Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suspension Fluid

Dark Dude

Checked the levels on the suspension fluid this morning and discovered they were a bit low. Any suggestions (apart from the obvious)?

The Other John

AKA: The Dark Dude

Different states of pressure?

Might be worth checking again in the same and other circumstances (cold/hot, engine off/on.)

When i removed my resevoir the other day the level had dropped quite a bit from the day before but no obvious leaks, maybe its the difference when the accumulators and spheres are charged up or not.

Different suspension heights will leave you with different levels in the reservoir, so keep in mind if it's in the N position there has to be room in the reservoir for the fluid that will return to it when you go to L, so you don't want to over full to begin with :) The only way it can consume fluid is if there's a leak.

I can't see a leak anywhere. Where would a leak show up? I'll check again both when the engine is hot and cold but as yet, underneath is as dry as a bone. Off to Mr T in the morning to pick up a locking wheel nut which was ordered pre-riot and they said they will give it a quick once over just to make sure.....Can't ask more than that.

The Other John

AKA: The Dark Dude.

Update

Took a trip up the Seven Sisters Road to Mr T's where they did a quick once over and topped up the suspension reservoir with more jungle juice. I can't help thinking that something isn't quite right.......

The Other John

AKA: The Dark Dude

As the spheres loose their pressure, slowly over time, the fluid level will go down.
So, it's just a sign that you spheres are wearing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
what should be the level of the fluid in position low, N and high? is it normal when is on High the level is below minimum ?

what should be the level of the fluid in position low, N and high? is it normal when is on High the level is below minimum ?
The level in the reservoir should only be checked with the suspension in the 'N' postion, Not L and Not H.
The fluid level with Suspension in postion 'N' should between 'Max' and 'Min' in the reservoir, do NOT use any other AHC fluid, or any other fluid other than the genuine Toyota AHC fluid PN 0888681260, this is very, very important, otherwise in the long run you'll end up with a whole host of problem's.

So,Yes, when your AHC is in 'H' it is normal for the level in the reservoir to be below minimum, just as when it's in 'L' it will read above 'Max'.

When you lower the AHC, fluid is pushed into the reservoir, when you raise the AHC, fluid is withdrawn from the reservoir, obviously this all has to be done with the motor running and all the door's closed, bonnet/ hood can be open.

All of the above is presuming your AHC is in good operating condition, I.E no leaks and no wear in the Spheres.

Hope this helps.:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back