Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speakers.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
As the title.
After spending a couple of weeks trucking around in the Teabag then spending a weekend in the 80 series I realised the shortcomings of the speakers in the 80 from the sound quality aspect.
I'm sure this has been covered in the past but if anyone had any recommendations for something which will help improve matters which will replace the originals I'd appreciate the advice.
BTW the unit is a recently installed Pioneer DAB Bluetooth one.

Interesting. I've got an Alpine head unit in mine and I'm going for a pair of 6.5" Alpine mid range speakers in the door with their tweeters dash mounted in pods designed for gauges. If you go for mids with inbuilt tweeters [co-axials as an example] at knee level or below you lose much of the high level sound. The Alpine unit has enough power in theory to run the speakers but it's a bit marginal so I've gone for a Sony XM-N1004 amp. I don't know how you'd go with 24V but maybe the Pioneer has enough power to drive a different set of drivers?

Jules

Got a kenwood double din apple play thing which I can get test match special on!!
Anyway I had lots of aggro finding a pair of door speakers that were not too deep. In the end I went to the shop just to look at loads of them and picked some Pioneer 3 way door speakers and 6x9 rear speakers. As a package it is excellent.
When I wind the front windows down there is a massive 0.5mm of clearance between the glass and the back of the speaker. Not sure if there is more space where you want them in the 80 but worth’s checking depth is ok Andy.

A test match special eh? The way we're going at the moment there will be no mention of test matches here!

I had to look up how Pioneer manage a three way in one driver ... neat!

Good point about clearance. I'm not sure yet. I did have a preliminary look when I had the panels off the doors to install the sound deadening but if there's a problem I guess it's always possible to fit spacer rings. The Alpine drivers are fairly shallow though they look strongly built.

Are you planning on a sub? Plenty of space in the back of my 79 but I find most of them to be too boooooomy.

Jules

I fitted a set of 4 of these about 4 years ago In Phase XTC10.2 4 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

The fronts are bolted onto the original grilles using M4 bolts
The for the rears I cut the original speakers out of their mounts, cut the mounting tabs off the new speakers and glued them into the original mounts so they fit behind the original grilles in the door cards. Photo is with the grille removed.

PXL_20230213_195734603.jpg

PXL_20230213_195658937.jpg

Many thanks for that JT, I've ordered a pair for the front seeing as the rear is always full of camping stuff.
Will report on the results.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes depth of speaker is main challenge. Anyone find any 6.5 inch speakers that fit 80 series round front door mounts?
I am just after simple replacements nothing fancy. Thanks

Back