Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So why has Toyota not leased the new 70 series in the EU (Please read)

Nah, the one in the 200 series is a twin turbo IIRC, and probably has a different engine management tune to improve emissions (which makes it more complicated etc) and I'm not 100% sure, but I think that all newly launched vehicles under 3500kg MGM sold in the EU now need to have stability control (as already mentioned) which is easier to engineer into a newly built vehicle rather than an older model such as the 70 series, which would be treated as a new entrant to the market, and therefore unable to be exempted from the new vehicle regulations.

Then how are Toyota selling the 200 with the 1VD V8 Diesel here? Surely it's the same basic engine in the 70

I thought the same thing Bob, my boss has a 200 with the diesel V8 (Toyo call it a D4-D V8) and we are in the EU. I believe it to Euro IV, but nothing I've seen seems to confirm this. It does have VSC (and a whole host of other goodies).

I doubt that we will ever see a 70 series in the UK again.

The current Hilux has only a short time left, its replacement will almost certainly be a small cc twin turbo - along the same lines as the Amarok.

The days of the big engined car are numbered, what with high fuel costs, high tax for higher emission vehicles etc, and the safety requirements of ncap etc.

Pete

The Atlas Overland fleet. Get them while they're still available...

Happy trails,

Peter

IMG_0974.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very nice! It looks like the new addition has some growing up to do to catch up with its stable mate. Will the new one be seeing the can opener to convert it into a mobile appartment for two to travel in comfort?

I don't think the UK market for the 70 series would be big enough to interest Toyota to be honest. True, they have a good name/reputaion and are much loved among LC aficionados but there aren't the big mining operations over here that exist in Australia and the African continent etc and compared to those markets the Uk forestry,rail and utility markets will be very small. JMO

Hi Scott,

Yes, the angle grinder has been out. Will post pix when I can.

Re the future of the 70 series. Toyota were thinking of stopping production as the NGOs and mining companies had hinted that future vehicles need to be safer for their employees and third parties. Then Billiton changed their mind and pressured Toyota into sticking with the 70 and developing the double cab. Now the muttering about NCAP equivalency has started again.
However, Toyota make THOUSANDS of 70 series. The mining companies consume vast numbers - there are hundreds of serviceable but contaminated 70s in the uranium mines which will never see thaw light of day again. I challenge you to watch the news any evening and you'll see them in any of the conflict zones or disaster areas.
The costs in entering the Euro market are huge and to develop the 70 series to comply with emissions/crash test/pedestrian safety/VSC isn't viable for a relatively small number of utility companies and enthusiasts.
The best chance we have is for the mining companies to go tree-hugging and demand Toyota develop a user-friendly but bomb-proof vehicle. Then we might see it in the UK.

Happy trails,

Peter

Nice to see the new truck Peter - and look forward to seeing pics of it post conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice Pete, will it be in Midelt when we meet at Timnay again???? look forward to having a good look

Last edited:
Unless you really are an aid agency, no you can't buy it in Gib.

I have been wandering if you could buy in gib, but not sure how you would work out registering it.

Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings (TGS) - 4x4 vehicles for aid agencies - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
As above..no chance, plus TGS only sell the 1HZ variant which you would not get through IVA as a new vehicle it would be tested to current emissions standards.
But if you really want one you can buy them out of Dubai, all three engine variants and left or right hand drive options, 71, 76, 78 and 79 variants.

But if you really want one you can buy them out of Dubai, all three engine variants and left or right hand drive options, 71, 76, 78 and 79 variants.

I want a LHD 1HZ trophy. any ideas where to start looking in Dubai - Dealers/ contacts etc????

Dubicars.com if you want to buy new. But do your homework carefully about IVA as I think you’ll find it will be tested against current standards and it won’t pass. You’d be better off looking for a used one over 10yrs old that will not need IVA. Do not touch anything used on Dubicars!!!

For an older LHD try mobile.de (filter by 78 or 75 in the variant box)

Back