Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snorket problems...

Cliffy

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All

I can't seem to figure out exactly how the under-bonnet connections should be for the Safari snorkel I've fitted. At the moment the pipe that should connect the snorkel to the filter inlet doesnt fit in the gap (see pic) and I cant see how it can?!

The snorkel itself is fitted exactly where it should be, it's just inside doesn't make sense!

Does anyone have a picture of one fitted to a 2h engine?

Cheers

Cliff

Snorkel outside.png Snorkel inlet.jpg

Yes that is a bit tight.
Don't think I can be much help here other than suggestions as my snorkel is on the right hand side (home-made) and the filter-to-engine pipe does not pass over the top of the engine (I am assuming yours does ?) but if the filter body was spun round is there room for a bend to connect snorkel and filter body, unlikely. It would mean repositioning the filter body mounting tags. But you could move the filter forward a bit to give room for the bend and shorten the filter to engine hose as necessary.
Not much help, I'm afraid but I'll see if I can find something more constructive.

Regards,
Rodger

I think if I were you, I would find a suitably sized 45 or so degree bend and cut a neat hole in the filter box, pass it through cut to shape/length and weld it in. Then blank off the original intake internally leaving whatever is external just for show.
If the snorkel connector is flexible, the bend mentioned above could be solid metal. If the snorkel connector is solid, then i would have a stubby spigot welded to the filter box and use a flexible between it and the snork. If you wanted to be really clever you could take the pipe into the filter box on the tangent so it creates a swirl within which would be beneficial. Just make sure all joints are good and water tight and it's sorted.

Good luck with it.

Hi All

I can't seem to figure out exactly how the under-bonnet connections should be for the Safari snorkel I've fitted. At the moment the pipe that should connect the snorkel to the filter inlet doesnt fit in the gap (see pic) and I cant see how it can?!

The snorkel itself is fitted exactly where it should be, it's just inside doesn't make sense!

Does anyone have a picture of one fitted to a 2h engine?

Cheers

Cliff

View attachment 123690 View attachment 123691

Hello Cliff,
The air filter you have in your engine bay now has to be removed. You buy a after market filter which is long and the out let will go to your snorkel. The other end goes to the engine. It's along round one that you have to buy and fit in inside about the same place as your air cleaner is now. It does fit really nice in there as well.
Hope this helps.
John

Can't you unbolt the box and turn it to meet the snorkel leaving the lid where it is ?

The main trouble is where it is bolted to the guard. From what I am looking at you cannot un bolt it and turn it. the plates that come off the out side on the filter housing will not let you do that unless you cut them off and re weld them back on the housing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cliffy,
I can if you like show you a picture of what a after market air filter looks like.
Some have the sitting on the guard which I would not do. Most have them where the Toyota air filter is now in the engine bay.
John

Cliffy,
I can if you like show you a picture of what a after market air filter looks like.
Some have the sitting on the guard which I would not do. Most have them where the Toyota air filter is now in the engine bay.
John

You can do that for sure if you have a welder. Or you could drill out the spot welds to remove the plates then weld them where you want them to be.
John

The grey tube you see goes the snorkel and the other goes inlet on engine.
john

One thing is to remember to give your self room to where you place the air filter unit so you can remove the inside filter easy ok.
John

Or do what most do and leave the snorkel and air box exactly as is - at least it looks the part. Most people with snorkels never get close to wading depth - they're mostly a fashion thing ;-)

They maybe a fashion thing but what they do is let free air into the engine and help it to run much better and cooler. The way it works now is warm air and does nothing. AND to keep the water away from the air intake.
John

Thank you all very much - you've been great! Apologies for delay getting back, been busy and today got back a couple of hours ago from picking up the 'new' FJ45 from the docks - will post something with 'Elvis' in title so you can see! I asked Don Kyatt/Terrain Tamer in Australia about the filter/snorkel issue and they were brilliant in sending me the real tech diagram (will try to post it here). I also found a pic on the net of the same set up, and I've ordered the flexi-pipe.

Thank again all. Cliffy

Snorkel connection.png

Back