Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sopping wet passenger side footwell

Garfieldus

Country Flag
ireland
I thought something had got spilled on a recent off road weekend up in Donegal but after drying it out it happened again I found this....

drip1.jpg

I don't have a sunroof. Any ideas where it might be coming from?

No obvious sings of a leaking windscreen seal.

Windscreen. Watch for it on the glass side in the corners when it's wet outside. Also it can run round the outside between rubber and paint and get in if the drainage is blocked at the bottom. Have you had your windscreen changed by Autoglass or Auto Windscreens?

Also it can run round the outside between rubber and paint and get in if the drainage is blocked at the bottom.

Is there a drainage channel? Can it be accessed/poked/cleared without taking the windscreen out?

Yes there are depressions in the body that look like drain channels but in my view the only sure fire cure is to take the screen out and refit with butyl screen sealer. It's excellent stuff and doesn't set hard, rather goes like blu tak so stays flexible. The problem is not just blocked channels but open paths for leakage and probably smaller/thinner replacement screens.

It's not a horrendous job really. The screen comes out pretty easily if you take your time. The worst is cleaning the screen, rubber and body but you then get the chance to deal with any rust patches under the rubber. The rubber and screen clean up with Brillo pads and the body with plastic scraper rag and petrol (or whatever solvent softens the sealant that's on there if indeed it's necessary). I tried sealing mine with it in situ but once I bit the bullet and eased it out it really was then plain sailing. Remove the scuttle panel first. Remove screen by peeling back the rubber and easing the screen out. Work from a corner, along and down until you've got down both sides. Refit with a mate, some rope around the rubber in the channel and run sealant in the glass channel and on the body around the sides and top. Refit the scuttle. Under a days work dealing with rust or overnight if you want paint to dry like I did.

The issue for me is that one week later when you get a rock through the new screen, you have to deal with all that Blu Tak. If it simply wiped off with petrol I wouldn't mind, but after trying everything but a small thermonuclear device on the rear screen seal residue I have to say I really don't want to have to seal mine with mastic.. I appreciate I may have to, but it doesn't change my position that I don't WANT to.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The issue for me is that one week later when you get a rock through the new screen, you have to deal with all that Blu Tak. If it simply wiped off with petrol I wouldn't mind, but after trying everything but a small thermonuclear device on the rear screen seal residue I have to say I really don't want to have to seal mine with mastic.. I appreciate I may have to, but it doesn't change my position that I don't WANT to.
That's odd Chris, as the butyl screen seal I used was easy to remove. Maybe it was mastic you used as that would be a pig to remove?
I do get your point re the clean up, but I would rather my screen didn't leak water into my car for the time up until the rock hits it. After having a brand new genuine Toyota rubber leak, after a brand new generic rubber that leaked, I know that (on the screen that was supplied for my truck anyway) that new rubbers just don't seal.
It's obviously down to choice here and if you choose to not seal, that's your choice and good on you for that. I can only pass on my experience and I sincerely hope your unsealed screen gives you years of trouble free leak free service.

I did not use any mastic. Someone else did. I just removed the old screen because it leaked badly. I put a new seal on the silver truck and scraped off as much as I could and reused the old seal on the green one. Result - no leaks.

Not sure why we're still having this conversation to be honest. That screen will not be leaking by the time the fitter leaves. If that means using sealant then so be it. But as I've said several times, I'd prefer it not to. I have no intention of having a leaking screen based purely on the wish not to use sealer.

Not in my ownership. The screen looks original (or a Toyota replacement at some stage).
I suppose we could be jumping to conclusions on the windscreen as I would be very surprised if a screen that has been leak free suddenly leaks for no apparent reason. Others may know different of course. It's probably worth removing the scuttle panel, it's only a few screws with a dumpy driver, and check below for obstructions and dare I say rust holes. Then if it still persists, get someone to run a hose on spray onto it and try and prove its the screen. Presumably you don't have any splits in the rubber?

I did not use any mastic. Someone else did.
Then there is the difference. There are many types of sealant, most are a complete git to remove. The butyl screen seal I keep banging on about is not because it's designed to stay flexible and be easy to remove.

Not sure why we're still having this conversation to be honest.
I was thinking the same Chris and the above perhaps goes some way to explaining why. Your experience clearly relates to an entirely different sealant (type Unknown) that was applied by someone else. Hence every time I offer Butyl screen sealer as the answer, you chip in and muddy the waters with your experience of something entirely different. And so the conversation continues.

Just to chip in as you rudely put it Rich, there are others on her who have used bucket loads of sealer and still haven't managed to stop the leaks easily. My point is about trying to find WHY they leak and WHERE so that we have a better solution than bodging it with your magic butyl.

I have a tube of butyl which I have been using on things for a long time. It's not a revolutionary new product. I still find it a twat to get off things. And it does get everywhere.

Finding this current leak (on this thread) could be a key lesson on where the water gets in. Something I think we'd all like to know, especially Gary.

Bummer - and weather ain't been too bad recently

Just a thought that will probably go ignored but do you use water instead of coolant and could it be a heater pipe leaking ?

There is also an issue with some 80's leaking water into the footwell due to corrosion on the bulkhead. These pics are from iH8MUD i think with an appropriate thread....

bulkhead.jpg bulkhead2.jpg

Your leak looks to be too high for this to be the culprit but worth checking anyway

Just a thought that will probably go ignored but do you use water instead of coolant and could it be a heater pipe leaking ?

No, I use coolant and the leaking liquid has been tasted :eek:

I haven't done any investigating yet and will be damned sure it's the windscreen before I go taking it out.

Might start investigating tomorrow (Mon), it's the August bank holiday here. I'll let ye all know and will be better armed now with the knowledge coming from this thread.

Thanks all.....

I've always wondered where that infamous rust point is TP. Is that accessible / visible without taking the wing off? Just trying to picture it.

The tricky thing with these window leaks is that they track. Whoever tried to seal my green one was in fact working in completely the wrong place. Once I pulled the glass out I could see where water was getting in. But it only leaked with the tail gate up. The drip wasn't where it was getting past the seal.

Perhaps just wet certain zones on the windscreen, one at a time and wait to see if water appears. Yours is such a beautiful truck it's very hard to believe it would be corrosion

Just to chip in as you rudely put it Rich, there are others on her who have used bucket loads of sealer and still haven't managed to stop the leaks easily. My point is about trying to find WHY they leak and WHERE so that we have a better solution than bodging it with your magic butyl.

I have a tube of butyl which I have been using on things for a long time. It's not a revolutionary new product. I still find it a twat to get off things. And it does get everywhere.

Finding this current leak (on this thread) could be a key lesson on where the water gets in. Something I think we'd all like to know, especially Gary.
My apologies, I had not intended to seem rude Chris. Posted in haste at breakfast.

I think I've said all I have to say here.

Rich that's all good. I didn't get my brekkie til 10.00 so I was quite cross myself.

I'll update the other thread with whatever news I have tomorrow. Now of course, tomorrow still has to happen yet and this is Auto Windscreams we're talking about so anything's possible.

Si
Rich that's all good. I didn't get my brekkie til 10.00 so I was quite cross myself.

I'll update the other thread with whatever news I have tomorrow. Now of course, tomorrow still has to happen yet and this is Auto Windscreams we're talking about so anything's possible.
Sincere good luck with it Chris.

Back