Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Storm Helene…how much wind can a Howling Moon RTT take?

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Sitting atop the Cruiser in our RTT on a campsite high above St Ives Cornwall with the wind howling and beginning to wish we were inside somewhere solid. It is blowing a hoolie out with some heavy gusts. We had to go out and rescue the Batwing and got that put away successfully. Had to tie the fly sheet down and guy it as it was bending the rods over the tent.

Thought we would be sheltered. We are, and it’s still rocking the cruiser!
Trying to get some sleep at 2:30 in the morning!!

Last edited:
Our first night in the HM we had wind of around 50mph and managed to snap the guy ropes.

It was pretty worrying so I do feel for the nights sleep you didn't get

when we were in scotland last year we were on the sabd dunes. perfect spot for a camp. i didnt think about winds.

it started early hours and was like nothing id experianced. i thought the tent was going to get ripped off the roof with the rack.

we packed up around half five. something i never want again. hense another reason for the roof chop.ď

Sitting atop the Cruiser in our RTT on a campsite high above St Ives Cornwall with the wind howling and beginning to wish we were inside somewhere solid. It is blowing a hoolie out with some heavy gusts. We had to go out and rescue the Batwing and got that put away successfully. Had to tie the fly sheet down and guy it as it was bending the rods over the tent.

All safe and sound rich?
you having a lie in?:)

At around 3:20 we moved down into the awning as it was getting worse but couldn’t get any sleep on the chairs so by 3:40 decided to stuff everything we could through the Gullwing into the truck and left the tent for the front seats of the cruiser. Managed to get a couple of hours sleep. The tent still seems to be attached so another test for the roof rack. I’m now aching in places I didn’t know could ache! :crazy: But at least we’ve had some sleep.

Going to decide on what we do for the rest of the week as it looks like it’s going to be the same. :cry:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was out camping on the night of the great storm in 1986, most of the tents didn't make it.
We spent the night in the bar!

Impressive! which net work are you with?.. If a sparrow farts in our garden we loose our signal... Glad you survived :thumbup:

Feel for you there Rich. RRT's can sound like being inside a jet engine when theres a strong wind blowing.

If you get stuck for accomodation i've got family down there who'll be able to put you up so let me know

Are you at polmanter touring park ?

We stayed there June and the foxwing got a bit trashed when setting it up and gust of wind hit it.
I thought it would be sheltered with high hedges....

Feel for you there Rich. RRT's can sound like being inside a jet engine when theres a strong wind blowing.

If you get stuck for accomodation i've got family down there who'll be able to put you up so let me know
Nick, thank you so much. We are Ok as remarkably is all of the RTT. Jet engine is a very good description. We will camp tonight, it won’t be quiet but it won’t be like last night. Instead of staying into Friday we’ve decided to move on, probably to a b&b or something further inland between here and Stratford AO show. No idea where yet.

Are you at polmanter touring park ?

We stayed there June and the foxwing got a bit trashed when setting it up and gust of wind hit it.
I thought it would be sheltered with high hedges....
We were recommended Polmanter but they wanted quite a bit to stay. We found Higher Penderleath which is a nice site a little further inland. Quite a few trees around and we missed out on most of the wind until it turned more westerly.
175704EB-2224-4484-95B0-7376AC94F978.jpeg

Over that ridge is St Ives then the Atlantic.

D7597485-53DB-44AC-95CE-C68314A5D989.jpeg

Still intact.

Aha, yes i cycled past Higher Penderleath on my mountain bike on way to moors. Yes it is a bit higher and more exposed than polmanter.
Polmanter was ok, but not somewhere I would go back to, too many nosey caravaners

Aha, yes i cycled past Higher Penderleath on my mountain bike on way to moors. Yes it is a bit higher and more exposed than polmanter.
Polmanter was ok, but not somewhere I would go back to, too many nosey caravaners
HP is a big site. There’s a sign quoting pitches 100-200 but it’s down to about 10 now out of season. I like the feel of it and the wooded areas. Facilities are limited out of season but perfectly adequate. Good in most respects.

We’ve just discovered the Halsetown Inn. Great pub, great food and friendly staff. One to remember. All it needs is a sofa and a fire and they’d be kicking me out at midnight. :)

Didn't go to that inn
But the Engine Inn, on road to Penzance had great beer, and the waterwheel inn, on the way road you take to bypass st Ives also good.
Only had beer in them, tend to do our own cooking

We had something similar in Iceland last year. To be honest the Hannibal tent was completely fine but it was so noisy inside that it was impossible to sleep. Some others in our group had the ability to layout two sleeping areas inside their cars. This emergency inside option is what I am now exploring how best to do in an 80 - or get a 78 with a pop top.

Back