Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering wheel off centre

fridayman

Garage
I am replacing the tie rod ends and steering rack bushes this afternoon. Is there something that I can do while I am at it to straighten the steering wheel?

You could do it yourself and possibly make it worse but I would pay the 35 quid and get the tracking done which should sort that issue.

Not sure if this is right but seems some logic in it to me

Take note exactly where it is then change the TRE's as normal, counting rotations off and on, then rotate them eqally in the direction required to get the steering wheel straight, tracking should stay the same :think: :think:

Unfortunately that only works if the new TRE are exactly the same length as the originals and if the threaded portion is the same in terms of blind thread etc. I have done that before as a 'get me going' but as the TRE also wear which is why you are replacing them, successive tracking adjustments over the years may have moved the original set point. And of course who's to say that your tracking was right to start with. Poor tracking doesn't always show up. It can be straight and even, but still wrong.

But like I say, it's a pretty near enough measure usually. If you are happy with that then you can return the new TRE to the original set point then wind one on and one off in equal turns to move you wheel but keep your tracking.

Me? I like the £35 option.

Chris

OK, £35 option it is - hopefully I can find someone open tomorrow.

If it has always been out of line, remove the steering wheel & refit in the correct position..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back