Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So why has Toyota not leased the new 70 series in the EU (Please read)

I want a LHD 1HZ trophy. any ideas where to start looking in Dubai - Dealers/ contacts etc????

That import place at Blakelands Milton Keynes had a really tasty ex Dubai Troopy V8 in about 6 weeks ago, i was tipping just opposite their place and spent an hour drooling over it.
They get all sorts of weird and wonderful imports there, not even sure of the name of the company, if you search on Google maps find Tanners Drive, Blakelands Industry, its where SMC Tuning is located, it doesn't look like they sell from that site more like a prep centre.

My Car Imports? They are a shipping agent so someone has booked them to bring that in, they don’t sell stuff. (they brought in my FJ)

Well I have a few mates in Oz that have ordered one last year and it was a 12 month wait.... I have heard since that they have stopped taking orders....
The 70 series is the way to go but I only wish that they would bring back the 6 with the 1HZ... pretty bulletproof compared to the V8. Living in the scrub you don't need friggin computer controlled motor cars.. The HZJ's are selling at a premium over here at the moment, and I can see why... You don't have to be a rocket scientist to get on the road again. Filters are available at every roadhouse .... Hey.... but I'm a dinosaur.....

It is simple economics and legislation…. The 70 doesn’t comply with most countries current regulations, the 1HZ doesn’t meet current emissions. For Africa and NGO’s this doesn’t matter…so they still build it for those markets.

It's annoying we don't have the option to buy vehicles new that don't meet the standards - why is it not the buyers choice?
Regardless Toyota currently has problems just supplying our small Australian market let alone the UK so maybe it's driven partly by this and they feel spending the money to upgrade is simply not a cost they are prepared to take?
Currently if we order a new 70 Series you can wait 12 Months or more and often the order gets canceled!
Also I think Toyota is flat out supplying to Aid organizations around the world as they are popular as actual troop carriers and emergency vehicles.
Here in OZ they tend to be predomatetly used by the Mining industry although I do keep hearing grumbles that this is also changing as mining requires higher safety standards than us normal buyers do - but still many are in use.
Toyota while being known for very reliable cars do some confusing things like they have never supplied an Automatic transmission in any 70 Series in Australia yet I recently found they do in other countries like the USA!!
Also its only been a few years now that Air Conditioning was standard and not considered optional.

Toyota while being known for very reliable cars do some confusing things like they have never supplied an Automatic transmission in any 70 Series in Australia yet I recently found they do in other countries like the USA!!
The 70 series, in any model guise has never been available in the USA. Those vehicles there are personnel imports and most have come from Japan. The light duty versions of the J7 did come out in Japan with Auto options but as far as I am aware all the HD variants have a 5 speed manual

The 76,78 and 79 heavy duty vehicles are, as you say predominantly still built to fulfil the NGO/GO markets, mostly for Africa. I wonder if the reason it is sold to the domestic market in Australia is purely because of the mining industry requirement and in order to sell to that the vehicle has to be homologated and on general sale either to meet the mines requirement or for legislation?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 70 series, in any model guise has never been available in the USA. Those vehicles there are personnel imports and most have come from Japan. The light duty versions of the J7 did come out in Japan with Auto options but as far as I am aware all the HD variants have a 5 speed manual

The 76,78 and 79 heavy duty vehicles are, as you say predominantly still built to fulfil the NGO/GO markets, mostly for Africa. I wonder if the reason it is sold to the domestic market in Australia is purely because of the mining industry requirement and in order to sell to that the vehicle has to be homologated and on general sale either to meet the mines requirement or for legislation?
The 70 Series has been a long standing work horse both for the mines and outback farming and other utility services in Australia hence very well catered for spare parts wise in remote locations something most of the more populated countries simply don't have I guess.
Given some towns, properties are a good solid days drive from the next often still remote area we need vehicles that can do 1000km between filling points - my troopy can now do almost 1800km on tar about 1400km on sand but don't like to assume that :)
As to why it's not sold in the USA or EU I guess you need to speak to Toyota.
My 2005 HDJ78R apparently started life as a Western Australia Police car with clear signs it had a cage in the rear at some point but I think it may have also been used as an Electricians car due to fuses and paperwork I found down in the side wall cavities when first purchased.
We have a huge following in the "Troopcarriers of Australia" facebook group with 11 thousand members mostly in Aus but some from Japan and other countries.
People keep speculating that Toyota will stop production due to not being able to meet safety standards but this has been going around for years and still they are being made.. there is apparently a V6 version due later this year with possibly an Automatic but still speculation so who knows.
The 1HD-FTE version apparently is still being sold into some African areas where emissions are relaxed and there was a mine site in Australia who had a special import license with clear instructions to destroy them when finished!
It's a strange work atm that we live in..

I went from a 100 Series to a 70 with the 1HZ and as much as I adore the simplicity and ruggedness I do miss the effortless cruising of the 1HD-FTE. The two combined would be the holy grail in my book.

Back