Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

so, if i was to take a trip to

Crushers

I am Scottish, Irish and a bit Brit by heritage and have been considering a trip to the old world for a few years now.
i enjoy the rurals, small out of the way pubs and eateries, the places that the tourists don't see.
i would plan on at least a couple weeks.
Where would you blokes recommend me visiting?

I am taken by the places Andy C. went through the Pyrenees.

I admired many of the views, and I am sure more than enough wineries and eateries.

Gra.

Gav Peter said:
Lincomb, 6th & 7th October!!! :lol:
:clap: Good sell Gav....

Urm, Scotland (Edinburgh, Loch ness) , Lake / Peak district, Cotswold are all nice for that type of thing. Sure someone more local would give a better idea.

If your wallet could handle it, ferry to Dublin and don't stop in it! Trust me I'm from Dublin and your wallet won't be able for it!! Head down through Wicklow ,Cork and do the ring of Kerry and finally head to Galway and Connemara before you make your way cross country to the ferry. Stop off in each place for a few nights ,you won't be stuck for pubs and live music and great scenery!

Go to Italy and drive through the Alps.... It rains too much up here !!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AndrewT said:
Go to Italy and drive through the Alps.... It rains too much up here !!!

Hi Andrew,

Fuel is just a big killer in Italy right now.
Just so much more expensive than many other EU countries.

Gra.

French Alps then! they are just as good
although the best trails i drove this summer were on the Italian side :)

I dont remember fuel costing a lot more in Itlay - apart from in ski resort of Sestriere - but thats not suprising!

I think fuel in Italy is expensive compared to France but probably about the same as in the UK

the french alps ... sounds appealing.
i will investigate the other suggestions, i would like to see Scottland and Ireland.
thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming.

budget? how much a day should a budget be? rooms, food and fuel?
around here a room can cost $65 to $135, food is about $25 for 2 person per meal, fuel is $1.35 for gas and $1.25 for diesel.
comparisons?

thanks guys

B&B rooms are normally around UK£50/night (for a double) in my experience. Obviously this can vary in more touristy locations or for fancier than normal places. But I'd say that would be a comfortable guide.
Fuel is about £1.40/l, or about 2 of your $. Remember the distances are fairly small (very small by Canadian standards) and speeds off the major roads are low, so fuel consumption is not a huge issue, despite the cost of fuel.

Food can potentially be the costly one - my guess is for an evening meal eating in pubs and the like, you're going to do well to average £10-15/head. Throw booze on top and that figure will jump (beer £3/pint and upwards). Obviously for a lunch-time sandwich or whatever, the costs are fairly small.

I'd say if you budgeted £100/day per couple, you'd probably have a bit of change left at the end of the trip - you could do it for less but you might have to do a bit more research and eat more economically :mrgreen:

I've been looking at doing something similar around scotland in November and was going to book as many of the £19 travel lodge rooms as possible. I think you have to book at least 21 days in advance. The rooms are very basic from ones I've stayed in the past ... but they are cheap!

Got to be better ways to spend your time than driving through rain all day??

:lol:

I would not let the price of fuel or road tolls spoil your choice of holiday. holidays are way too important !!

You can google fuel prices if you need a really accurate budget. But as a rule of thumb try and avoid motorway fuel stations in any country and you will be fine.

The alps is great for weather, scenery, food and the wine ..... ,!!! The pyrenees sounds like very similar but in reality just as far !

Wherever you go, vehicle holidays are expensive, so don't let fuel costs spoil it for you and plan ahead.

I have driven all over Europe and I have found the prices to be fairly consistent within 10-20% max per tank full. On the whole over a trip they tend to even out to be uk equivalent on avarage.

My experience of uk holidays as they always work out almost just as expensive as going abroad !

If costs are an issue, you don't need a 4x4 to have a vehicle based adventure !

this would be my first trip off the continent so cost of fuel is a small consideration, it is more that i would like to have a budget with a 50% over allowance and be able to enjoy myself than just wing it and end up having to scrimp or run up the card.
the wife has been all over the world, there are places i would like to see. New Zealand, Costa Rica, the Alps are too cool to pass up but there is just something that is pulling me to see northern Britain. i could see doing London by taxi and map but driving there would make me nervous.
we would probably end up renting a mid to small car for the trip, if i wanted to do any ?laning? (off roading) i would hook up with a local and be shotgunner just for the enjoyment.

how are tourists accepted in northern england? are we looked down upon, accepted or is there something i need to know.
here, in the rurals, we endure tourists. they bring money into the small shops in the area and if they are polite then we have no problem showing them around or helping them out, if they are TourAsses they get the cold shoulder.

is it pretty much the same over there? my wife and i are friendly and polite (in person) and enjoy a good joke or story.

cheers and thanks

Driving here in London really isn't too bad. As long as you have a decent sat nav so getting lost or missing a turn doesn't become an issue or stressful it's all good. I find driving almost pleasurable here compared to say Sydney where it's every man for himself. As long as you drive with some confidence here drivers are mainly very patient. Nothing to worry about tourist wise up north, just your normal mix of people. some nice and some not so nice.

For some background, I'm from Oz and have been living in London for near on 7 years.

Crushers said:
how are tourists accepted in northern england? are we looked down upon, accepted or is there something i need to know.
here, in the rurals, we endure tourists. they bring money into the small shops in the area and if they are polite then we have no problem showing them around or helping them out, if they are TourAsses they get the cold shoulder.

is it pretty much the same over there? my wife and i are friendly and polite (in person) and enjoy a good joke or story.

cheers and thanks

Just wear a t-shirt that says 'No - I'm a CANADIAN. Part of the EMPIRE' or something and you should be good to go ;-)

Seriously, you should have no problem other than learning to drive a vehicle with the steering wheel in the right place, and drive on the right (left) side of the road, and remember to talk about a bonnet and boot rather than hood and trunk :lol:

If you let us have dates and itinerary I'm sure we'd like to hook up where possible and show you around.

Certainly if you get to Edinburgh I'd be more than happy to show you around for a weekend or whatever and take you to some of the more out-of-the-way places, depending on what you'd like to see / do.

Cheers

Id be more than happy to take you laning in Wales! :dance:

When are you thinking of coming Wayne? :)

Drop into the lake district too on your way north. ill haul you around up there if you want, some nice lanes and pretty countryside.

+1 for Ireland. Especially the south and west. Cork for food and good times, Kerry Clare and Galway for beautiful scenery, anywhere else for a random pub where you could meet anybody.. Really anybody.. Diesel is cheaper than the UK, and the food is better (sorry lads :D ). It's also impossible to get lost as its such a small place really.

Not so many lanes, but you would be welcome to take a spin with me around the peat bogs of Kildare if you were over this way.

You could always do here and Scotland...

Back