Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snow driving

paul c

As stated before I had an 80 series. When going down or up snow covered hills I would engage low range and difflocks. Have not got handbook yet so my question is this. When low range is engaged do I have the ATRAC button pushed in as well? Can ATRAC be used in high range? Thanks in advance for your replies.

The specs seem different model to model. On my 1995 80 I don't have an ATRAC button.

In HIGH, there's a centre diff-lock, on its own that locks the front to the rear. With this button depressed, I can then use the rear and then both front and rear diff-locks in that order using the axle diff-lock (rotating) control situated to the left of the steering column.

The only difference is that in LOW, the centre diff-lock is automatic, without having to press the centre diff-lock button.

Does all that make sense and is it the same as your 80 Paul?

I would assume with difflocks in atrac would not activate, but apparently not. Diffloacks are mechanical & always over rule traction control.

Are we talking only steep hills? as dont forget you have minimal steering control with the front diff locked up, which might not be helpful in a slide situation where you need to steer!

TBH later 80's with the centre viscous are awesome in the snow even without the difflocks engaged on decent winter tyres anyway

ATRAC button? Didn't know the later ones had a button to turn ATRAC on and off, should just be on all the time :think: that's not the centre diff lock button you mean is it?

Hello Clivehorridge
I agree with your answer but the question was relating to my 53 Plate V8! 100. Sorry if I had not made that clear.

Thanks Jon
Now that you mention it it may be the centre difflock button as it shows 2 axles with a X in the middle. So if thats the case ATRAC is on all the time. Thanks.

the little green ATRAC light will flash when it has to do some work and you will hear and feel it working the brakes. I found it very effective on snow and ice and the fact it just works meant no complicated instructions for Mrs W as to which buttons to press and levers to pull like in her 80 :icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back