Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snow Watch

Beemers are hopeless arent they. Mind u the merc estate was worse. Got stock on 3mm of snow a few years back. Sold it and got my 2nd 80
The original reason for buying a 4x4

Last edited:
20180302_162025.jpg
Wohoo. Finally some snow!

Beemers are hopeless arent they. Mind u the merc estate was worse. Got stock on 3mm of snow a few years back. Sold it and got my 2nd 80
Absolutely, company car so not my first choice, sadly asthmatic 520d. Great for motorway cruising, but not much else. Mind you done 13k miles in 6 months without having to refill the screen wash

A9B9CF6E-FF25-4619-8A0D-DA61E0727F3A.jpeg
I drove to the pub yesterday on clear roads and the rear end of the 80 stepped out on ice . I left the pub in a blizzard and stomped home on foot through about a foot deep snow in the middle of the road . Good job I wore my warm t-shirt because I had to run my ice helmet of hair under the cold tap to thaw it out when I got home .

Sadly the beast sits sulking while people suffer despite being perfectly safe to drive because it failed at mot :icon-neutral:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

All about tyres, the wife hasn't had a single issue in ours, she said only had one moment and that was her fault for having a heavy right foot. Told her to let the car do the work.

The nice wheels are tucked up in the garage, the winter wheels/tyres are doing their job. Had about 3 inches of snow and our local roads don't get cleared or gritted.

She gave one of the other parents a lift to school as his Merc wouldn't move off the drive, he was embarrassed and impressed the wife was driving the Beemer without issue :lol:

Saves wear on the expensive tyres too.

View attachment 141215 I drove to the pub yesterday on clear roads and the rear end of the 80 stepped out on ice . I left the pub in a blizzard and stomped home on foot through about a foot deep snow in the middle of the road . Good job I wore my warm t-shirt because I had to run my ice helmet of hair under the cold tap to thaw it out when I got home .

Sadly the beast sits sulking while people suffer despite being perfectly safe to drive because it failed at mot :icon-neutral:
Best hurry up and get some proper tyres on it. I just tried to do some donuts in the car park. Bloody thing still grips.

Just got back from 12 mile round trip into town to get a pizza.
it was pretty bad going tbh. About 5" lying, big drifts and blowing a gale with very poor visibility.

Coming back wasnt too bad as the plough had been through.
this is leek to Ashbourne road on my way back.

View attachment 141181 View attachment 141182
The second one isnt out of focus, thats how poor visibility was.

Did I see you in Ipstones edge last night?

S'not fair everyone's got more snow than me :cry:
I'm lucky to see some still in the gutter around town and for a few miles in any direction

This was going to work on Thursday morning (after the lorries got moving, sat in a jam for an hour)

Mullacott.JPG Mullacott 2.JPG

So as I couldn't get to work :lol: today I had a little drive to find some snow

Four Ways.JPG Fourways 2.JPG
(my Mrs was taking the pics :doh:)
Just above Bratton Fleming

And this was about a mile or so to the left of the 3rd pic, not far from Blackmoor Gate

Blackmoor Gate.jpg

The whole road is that deep,

25515015-46E2-4C96-B2D2-76D87099F12F.jpeg
The drifts too deep around here too. This was our morning ‘walk’, I’m in the middle of the road!

Had a fair time with it here!
View attachment 141191
Steep climb out of here! Haven't seen snow drifts all the way up there for a long time! Took 7 attempts to get the 81 to there! Dodgy reversing back down!
View attachment 141192
Nearly at the top!
View attachment 141193
At the top some drifts and quite big! You have to work with these! Or you'll get stuck!
View attachment 141194
Like this! Lol. That'll take some time to get him out!
View attachment 141195
Thats incredible! The same spot that I took and posted the 81 with the door open yesterday! 1.7m deep and a very long stretch of lane!
View attachment 141197
About 45 mins with a shovel! That's when the fun stops and the challenge of self recovery in bitter wind!
Really need to develop a path through there as no one else will! Teleporter next!:lol::lol::thumbup:
I hate digging. You need a front loader mate.
Jack recommends one of these..
20180302_184324.jpg

Just arrived at our place, roads are clear now, no snow for 2 days and sunny.

Still 30 cm of snow on the grass and we’ve got some ice off the gutters...

95B7967B-B0D4-4314-AA63-0AF8D10C673F.jpeg
3A66EF75-249A-4517-92A5-E5D47B0FE7DB.jpeg
633D1C0E-A944-4487-93D4-2282BFFD6C44.jpeg
71B6667B-C035-4CD0-97DB-3F858ED4038A.jpeg

BBDC681B-5ECE-4688-9B5A-A88549D5D26B.jpeg

7BBCD2CD-4EDD-4755-A6D1-5479593010FD.jpeg

1cm of snow here, but very slippery.
Just came back from rescueing a skipper who went for a swim in the dock after he slipped from the deck. Luckily he was able to crawl on the anchor where we found him in his t-shirt. He managed to get out of his coat. His core temperature was already down to 35°C. I donned my rescue harness and was stand by to jump after him would he fall back into the water while the boys pulled him up. I was glad I didn't have to.

Temperature up now to 4 degrees and it’s all disappearing very rapidly.

Back