Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Storage & packing... And inverter question..

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Getting ready for the trip to Italy in a couple of weeks, so looking at a better way of packing than I've had before. I use the back of the truck a lot for carrying stuff, so a built in drawer/storage unit was out. Luckily a chap I know came up trumps with 4 large storage tubs from the warehouse in work.

There's no tie down points in the back of the 95, so I installed some light duty improvised lashing points. Modified from expanding plasterboard fixings. They won't take huge pressure, but good enough for 150kg I reckon... Plenty able to rock the truck about with them.

84bcc652e6a9eaa9422d5b3532f6f5a1_zps4bcd01a7.jpg

d7f7bcc9468a268659078912617616b1_zps7541700c.jpg

33b469671f002911efa688506af6e838_zpsdea229df.jpg

Looking at different ideas, incorporating the fridge. There will be a barbecue behind the tubs as well as the tent/chairs etc. Want to run he fridge off an inverter, but my small one (150w) won't power it (fridge rated at 85w). Is it that it needs a big surge to start it then draws the 85w after??? :think:

e1b6c59e07eaa261a56c3d1cf8f52d46_zps9d6b6938.jpg

d15df91c7cf811eddb3ea961dcd8d7d9_zps0cdb6b07.jpg

you don't say what the fridge is - but why not run it off 12V. Inverters are hideous and inefficient things. Personally I would use 12V throughout.

My Waeco pulls just under 4 amps when running and an average of 1 amp per hour over time from the battery. I certainly would not run it from an inverter on 240v. Doesn't make any sense. When parked up, I would think running the fridge from an inverter without the engine is only going to lead to one outcome.

I'm with Steve 100%

It's a 240v domestic fridge, we will be using it on the campsites. Have been looking at it again and it looks practically impossible to do easily. The square wave doesn't suit a fridge motor, and even my new 400w wired inverter may not be able to start it. Would never have run it without the engine in any case.

I don't have the spare change to get an Engel, or a Waeco etc.. But they are seriously good. It's not a big problem. I have a 12v cooler that I can throw in too keep water and the like cool on the road.

Cheers for the feedback though

It's a 240v domestic fridge, we will be using it on the campsites. Have been looking at it again and it looks practically impossible to do easily. The square wave doesn't suit a fridge motor, and even my new 400w wired inverter may not be able to start it. Would never have run it without the engine in any case.

I don't have the spare change to get an Engel, or a Waeco etc.. But they are seriously good. It's not a big problem. I have a 12v cooler that I can throw in too keep water and the like cool on the road.

Cheers for the feedback though

Why not hire a fridge - a number of companies do them - possibly Devon4x4?

Not in Ireland as far as I'm aware, but a good idea nonetheless..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
pick one up on the way through England and drop it off on return?

I've had them in my truck for years, a great versatile product, very simple to install and use. The low profile of the track means that it isn't too intrusive when not in use, also there is the benefit of spreading the loading along the track.

I'll certainly have a look at those when I come back.. Very interesting, especially the pockets inside the window opening. Luckily for the trip, the boxes mean not much needs to be tied down at the back so I'll be ok for now.

I've decided just to use the 12v cooler box on the road to keep refreshments cool, and use the fridge on site as we have a hookup wherever we are staying.

Back