Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Storage droning noise

Avery73

Hi guys, I have a 2001 colorado d4d vx with 110000 miles. Their is strange drone from the car when we are traveling at about 50 - 60 mph. I know it's not the tyres as it has only just started doing it over the past month or so and they are about 6 months old.
It has been in to the garage and they couldn't find anything wrong. I have checked the bearings and there is no play or grinding.
I am at a loss to what to look at next. Any wiser heads have any ideas.
Cheers in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Might be worth checking out the U joints on the propshafts - IIRC the droning at 50-60mph can be a symptom of worn U joints.

60mph makes me think wind speed or aerodynamics might be the cause , any new dents or cracked light lenses or anything like that ? or maybe something is loose making it vibrate at high speed . Where a noise is coming from can be very deceptive at those sort of speeds .

Depending on make / tread pattern it could still be the tyres... Fitted new fronts (BFG KM2 MTs) to my 2001 Collie about 3 months ago an just beginning to notice a slight increase in road noise/drone from new. So: what tyres have you fitted? Also, have you checked for any damage / holes to main silencer box? If in very early stages, you might just pick up certain frequency noises rather than a 'blow'.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My KM2's were quiet to start with but the road noise increased after the first 5,000 miles, to produce a droning. The noise is most noticeable at motorway speeds, and does become tiresome when cruising long distances on the autoroute with the window down.

Que a decent stereo!

My first thought was dry UJs on the props, worth checking.

Seriously, I had a whistle noise appear after a car wash and after long searches and dead end ideas, found that the stubby antenna at the leading edge of the roof had been rotated vertically, instead of it's usual raked position. What a racket it made, couldn't believe it was something so simple. With a look!

Last edited:
Cheers guys I will look into these. Unfortunately I came off my mountain bike on Tuesday at 35mph and broke my arm. So it might take awhile to get back to you guys with the results.

Jeez, what is it with people lately - forum members seem to be having a few mishaps! - wishing you a speedy recovery.

Cheers guys I will look into these. Unfortunately I came off my mountain bike on Tuesday at 35mph and broke my arm. So it might take awhile to get back to you guys with the results.

Nasty. Taken a few tumbles myself downhilling, luckily never broken anything more than my glasses and skin. Take it easy and get well soon!

Back