Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So why has Toyota not leased the new 70 series in the EU (Please read)

Alwyn Wallace

So why has Toyota not released the new 70 series in the EU (Please read)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hi all, having just gotten back from Australia, I can not understand why we don't have the new Land Cruiser 70 series in the UK. It has got a 4.5l euro4 Turbo Diesel engine and has already got ANCAP rating so why will Toyota not bring them to the EU?

My plan is to try and get as many forestry/utility/rail companies in the UK to sign a request to test the 70 series if Toyota can make them available.

So if anybody has thoughts or ideas please feel free to share them.

Here are some links of the Australian GXL and New Zealand LX models.

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series

http://www.toyota.co.nz/our-range/land-cruiser/land-cruiser-lc70-series/

Please share your thought's

Alwyn

Last edited:
Would love a double cab or a troopy! I can honsetly say besides those there is no other car/truck/van...... that I would consider buying brand new. Well tell a lie probably an 80 if they sold them here.

The EU require euro5 engines and European type approval, this vehicle has neither.
Anyone's guess as to why toyota don't want this market

As I understand it, if you look back to the mid 80's when the 70 series was introduced it was set that the light duty lj70 bundera was the only option. There were of course the heavy duty higher models available but it was just set to the bundera. I have no idea why, may have been to do with the sales figures of the 60 series which wasnt hudge.

After speaking with Stan a while back. It doesn't seem that toyota uk are willing to import them. Also theres a restriction for registering new 70 series in the rhd format. Its ok to import lhd... I dont know why but that's the way it seems. Guessing that if its lhd then it's apparent that it was not supplied by toyota uk.. I may be wrong but it's how it appears. ...iwan

Yep you cannot import a NEW RHD vehicle of any sort unless it's a personal import, ie you have lived in the country of origin. I believe it is to protect dealers, there was a situation a few years back that I heard about when you could buy a land rover from Belgium or somewhere cheaper than in the uk, but it never actually went to Belgium, so I think it was a loop hole that's now plugged..

Still saving the money for the new hzj70 Stan! Cheers mate! :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If i wanted one what i would do is take a holiday to Oz and buy one , messed up as the law is i very much doubt it can stop you bringing your own property home .

If i wanted one what i would do is take a holiday to Oz and buy one , messed up as the law is i very much doubt it can stop you bringing your own property home .
If you buy something or a motor abroad. Best not to import immediately. If you have proof of purchase and can prove you have owned it for 6 months then import duty is much reduced. Then it works in your favour financially. .. be nice to have the time to goto Australia :think:

New HZJ78 in the UK

Just imported my next exped support vehicle. Brand new HZJ78 LHD £33k, SVA taxed and ready to go.

Happy trails,

Peter

Thanks for the update Stan.

Am I right in assuming that the new 200 engine is the same motor but just fitted with a second turbo and slightly tweaked.

Does anybody know how many stars are needed to achieve/pass the NCAP rating? It achieved 3 in the ANCAP.

Thanks again

Alwyn

Last edited:
I'd have one for the business if they had them here :( Left or R/H drive, dont care!

I think Toyota are missing out on a huge opportunity with the 70 series here in the uk.

Landrover are dropping the defender in its current form next year in favour of a softer alternative, surely its the perfect chance for the 70 to stroll into the uk. I'd replace my hil-ux with one tomorrow, its got too soft with plastic bumpers and carpet. Not that I'm knocking the comfort and way it drives, its a fantastic truck now with 212k on the clock.

We still need a basic, no frills, strong as an ox truck which can take some serious abuse and carry some daily battle scars and not worry about it.

"C'mon Toyota now's your chance, give us what we want. The defender going will leave a ready made gap in the market for the 70 to slip straight into, lots of us driving hi-lux, ranger, navara etc would prefer to have one of these instead"

I'll climb down from my soapbox now, thank you for listening.

Hi all, having just gotten back from Australia, I can not understand why we don't have the new Land Cruiser 70 series in the UK. It has got a 4.5l euro4 Turbo Diesel engine and has already got ANCAP rating so why will Toyota not bring them to the EU?

The current V8 TD engine does not pass emissions in the EU or Japan. That's why the 2014-15 30th Anniversary 70 Series that is limited edition in Japan ships with the petrol V6 from the Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, etc. The reason it is limited edition in Japan is that vehicles in Japan that are sold after June 2015 have to have VSC and the 70 Series does not have VSC and I guess it's not an easy addition.

Toyota has been surprised by the popularity of the limited edition 70 Series so if they're smart, they'll be thinking about how to bring the petrol V6 version to the EU or upgrading the TD V8 to pass current Euro5 emissions.

For those of you EU/UK folks, would you buy the current 70 Series with the petrol V6 if it was offered as it is in Japan? (i.e. with airbags, and ABS but no VSC.)

Motor Trend has a December 2014 First Drive of the V6 70 Series in Tokyo but I can't post it as I am still new to this forum.

Last edited:
Once production of the LR Defender stops, there will be a huge marketing opportunity for Toyota

Excuse me for sounding a bit thick, what's a vsc??? Is it some form of safety certification??

Also Toyota have a range of other diesel engines available which are euro 5 compliant, so why not slot one of those in??

I think that the market that the 70 series should be aimed at ie farmers, utility companies etc. Are used to just having ABS and airbags, they want no thrills motors with less to go wrong that are bullet proof and have good residuals

The current V8 TD engine does not pass emissions in the EU.

Then how are Toyota selling the 200 with the 1VD V8 Diesel here? Surely it's the same basic engine in the 70

Back