliper not releasing as it should and sticking to the rotors? Does your brakes operate fine as they should?

Probably residue from the rotor / pads burning off. Which bit was hot? Was it just the rotor or was the hub hot too? What did you use to get the coating off the rotor? Probably nothing to worry about as long as the wheel turns freely.

The one thing I have had when refitting the front hub is catching and folding the outer lip seal which has then loosened the applied preload as the hub reseats itself into the damaged seal.

Hope this helps.

i expect you have tightern the wheel bearing to much as i assume you have done the hub seal. Or you have a binding or badly fitted caliper.

I agree with comments thus far but is it a front or rear wheel, if at the rear the handbrake shoes could be binding?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back