Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

stupid idea?

Knucklehead

Hi,

I'm planning to swap out the old shocks/springs and have had a read through Slee's guide.
I know that as soon as I try to get out the brake/abs line bolts etc.. so no overstretching, it will be snap, snap ,snap.

To avoid the PITA of hours spent drilling/re-tapping, I was wondering if the following might work?

To remove old springs:
1) Using very high axle stands under the chassis, drop the axle fully
2) Jack up one side of the axle a few inches to compress spring and fit coil clamps thumb tight
3) Lower the axle back down again and the coil should remain compressed enough to remove.

To fit new springs:
1) Compress the new spring a few inches with clamps enough to fit back in position
2) Fit in position and raise side of axle again to compress the spring enough to allow removal of clamps

Anyone tried it this way or has last nights brew destroyed my few remaining brain cells?:wtf:

Cheers,
Dave

I swopped my four +2" shocks/springs in about an hour and a quarter. I didnt disconnect any brake pipes or use spring clamps. I did undo the rear anti roll bar brackets inside the rear arches,this is where the potential lies for snapping bolts off I suppose?. Other than that just jacked the truck up high on the chassis,iirc I did use a small bottle jack on the front between axle and chassis to give a little more room. Was the neasiest susp. swop I've ever done:icon-biggrin:

yeah Dan, have been trying to think of ways of removing the springs with hitting as few bolts as possible, especially hidden ones as hard to use heat/spray and mine are all rusted solid.

I had a tough enough time removing the rear shock bolts. After weeks of soaking in plus gas/freeze spray I managed to get them all out bar one snapped lower shock bolt.

Can you see any reason why my idea above would not work?

Can't see why not,why not fit your spring compressors in the first place? Will save jacking twice? Just been thinking about it,pretty sure I disconnected the front ARB too,just undone it from the link arms. Makes plenty of room

Thanks for the suggestion Dan. Worth a go to avoid snapping more bolts.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Engine crane on the tow bar, undo ARBs, slacken handrake. I swapped my spring (over cos they were the wrong way round) in 15 mins. OK so lower shock mounts came undone easily. But no need to doscombobulate any brake lines etc. Top mounts are a tw@t it's true. But you can unbolt the damper OR you can unbolt the mounting plate they sit in. Bigger bolts, easier to get to.

Chris

Cheers Chris,

Thanks for your advice. Less bolts I need to hit the better.

In prep, I used a piece of clear tubing pushed over each of the rear shock plate bolt shanks and filled them with plus gas. Drove around for a couple of weeks and let it do its thing. Seemed to really help with getting them out as were rusted solid.

Don't think much can be done with the rear bottom bolts. Went at them real gentle and still snapped one.

Anyhow, sounds like I can get the coils out without messing with brake line bolts etc.

Cheers,
Dave.

Back