Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Subscriptions - forum update. Please read.

I was thinking about this earlier and whilst I do think the sponsorship route is the one to go down this could take time. Now if Cris needs some cash to keep things ticking over for the next couple of months whilst we talk things over then I am more than happy to chip in. Don't want any special recognition or a little star by my name but if it is needed to just help keep things moving then im in.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I was thinking about this earlier and whilst I do think the sponsorship route is the one to go down this could take time. Now if Cris needs some cash to keep things ticking over for the next couple of months whilst we talk things over then I am more than happy to chip in. Don't want any special recognition or a little star by my name but if it is needed to just help keep things moving then im in.

I'm up for this too! Please, just let me know how much, how and when.

I've said my piece before, so when all this is sorted, I'll go along with the consensus (please, let's try to avoid ads at all costs! :hand:).

First of all, I'm happy to pay - I've certainly had my money's worth since March 2010.
Secondly, Crispin seems to be doing a good job of keeping this forum going - So I've no concerns about him continuing to do so.
Thirdly, a question - Who else is running the group/community or whatever it's called? , and who decides who those people are? Maybe I was asked, but I don't recall.
Fourthly - There has been previous mention of a 2 tier membership system if payments were made by some individuals,which it appeared to me was not well liked...My concern is that there already is a tiered system in place as I'm shown as a member and others who have joined since me are now senior members - I know it's off topic but perhaps someone could explain seeing as I might be potentially paying to continue being here.
Just because I don't post a lot doesn't mean I'm some sort of second class person.

Andy question 4 it is solely due to the amount of posts. Most forums have something similar. To me it is just another kind of post counter.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cris - How long are we tied into this new server? or in other words: How much money do we need to raise by 'donation/advertising/sponsorship' to cover this period?

Surely we can work together to raise this amount - by what ever means - and work as a single group to plan for the future once this contract is up for renegotiation...

tough call for crispin to make!

I am a subscriber on another forum, and that gives me certain privilages (use of classifieds as a seller, hidden forums) but It's a much larger, more active forum (not car related) with thousands of members. The owner tried numerous ways to fund the site, adverts, voluntary contributions, but ended up with an annual fee.

I'd hate to lose the resource, but (being honest) dunno if many people will actually pay. look at the number of people who only join when their cruiser manifests a problem, and never post beyond a few breakdown related posts.

There isn't going to be a clear-cut solution to this problem. Not everyone is prepared to pay, but everyone's participation is required to help the forum function especially with so many different threads and categories to contribute to. If people are not prepared to pay then I suggest that the forum gets consolidated so that there is less work for the moderator(s) For example, Instead of having ebay addicts, stuff for sale and commercial etc that could all be lumped into one.

I have always quietly wondered what makes a voluntary moderator tick, because it is one time-consuming pain in the ass. Crispin has a lot on his shoulders whether he likes it or not and I feel that everyone is grateful for his services. However, what happens if he gets hit by bus tomorrow (does that null the contract:eusa-naughty:) there needs to be some form of continuation etc.

I would suggest that in the interim we could try to consolidate the forum by reducing the individual categories for a start. Have an automatic account deletion for inactive users and help reduce any unnecessary traffic and storage. At the absolute minimum the hosting charges should be met in their entirety so no individual is forking out for everyone's entertainment. Provided all the costs can be justified and If the lump isnt too excessive then I cannot see why anyone would object to paying.

I think the discussion has gone on too long- lets just get a fee agreed and get on with it before there is no forum to argue on!

Thank you to Crispin for his efforts and others who have contributed in one way or another. I'm open minded and don't mind making a financial contribution. I would be more inclined to donate the amount require rather than a subscription. On the other hand a subscribed, minimal contribution section ie workshop manuals etc would keep the abusers at bay and generate integrity funding. I think we should avoid putting new comers off by means of payments/ fees.
A separate sponsors page where we can easily search for the specific info as apposed to flashy pop up type ads. Sponsor badges on the home page are good to, as long as they don't keep flashing, popping up and constantly having to close the boxes.
Could we get club stickers done to raise funds, printed T-shirts, 4x4 fun days.
You have my support and I don't mind stumping up my dollar.

As a member who is far less experienced than many on here, I feel I have gotten far more from the forum than I have brought to it. I'm not sure a subscription is the answer though, as when I first googled landcruiser forums and browsed what was on offer, I would have immediately passed on anything that required an up front payment.

Having said this, I would be glad to contribute to the upkeep of the site having been welcomed and helped by the good people of cruiser land. This is a wonderful site, and the list of threads is an invaluable resource for any DIY mechanic. Personally a few ads on site would be a small inconvenience on they eye, but not off putting. If advertising could support the site, then maybe combine that with a small nominal payment to turn off ads, the same as with mobile apps. The free version has banners and ads, the paid version does not.

No way should the status quo remain if Crispin has to fund it personally, maybe the initial mention of subs put the heebie-jeebies into a few people.

I have been more than happy with the way that Crispin runs things here, and would be happy to contribute to cover his expenses. However, if there are members that prefer this to be a community managed forum, perhaps there should be an annual upgrade plan presented to the members followed by a fund raising effort. This would require more effort from Crispin though, so I would prefer to just donate the amount that Crispin needs each time.

I don't mind adverts as long as they are nothing to do with 4x4's . Once there is a link between things being offered and the subject matter of this site it will be on a slippery slope.

Frank

Having already said my bit, for what its worth I feel a bit torn.

On the one hand I'm not one of the founders so I feel that the running of the site is none of my business. On the other hand, I'm as much a member as any of the others, despite me admitting that I don't contribute much to technical queries, which are dealt with swiftly and accurately by many of the founders.

So what's this concluding to? I'll pay a subscription gladly. I don't understand how anyone can decide who pays and who doesn't, but I'll go with the decision.

Why not open an anonymous donations page and see what happens? I'm sure the immediate "bills" would be covered by that and only over time would anyone know whether it was sufficient to keep the site going. Asking for donations always lands on the same folks who donated last time, but by it being permanently available and anonymous this way anyone could donate whatever they want.

I'm sure there's a broad cross section of pensioners, students, out of work, resting, average wage, and well paid amongst us, clearly scope for a voluntary anonymous donations page to work.

Sponsorship is another good option, but there's a tendency for the sponsors to take over the running, content and presentation of the site, which should stay in the member's hands.

By the way, but most importantly, Cris does a sterling job and was very generous to me on one occasion that I won't forget. As a relatively new member, I was very impressed. He shouldn't have any financial burdens from running this site, the work alone is asking more than enough. Thanks Crispin.

Just my thoughts.

Yes Andy - I've sent of emails, had some responses. Will update when I have more.

I see there are now ads - if you aren't logged in? :think:

Yup, trying out the Google adverts. Will update all soon with what's happening. It's all good.

I would happily pay a sub to use this forum. We have adverts on the Star Wars Forum I am on and the advert is just one banner at the top of the forum where the notification tab is on this one. A lot of the time you don't notice it unless its an add that catches your eye.

Back