Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering (fail)

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
A word of warning to anyone who experiences the steering symptoms that my car had, it could have been a disaster.

I suppose it was over several months that I noticed that the steering was gradually getting stiffer, not centralising like it used to and similar characteristics. The front axle had been rebuilt some 6 months before, so I knew the top & bottom swivel bearings were in good condition, so it couldn't be them. The steering box had also been overhauled recently with new bearings and seals so that was ruled out. Wheel misalignment can cause heavy steering and centralising problems, so I had that checked. Toe alignment was spot on. What else could it be? I applied the "big bar test" to the steering ball joints and there was no excessive play or movement.

It was a Sunday and I did some laning close to home, with some steep sections and more technical rocky parts which are great sport. Anyway, I got back home with no problems. Our house is out of town so in the evening we packed the car up to go back to the city flat. After we all piled into the car, I slowly reversed in an arc to line-up with the gateway and... BANG!.... a bang that shook right through the car, and I was left with a completely "free" steering wheel that felt like it wasn't attached to anything! Reason being, it wasn't!

I jumped out and with a torch ('cos it was dark) spotted the steering arm hanging loose from the steering box control arm. Sorry if my terminoligy is not correct, but this is the only way for me to describe it.

In all my years owning a wide variety of old cars, I have never had a steering ball joint seize up. They have worn and on one occasion one had warn so much that the ball fell out of the socket, but on this occasion the ball joint had seized and the force of the power steering had sheared the pin off just below the taper![attachment=0:3a9pwulr]Steering ball joint 2.JPG[/attachment:3a9pwulr]

Imagine that it hadn't broken in my driveway and it happening at 120KPH on the way home... :shock: :thumbdown:

Although not visible in the photo, the fracture face showed that it had been bending back and forth for some time before it broke.

My advice, if you have similar symptoms, check for ball joint seizure, it could well prevent a disaster.

Happy laning! Clive

Attachments

• Steering ball joint 2.JPG
    Steering ball joint 2.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 336
:o wow close call, glad it was not as bad as it could have been.

Never seen that in all my years either. But I did once have a new Kia Sorento which I was driving to work, turned 90 degs left at a junction and the car just circled round, up the kerb and into a barrier before I could stop. The steering column in the shroud actually snapped and locked up completely. They had to put the vehicle on skates to get it onto the tow truck. That was only one of the many catastrophic failures on that car. Comfy though. :roll:

Chris

Thanks guys for the comments, I was really lucky 'cos 1 hr before I was deep in heavy clay mud and I dont know anyone who has a recovery vehicle that could navigate the track I was on, and 1 hr later I would have had the whole family on board ... :shock: perish the thought of breaking 3 tonnes from highway speed down to a standstill with no steering :hand:

Lucky I was in the comfort and safety of my garden when it broke. Hell of a bang it was, never heard such a noise from a car before!

I'd even dropped the steering damper off that morning to check that it wasn't seizing up. It was a real mystery, revealed with a bang. And the pin must be 15mm or so just before the ball where the break was. The fresh fracture was oval so it had been bending for months probably. The car is my daily as well so it didn't seize up out of under-use.

The dealer selling the new joint had never seen that type of failure either, and he was almost as old as me! It was a nice and easy fix, 10 minutes to get the jack under and the wheel off and another 5 minutes to fit it!

The steering column story reminds me of a youtube vid of guy being towed with no keys in the steering lock... :naughty: :whistle: what a mess that was and all on video bless him, how embarrassing!

All my joints are new ones now... on the [strike:snipcpfd]demand[/strike:snipcpfd] thoughtful suggestion of swmbo ;)

Back