Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

sounds great................... til you read on a bit

Saw that earlier today. Not sure what to say really. Non turbo. Err why?
I like the concept of the 105. Sitting in a 100 today, it is modern and majestic, but having proper Man ales under you is something I like. Oh I am sure it's fine, but you have no idea unless you do it yourself. Professionally converted. Ahh by whom may we ask?

Hey it's all Yota so good stuff. But I would want a very detailed inspection.

Chris

I hear what your saying there Yogi and you'd have to go and have a good look and chat with the owner, but it does make me wish I'd got a spare 10k laying around. Open to offers also, good job in my mind cause those wheels and tyres would have to go :icon-biggrin:

Interesting, its certainly an oddball one. As you say, lots of questions arise from the ad.

What was the vehicle originally? 100 or 105? As the ad says it had a V8 petrol auto, from what I understand the 100 series got the 4.7 V8 engine and the 105 got the 4.5 straight 6 petrol engine.
What market was the car originally built for?
Has the ABS been removed? Might cause MOT problems in the future.
Professinally converted? Well it may be, but its a shame that they didn't sort the transmission tunnel facia, I couldn't live with that mess in there.
It looks like it might have had a gas system on it in the past, looks to be a filler just behind the fuel filler door.

I would be concerned that being a bit of a parts bin special of a vehicle that was never sold in the EU, it may be an issue getting/indentifing parts when they're needed.

105's didn't come with axles diff locks as standard, so that's worth bearing in mind. Regarding the 4.2 normally aspirated engine, that's what most diesel 105's left the factory with, as these vehicles are spec'd to live in harsh environments, where they often get abused and neglected. If the servicing side of things is overlooked, lack of oil changes, its the turbo that fails first, so these markets prefer the simplicity and ruggedness of the non turbo engine. Plus it helps to slow some of the drivers down! In EU we're used to turbo diesels, our road network is better suited to them, we service them correctly and they are reliable long term, hence we all much prefer a turbo. Some people still think N/A = more reliable, it's a bit old school these days really. Look after it and it will look after you.

Chris it's blue!!! Could be worth a look? If it sounds and looks reasonable upon inspection it might be worth seeing if the guy will move on the price. You could pull the 12 valve motor and stick a 24 valve in there, job done. Could be nice to have another Land Cruiser on the drive that is slightly different, yet just as good as the 80.

At the end of the day, it will suit somebody's needs to a tee and will probably cross some continents in the future. It is a LC after all!

I reckon that this chap has got hold of an insurance right off 105, probably rolled or maybe an interior fire and decided to fit a more comfy body onto it. As you say Chris, why would you choose to fit a normally aspirated lump if doing all of that work unless it already came with one on the chassis. The only part that looks a bit bogged to me from the photos is the gear levers centre console area, but looks to me like it just needs a console from out of a manual. I think it's a bloody awesome bit of kit that from the advert would appear to just need a couple of grand spending on it. Maybe an after market turbo (not essential though I'm sure), different wheels and tyres and a centre console. If I had a spare 10k I'd be on my way for a look with out doubt, it would be a one of a kind vehicle in the world, a VX Amazon 105 :icon-cool: :icon-biggrin:

It would not surprise me if its not sold before the end of the week :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance all, but I appreciate all that's said in the above posts and what is disclosed in the advert. The seller seems to be quite knowledgable about the work and transparent about the mods carried out so as invited, a phonecall to him would probably answer all the questions you've raised.

My general question is what would he mean by "The far superior 105 chassis with live drive front axle"

I've got a non turbo 4.2 diesel in my 1995 80 as standard (no idea what market mine was built for, I'm in Europe and it's LHD) but I'm intrigued by the term live drive front axle.

Would this be the same as my 80? It looks the same in the photos. Do I have a live drive front axle? And the next wuestion is what does the 100 and the 105 have originally?

Sorry if they're dumb questions, but I'm always confused by Toyota's numbering of its models (since the 80 that is).

The far superior 105 chassis with live drive front axle

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My general question is what would he mean by "The far superior 105 chassis with live drive front axle"

Clive a live front drive is another term for a solid front axle. The 105 has the same suspension as the 80 series i.e. solid front and rear axles. This is generally considered to be superior to the 100 series vehicles that have IFS; Independent Front suspension, because it is less prone to failure.

IFS gives a better ride and to a great degree, better traction as each wheel is independent of the others in terms of its vertical movement.

The 105 is ostensibly an 80 series chassis under a 100 body.
The 105 also came with the non turbo 4.2 lump.

Having said all of that, times have moved on and many, many, many, vehicles with Independent suspension have traversed the globe successfully without failure. The solid axle superiority is really propagated by "those who like to believe they are in the know" and be seen as a sage and font of all knowledge. It's a bit like the 24V 80 is the best , or the turbo 4.2 is the best, or indeed Toyota is the best etc etc etc.

Most owners will never drive their solid front axle vehicles with anything near the mileage or abuse that they were designed for, but hey, they are essential on the tar roads and pay and play and green lanes people occasionally drive.

Why would you spend all the time & money 'upgrading' a perfectly good 100 to diesel 105 spec when you could just buy a 105 or even an 80 to start with and sort it for a lot less ££? The 105 was available in the African, Asian, Australian, Middle East and South American markets in petrol or diesel but no V8. It was Toyota's attempt to retain some offroad ability and durability which they obviously saw as being compromised by the adoption of IFS.

Thanks Olaz! So the 100 was basically a big 90 and the 105 is a 100 with 80 axles.

(totally ignoring all the other differences of course!)

Cheers!

Thanks Olaz! So the 100 was basically a big 90 and the 105 is a 100 with 80 axles.

(totally ignoring all the other differences of course!)

Cheers!

But if the 100 really was a big 90 you'd end up with all the problems that Nissan have had with the GU Pootrol's and their grenading engines... ie a under-engined. I don't think I'd like a 100 series with the 3.0 from a 90 series in it...

Yes good point. My mate has a 3 litre patrol and although its heavier than a 100 it develops significantly less power than my d4d!

Back