Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering rack leak

That's not the steering rack Shayne, on that photo the steering rack is on the right hand side, you can just see it next to the sub frame the lighter colored silver metal part, with the gator going to the bottom of the photo. The part with oil on is the drive shafts which lead to the front axle/ diff etc.

What colour is the oil? texture and viscosity? find the highest part of the leak too.

Last edited:
Maybe it is i just grabbed camera and took a quick photo as i've been messing about all day putting the truck back together ready for Lincomb . All the underbody guards are back on now so can't see it and i've still got the bumper to replace get the tow bar back on and wire up the tow socket so whatever it is will have to wait until next week now .
There's no oil marks where it gets parked so i'm gonna guess it leaks while on the move .

the steering rack you can see with the guards in place, if you lay under front of the car you can see the rack quite easy, its at the rear of the axle facing the rear of the car. It could be the oil seal on the drive shafts. But you will need to have a poke around and try to identify the exact area its leaking from :)

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2000_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_KZJ95L-GKPNTW_4301.html
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2000_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_KZJ95L-GKPNTW_4302.html

I have the complete workshop manual that covers the chassis and body but am having problems uploading to the site :(

Last edited:
Yeah i know what a steering rack is i just didn't stop to think . Had a new cv boot fitted on that side about 6 weeks ago so maybe it's just a mess of oil left over from that . Whatever it is it will have to wait i've had one of them days when the whole world seems determined to stop you doing what you must do , sod's law , my own fault i shouldn't be going to Lincomb but to hell with it .

I think the oil seals on my drive shafts are weeping slightly because after I have driven it and park up it drips a little bit.! Is it a big job to replace the oil seals.???

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Genuine seals are available from milners for less than half toyota price.

When putting new seals in they only go in about 5mm, be careful not to damage them by pushing in with screwdriver.

Mine both went within a few days of each other, i guess they perish over time.

I worked out that mine were perished quite high up on the seal, they would leak after a drive, and once wiped and oil settled wouldnt leak again as oil wasnt being spun up.

As a temp measure I would jack truck up at end of day and then fill up, overfilling the diff so it was ok for next day (this was in Portugal so no garage).

Mine turned out to be a leaking intercooler pipe right down by the turbo dripping engine oil on the shaft , must have been leaking for a long time :oops:

Since the thread started on the subject of steering rack , It is my understanding that the pump works in accordance with speed and i sometimes get the feeling the balance is messed up . It's an occasional thing that comes and goes but a few times i've been inclined to pull over and look for a mechanical fault because at the last 90 degree junction i had to turn the steering 3/4 way or more ?

Should i just change the fluid or does this suggest bigger problems ?

Back