Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snow Watch

I would say its as much to do with your winter tyres as the audi.
Its law in germany to put winter tyres on. As you can imagine theres plenty of bms and the like driving about happily in the snow,they get plenty of it in bavaria too.

Law here as well, and they have to be snow rated...

I had to go for a drive yesterday so that me and my boy could get our snow fix.
30min and it was like a different world, absolutely beautiful. Pulled into a small lane and went for a walk. We both loved it but it would have been so much better if we received some of the action.

This side of Belfast it's like it never happened. Our roads and even the fields was clean all week long with some small amounts that collected in some corners.

I had to go for a drive yesterday so that me and my boy could get our snow fix.
30min and it was like a different world, absolutely beautiful. Pulled into a small lane and went for a walk. We both loved it but it would have been so much better if we received some of the action.

This side of Belfast it's like it never happened. Our roads and even the fields was clean all week long with some small amounts that collected in some corners.

:text-worthless:

Haha, fair enough. I didn't take any while we were out walking but took this on the way home, the sides was up to the side of the car in places
IMG_20180303_143506.jpg

And this is back home
IMG_20180304_122620.jpg

IMG_20180304_122445.jpg

Disappointing isn't it.

That’s fantastic gamba, good find!

Nice photos too, I like to see other parts of the world, never been to Ireland.

I’ve got some stock photos of the Black Sea here in winter, which are similar, it freezes over close to shore when its -20C and less, and looks quite amazing.

It’s salt-water, but about 1/5 that of the Atlantic.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well we thought we'd go up to Dalby forest (pretty much the edge of north Yorkshire moors) for some snow fun before it all melts
Took the 2wd 80 and the sledge.
No issues even on snow covered roads.
Drives crap on the road though without a front prop.

20180304_155744.jpg

20180304_152016.jpg

As of this morning we were still cut off..

IMG-20180304-WA0023.jpg

Heavy artillery drafted in for the cleanup.. 1988 JCB 3cx performed admirably
IMAG2020.jpg

Once the road was cleared the extent of drifting is clear!

IMG-20180304-WA0026.jpg

Do you ever have any cold related problems with the 80 when it gets really cold clive?

Not yet Mike, after 11 winters, nothing.

Below -10C I do need to wait for the glow light to go out, but then it starts on a flick as always. It always amazes me, even at -32C (the coldest I’ve experienced here) it behaved as usual.

As a manual, I’ve got the standard won’t-go-into-second when the G/Box is cold, but really, 5 minutes driving sorts that out. It comes up to temp in under 10 minutes from super cold.

Still considering a Webasto though, it must be lovely to get into a warm car first thing at -20C... :lol:

Not yet Mike, after 11 winters, nothing.

Below -10C I do need to wait for the glow light to go out, but then it starts on a flick as always. It always amazes me, even at -32C (the coldest I’ve experienced here) it behaved as usual.

As a manual, I’ve got the standard won’t-go-into-second when the G/Box is cold, but really, 5 minutes driving sorts that out. It comes up to temp in under 10 minutes from super cold.

Still considering a Webasto though, it must be lovely to get into a warm car first thing at -20C... :lol:
The 80 really does never fail to amaze. As you may know there is a diesel fuel heater on the fuel primer. I keep meaning to get mine up and running, just because its there really. I know some canadian 81 owners use theres.
Sounds like you dont need it though clive.:thumbup:

The 80 really does never fail to amaze. As you may know there is a diesel fuel heater on the fuel primer. I keep meaning to get mine up and running, just because its there really. I know some canadian 81 owners use theres.
Sounds like you dont need it though clive.:thumbup:

It’s never given me cause to think I do need a fuel heater, unless there’s already one fitted and working, do all models have them, and how would I know?

Mine (Hdj81) doesn’t.
Or at least I think it doesnt as there’s no wires to the primer.

Last edited:
You got to wonder what even a small plough attachment would do positioned at a height between the axle and front bumper to keep the snow from compacting under the body

It’s never given me cause to think I do need a fuel heater, unless there’s already one fitted and working, do all models have them, and how would I know?
20180306_171413.jpg

The heater element is the bit in the foreground with the two screws.
20180306_171422.jpg

The fuel heater relay location, top left.

if it was just a case of putting the fuel heater relay in I would of done it yesterday, but mine doesn't have the connectors underneath the relay housing. the wiring looks pretty simple so its something ill look at when I get a bit of free time.

That’s a bit odd isn’t it Mike, you have the heater, you have connections to the harness, but no connections at the fuse/relay box?

Not doubting any of it, but it doesn’t seem to make any logical sense.

I’ve got the heater bit too (from memory) but I’ve no idea what’s in the fuse/relay box without looking. I’ll have a gander this after...

At least I know where to look now... :thumbup:

Back