Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Subscriptions - forum update. Please read.

Thanks for a fascinating insight to the club/forum and many views. Lots of toys thrown out of cots. I have already had a massive amount of help and advice in my short time as a member and learnt a lot. One trip to a main dealer to sort any one of my probs would have cost at least 20 years subs, so there is no argument from me about paying up. Don't care how or what its called.

A big thanks to Crispin for his work - and for his very calm responses to some of the less than fair remarks.

Great work Crispin. :thumbup:

Would it be possible to move the advertising banner at the top of the page down a bit so its not covering the club logo? IMHO it would look a lot better.

Also where has the "MY Threads" button gone from the top of the page? I'm guessing you moved it/got rid of it to add the "Remove Adverts" button?

:think:

I've paid the remove adverts fee but there are still adverts at the top of the page alongside the club logo, and as I no longer require the "Remove Adverts" button can I have the "MY Threads" button back please?

Last edited:
Thanks Ben. Could you go here and tell me what your screen res is: http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/
I know the banner is spilling over on to the logo - I'll be mucking around with it today to get it better. I know this looks fugly on a tablet as well.

I removed the "My Threads" button to make space - I was wondering if anyone used it. Guess so :). It's back now.

Chas - I'm looking for a way to make the button disappear when it's no longer needed, will be soon.
As for the sponsored banners next to the logo, those don't vanish as they're sponsoring sponsoring the site. Hopefully, once I have sorted out the layout, these will not be too intrusive.

CP

.... I'm looking for a way to make the button disappear when it's no longer needed....
I'm guessing subscribers are moved to a different user group once subscribed? If this is the case, NavBar menu items can be controlled by 'IF' conditions in the NavBar template :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks Ben. Could you go here and tell me what your screen res is: http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/
I know the banner is spilling over on to the logo - I'll be mucking around with it today to get it better. I know this looks fugly on a tablet as well.

I removed the "My Threads" button to make space - I was wondering if anyone used it. Guess so :). It's back now.

Chas - I'm looking for a way to make the button disappear when it's no longer needed, will be soon.
As for the sponsored banners next to the logo, those don't vanish as they're sponsoring sponsoring the site. Hopefully, once I have sorted out the layout, these will not be too intrusive.

CP

The banner is not spilling onto the club logo for me, thanks for replacing the My Threads button I use it quite frequently.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CP

Thanks Cris. :icon-biggrin:

I'm running 1024 x 600 (little netbook) :icon-wink:

The advert is spilling over on to the logo on mine. :thumbdown:

Thanks for reinstating the my threads button.

I use it when I want to update my LJ70 Build Thread as its the easiest/quickest way to find the thread if its not been updated/replied to for a few days. :thumbup:

I think the advert at the top of each page for the club's sponsors is great and certainly not intrusive. Will be even better when you've managed to tweak its position slightly. :clap:

Before I paid the £12 to get rid of the adverts, it was all advertising things I've previously searched for on Google.com.au Had an advert for a tec college I'm thinking of going to and a music festival I've bought tickets to.

How does that work? I'm guessing google only displays adverts for sites previously visited by that IP address? :think:

.... How does that work? I'm guessing google only displays adverts for sites previously visited by that IP address? :think:
You'd be amazed what cookies can do these days.

so all this whining about 12 bucks? seriously?
yes, i can see this is a dictatorship but then so is Mud. you can have a loving dictator or an evil one. be happy this one is a good one.
donations - what i have seen over the years is donations don't work. the cheap people still don't pay but leach their needs anyway.
mandatory contributions or subscriptions - they work. that simple.

i am not here as much as i would like but when i do visit i enjoy the posts. i enjoy the old boy bantering that goes on.

Cris, why should you donate time and money on your own? those that visit the site are benefiting from your work and they should contribute. you will have further server and software upgrades to purchase in the future. your time is worth money.

curious, when someone heads off to their job in the morning, how many donate their time for free? how many go up to their bosses and say "you don't need to pay me this week, i am donating my time for free? You don't even need to pay for the parts i will be using, i will pay for them out of my own pocket" i doubt anyone.
so why should anyone expect Cris to work for free? why would anyone expect Cris to pay for the parts without the ability to ask to be reimbursed?

personally, those that complained about the "fee" should be ashamed of themselves. what have YOU contributed to the forum out of your own time or pocket? if nothing then bugger off with your sniveling, your whining, your complaining.

in a nutshell, take off the diapers and grow up.

tell me where to send the coin, i am happy to contribute.

Thanks Cris. :icon-biggrin:

I'm running 1024 x 600 (little netbook) :icon-wink:

The advert is spilling over on to the logo on mine. :thumbdown:

Thanks for reinstating the my threads button.

I use it when I want to update my LJ70 Build Thread as its the easiest/quickest way to find the thread if its not been updated/replied to for a few days. :thumbup:

I think the advert at the top of each page for the club's sponsors is great and certainly not intrusive. Will be even better when you've managed to tweak its position slightly. :clap:

Before I paid the £12 to get rid of the adverts, it was all advertising things I've previously searched for on Google.com.au Had an advert for a tec college I'm thinking of going to and a music festival I've bought tickets to.

How does that work? I'm guessing google only displays adverts for sites previously visited by that IP address? :think:

Thanks Ben,
I'll sort it out today at some point.

As Paul has hinted to, there are things called cookies which the browser and google et al use to track where you have been and what you have been doing. With that information they can show you target adverts so when you see adverts for college it's because you looked at that somewhere else.

Bat21 - Makes you wonder why yours were showing adverts for the new Range Rover :whistle:

Mine just come up with russain wives sites. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

.... Bat21 - Makes you wonder why yours were showing adverts for the new Range Rover :whistle:
Well it certainly wasn't because I was looking at buying one.... and I haven't been looking for a loan, job, TDI Tuning box, VW service, Euro Car part or French Maid's outfit.... okay so I lied about the last one :whistle:

Obviously all gone for me now but I do log out occasionally to see what exciting things I'm missing out on :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
In my short time being a member here, I have also saved a small fortune on parts and had good help from the people on this forum. I would like to say that chrispin does a excellent job keeping all this together here.
Please let me know how I can pay my sub for this brilliant and worthwhile forum.

Cheers, Mark

Sorry, I've been a bit busy playing radios.

personally, those that complained about the "fee" should be ashamed of themselves. what have YOU contributed to the forum out of your own time or pocket? if nothing then bugger off with your sniveling, your whining, your complaining.

I have contributed plenty to the forum, time and money when it most needed both to draw in users and all the way up to now. Do you think you have contributed enough to be telling people to bugger off Crushers?

Along with many others, I have gone out of my way and invested a very significant amount of time helping people with their problems on here on the basis it would be freely available information and I provided and continue to offer the resources to keep it free, so it is a bit of a surprise that all of a sudden people are now expected to pay to get that information that I (and others) provided for free because Crispin alone decided the forum should be on a bigger and better server. I say expected because if there's a button for it there's clearly an expectation.

Maybe some context is in order - before this forum went public, Crispin got a few of us involved that were very active on another forum and in amongst the discussions was establishing the governance of the forum and during that discussion Crispin said "As Gary suggested, I think a committee might be a bit of an overkill / PIA at the moment. Until further notice, it's a "team" of people just trying to build a decent community? If and when it's time to formalise things, we can think again? Don't particularly want too much bureaucracy at the moment.". We (incorrectly it turns out) took that to mean an informal comittee was in place and in the usual way of those kind of things everyone had a say and no one person had ultimate say.

I've seen on ih8mud people being castigated because they don't have a silver star but request information and here we have Crushers giving a very good example of why I am against having them that do and them that don't on here, look at how he describes those that don't pay.

BTW, how can calling it a dictatorhip be harsh or below the belt? That's like me saying the sky is blue and you telling me it is below the belt? Some people think a dictatorship is the right way to run a forum like this, saves a lot of messing about with votes and stuff like that, but not me.

I'm pretty indifferent to all this and will adapt my forum usage to fit the new context and get some of my life back but if you think I am emotional about it then read my posts again and if the emotion is not explicitly stated it isn't there or is in the imagination of the reader, I lack the communication skills to be subtle so it will be explicit if I want you to read some emotion.

Last edited:
yes, there is some on Mud that chastise those without a start ... usually those getting chastised are trying to sell something.
i am not one of the chastisers. i don't care if someone has a star or a membership, it isn't my site.

i am surprised that you took my post personal, as i said "if you have not contributed ..." which makes the post non-specific but more of a personal intimate look at one self. if you are leaching info and not giving back then one should feel a sting of conscience for whining about a subscription fee.

it seems you and i are more alike than you might want to admit. i also am a in-your-face individual with a difficult time with being PC.

peace

Like others have said, 12 squids a year is nothing to the help and advice I have had from the site - I am a pretty recent member, so dont know all the history, but I cannot for the life of me see the problem. One can chose to pay your 12 quid or not. Simples.
Right off to cut an awful lot of grass around a holiday complex in the heat.
Back later (I hope!)
Steve

Like others have said, 12 squids a year is nothing to the help and advice I have had from the site - I am a pretty recent member, so dont know all the history, but I cannot for the life of me see the problem. One can chose to pay your 12 quid or not. Simples.
Steve I am not picking on you, your post is just the latest along similar lines - as a beneficiary you might not mind paying, but maybe the 'givers' mind that what they provided for free you are now expected to pay for. Yes you have a choice, but you are undoubtedly expected to pay, read this thread and the low opinion of non payers is very evident so it is inevitable that it alienates those people and makes this forum a much poorer place in my opinion.

The advertising banner at the top each page looks perfect now Cris, top work. :thumbup:

Yep, sponsor's banner looks good on laptop, PC and iPad :dance:

Well I have bought a chip from Tdi tuning so clearly the advertising must work!

Chris

Back