Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So will this fail an MOT?

Rob

Garage
Doing a complete front axle rebuild basically everyting apart from bearings, wiper seals and suspension I have noticed a few things that may need attention. So question is will it fail on the coils shock and indicators? Also should I drive it to Morocco with suspension in this condition?

20120915_163406.jpg20120915_163413.jpg20120915_192649.jpg20120915_192658.jpg

My intention was to run this suspension until something needs replacing and replace the whole lot with something decent, so I am unwilling to replace just the front shocks to match this setup. Really don't have the cash or time to replace the whole lot before Morocco.

The shocks and springs should not be a problem its if the shocks are weeping that you may have a problem. The indicators should be ok and if not they are easy to replace and return for the free re-test. I guess it just depends on what sort of relationship you have with you MOT man as mine is very good and would tell me if anything is going to fail the car and if it was the indicator then he would still pass it and I would replace it rather than wasting his time to return.

I would think you should be ok.

Should you drive to Morocco is only a question you will know the answer too as you know the general condition of your truck. I would say you should be ok as its only surface rust by the looks of it.

I'd second that.

a bit of work with a wire brush and then some dinitrol rust converter would freshen them up.

Warren, you can just see that the shock is sweating a bit. They other side is bone dry so hence me asking. Is it weeping enough for it to fail an MOT and is the shock likely to fail completely within the next 5k miles?

Not really worried about the indicators, just would like to see what people think as I won't have much time for a retest.

[h=5]Reasons for failing a shock are:

[/h] [h=5]a. no shock absorbers fitted to a vehicle on which they are standard[/h] [h=5]b. a shock absorber missing[/h] [h=5] [/h] [h=5]2.
a. External damage or corrosion to the casing of a shock absorber so that the unit does not function
b. an insecure or detached shock absorber.
[/h] [h=5]
3. A fluid leakage serious enough to indicate that the fluid seal of a shock
absorber has failed.
[/h] [h=5]
4. An excessively worn shock absorber linkage, pivot or bush.
[/h] [h=5]
5. A shock absorber which has negligible damping effect.

[/h]

I see, thanks for that Warren. Looks like its not "A fluid leakage serious enough to indicate that the fluid seal of a shock absorber has failed" so will just clean it up with brake cleaner and sort it out when I get back. I guess this is what you get when you buy used shocks at dirt cheap prices and then abuse them for 30k miles...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
its not just a question of is it weeping enough to fail an MOT, but is it weeping enough for shock to fail in morocco and cause a lot more issues? and hassles with a knackered shock in the middle of Morocco?
i wouldn't do a long trip if i knew a part was dodgy. i was annoyed that wheel bearing and CV joint wore out this year in Alps, and disruption it caused - (wheel bearing got me home but i removed front prop to ease strain on the CV) and no indication of wear before the trip as i checked a month before the trip for things like that.

I would see if you can find a cheap replacement for the shock, it will cause you a lot of trouble if it fails during your trip and I think there's every chance of that if it's weeping now. I will double check my stash in the morning but I think the only fronts I have are +6" length which is too long for what you're running.

What is really tearing me apart on this one is that I don't wan't to do a "just fix it job" on the suspension as I am not happy with it and had not had any reason to do a "complete overhaul job" on the suspension until now. I know it may cause trouble on a trip so that's why I am asking if anyone can tell me how long it may last. If I replace the whole suspension I am eating into my trip funds. If I replace the front shocks I will end up with a suspension set up I am not happy with for longer. If leave it till I'm back I am taking a risk, but I do not know how big a risk it is.

My guess it will fail the MOT on the leaking shock.
Also IMHO you would be asking for trouble to head off on a trip without replacing the shock first, or the other option is to carry a spare.

Missed your post Jon. Cheap replacement is good idea. I wonder if Ryan still has a front shock, I am pretty sure he also had the lighter shocks :think:

Unfortunately I binned my old shocks. Rears were toast and I suspect the fronts weren't too far off. I still have the coils, though that doesn't help you...

Or I upgrade just the front shocks to my new suspension set up and deal with over damped handling, problem is I have not decided on what I want.

Was just about to PM you Ryan. I'm sure one of us will have an N70 shock or 2 they are willing to part with or would let me borrow it.

Hi Rob,
It's a 50:50 if it's going to fail the MOT.
Sure you can clean it up, and make it appear like it is sound, and leakfree.
But in past experience, shocks can fail at any time.
Some times they can weep and weep ever so slightly over a long period.
Then on other occasions, one day they weep, next day they fail 100%

Morocco, well I wouldn't go without changing the pair of fronts.
Other than that, I wouldn't go to Morocco any way, but Tunisia sounds excellent from reports.

Gra.

Thanks for the advice Graham. That was what I was after. I have never bad to replace a shock absorber in the 10 years I have been driving so have no idea how quickly they trend to go.

Other than that, I wouldn't go to Morocco any way, but Tunisia sounds excellent from reports.

So what exactly did happen when you went to Morocco?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

20120928_145052.jpg

Me thinks these are f***ed. They will compress to within 50mm of the bottom of the stroke before they prime and even when the are primed I can compress them within 2 seconds. My new shocks prime much faster and it takes a good 10s to compress them when primed.

Back