Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suspensions again...

Ducktape

Hi guys,

I'm still confused about which suspension I should go for... The more I search / research and read other posts on various forums, the more confused I get...

I've almost decided on OME until I heard of a few guys recently that have issues with their OME shocks leaking oil in less than a year since fitted!!!
I was also thinking about the new foamies from IM (cheaper), but have heard and seen worse things about the IM's (Nitro Gas) especially how badly they rust in less than 6mths...with the only reply from the suppliers being "IM are not made for the high salt volumes of UK roads"

Currently I'm considering Koni shocks with Lovell or OME springs, but not sure what the effect of different spring/shock combinations will have...

In what I've read the past year I've come to the conclusion that in Aus/SA this is the preferred order:
1.) Bilstein/Lovell or
2.) Koni/King or
3.) Bilstein/King and
4.) OME all round
5.) Tough dog all round
6.) EFS/King

Planning a trans-Africa trip kicking off at the end of 2012 so I need something that is dependable, durable and available for purchase in the UK ofcourse.

Your thoughts please..!?

I have Rancho Shocks on the rear of my prado. I bought this when I went america.

They are very nice shocks which offer a 9 different setting which can be controlled inside your cruiser with the additional set up. They have been on my cruiser for about 2 years and still going strong, with the milners springs as well, which arnt too bad.

Rancho dont actually sell shocks for the colorado so I bought them for a 4runner which pretty much use the same suspension.

Ducktape, I'm pleased my IM, however as you mentioned there are rust spots on them, if I were to fit springs/shocks again , I would use IM but I'd also give them a good coating of white hammerite or simular around the joints prior to fitting, which should prevent/postpone the ingress of rust !

Over the moon with my Ironman. got B-spec springs and even after fitting the winch, bullbars etc still give me good lift on the front. may possibly go for some spacers just to gain what i have lost through the weight and I think it must be at least 4 months on now and still looking good, no rust yet. But may give them a lick of paint if I put the spacers on.

Beau said:
I have Rancho Shocks on the rear of my prado. I bought this when I went america.

They are very nice shocks which offer a 9 different setting which can be controlled inside your cruiser with the additional set up. They have been on my cruiser for about 2 years and still going strong, with the milners springs as well, which arnt too bad.

Rancho dont actually sell shocks for the colorado so I bought them for a 4runner which pretty much use the same suspension.

Hi very interested to know which Rancho kit you bought? How does the in cab adjustment work - I was almost going to import the Toughdog Stuff from Aus to get this type of setup....

Dave

DaveWall said:
Beau said:

Hi very interested to know which Rancho kit you bought? How does the in cab adjustment work - I was almost going to import the Toughdog Stuff from Aus to get this type of setup....

Dave

It was the Rancho RS9000XL Adjustable Shock Absorbers, like from this site. http://www.rancho.com.au/surf.html

They were to fit a 4runner/surf which bassically use the same stuff. I bought the 1" lift one as the original 4runner shocks are ever so slightly smaller. I dont have the inside cabin adjustment, as it cost quite a lot and I thought was not worth it. It was easy enough to adjust from underneath when you know the back is going to be heavy ect. They are very good shocks, been over a year and still no rust at all. They look very Nice as well :clap: . They stiffen up the back end and its a big difference. :D Very happy with them, well worth it!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am not overlly happy with my ironman kit :( in under a year the shocks and springs have rust and paint flakeing off and look as if ive removed them from an old scrapper :shock: the rear shock rubber mounting bushes are all perished and split aswell not what i was expecting in under a year.

As for the SL i thought that i was sold the wrong kit as the lift was very minimal and not what was advertised on ironmans site or on here, after checking and double checking i do have the same kit as others have, at first i thought it was just mine but others have now posted that suspension spacers have been added to give the true lift stated from ironman themselves.
not sure what other kits are out there to be honest but i would bet that they all have good points and bad so i guess it would come down to cost again and ironman have that one sorted

All I can say is, I have OME, and have done over 20000km's through Africa, with no hassles :thumbup:

I made a schoolboy error - I bought the springs before knowing exactly how heavily laden we would be, and so we did most of Morocco with a sagging rear end. This would have put extra strain on the shocks surely. We did many Chris Scott routes this way. No leakages. ;)

IMG_1336.JPG

Turned out well enough as I got the Air Lift bags and they are great. I know they are pricey but IMO they are tried and tested and I will go for them again in future.

So, I am a OME fan :)

IMG_1975.jpg

I was considering OME all round, but...

The only reason why I'm considering a different shock is because it seems that sadly OME's shocks are not that reliable anymore. Two of my mates with OME had oil leaks within the first year now... I have basically come up with three options within budget.

1.) OME all round or
2.) Koni heavy track shocks (Not HT Raids) and OME springs
3.) Bilstein shocks and OME springs

Have anyone had any experience with Koni shocks with OME springs combo's?

Cheers,

Look I'm certainly no expert and I leave that stuff to Chris and Jon Etc, but I'd put money on it that if they took a look at your SL with ironman they'd find someting incorrect in the installation, I know I may come across as biased to IM, however I find it hard and difficult to believe that you have so many varied issues, rust yes, this can't be denied, but everything else, c'mon guys :snooty:

I know Chris takes the pi55 out of me for not doing oat an my own, it's only cos I can rely his judgement 100% ( and he lives next door) but I witnessed him tutoring his lad last weekend on swivel bearings and the mechanics of the front axle and believe me he knows his 5hit, the point is I've read his replies on your issues where by he says have you done this or that, as the smallest error often magnifies into a major issue. My advice is CHECK, CHECK and CHECK AGAIN, then ask Chris or Jon !

I LOVE SMORNOFF, AT 2am

smokyjoe said:
I am not overlly happy with my ironman kit :( in under a year the shocks and springs have rust and paint flakeing off and look as if ive removed them from an old scrapper :shock: the rear shock rubber mounting bushes are all perished and split aswell not what i was expecting in under a year.

As for the SL i thought that i was sold the wrong kit as the lift was very minimal and not what was advertised on ironmans site or on here, after checking and double checking i do have the same kit as others have, at first i thought it was just mine but others have now posted that suspension spacers have been added to give the true lift stated from ironman themselves.
not sure what other kits are out there to be honest but i would bet that they all have good points and bad so i guess it would come down to cost again and ironman have that one sorted
Mine are rusty as well :!: But to be fair, it's an off-roader and so does it realy matter :?: :? You've got me all worried now that I should be painting them :think: :shifty: ;) :lol: :D Nah :p Not a chance of it :lol:

Interesting what you say about the lift though :!: As everyone talks of the Ironman 2" (50mm) suspension lift for the Collie :? But as you say Ironman don't sell such a thing as they report it as giving a 40mm lift (I now see on the IM web site that they are saying 45mm :?: :!: :? :roll: ). After I'd fitted mine I infact achieved about a 50mm lift all around, but my original suspension (springs) were fcuked :!: So much so that she would go hard down on her bump stops when loaded for a days laning :!: Overall I'm very pleased with my Ironman Lift, its been good value & enabled me to fit +33" tyres with no rubbing, performs well both on & off road :D

sae70 said:
Photo of Fiery before the lift :)
P8080102-1.jpg

Photos of Fiery after the lift :)
PA220682.jpg

Oh & here's the measurements :) Now bear in mind that these were taken over two seperate days using my block paving as the flat level surface :roll: :D So not to British Standard then :lol:

NSF plus 44mm, OSF plus 58mm, NSR plus 53mm, OSR plus 62mm, centre front plus 52mm & centre rear plus 47mm :thumbup:

Looks as though ignoring block paving errors shes gone up about 50mm all round :D
If you think that paying another £400 for OME to get a better paint finish is good value, then knock yourself out :D

The only thing that I'm seriousely considering is a set of 'C' rated springs for the rear of mine, but I can live with the 'B''s that are fitted :) Lets face it they've done a good couple of thousand miles so far - Wales, Hereford, Lincomb, Bures Pit, Essex Off road & plenty of local lanes :D

£500 seems realy good value to me compared to what it cost me to lift my Vitara enough to fit 31" tyres (£1400) :!:

Hope this helps you make your mind up :D :thumbup:

sae70 said:
smokyjoe said:

Mine are rusty as well :!: But to be fair, it's an off-roader and so does it realy matter :?: :? You've got me all worried now that I should be painting them :think: :shifty: ;) :lol: :D Nah :p Not a chance of it :lol:

Interesting what you say about the lift though :!: As everyone talks of the Ironman 2" (50mm) suspension lift for the Collie :? But as you say Ironman don't sell such a thing as they report it as giving a 40mm lift (I now see on the IM web site that they are saying 45mm :?: :!: :? :roll: ). After I'd fitted mine I infact achieved about a 50mm lift all around, but my original suspension (springs) were fcuked :!: So much so that she would go hard down on her bump stops when loaded for a days laning :!: Overall I'm very pleased with my Ironman Lift, its been good value & enabled me to fit +33" tyres with no rubbing, performs well both on & off road :D

sae70 said:
Photo of Fiery before the lift :)
P8080102-1.jpg

Photos of Fiery after the lift :)
PA220682.jpg

Oh & here's the measurements :) Now bear in mind that these were taken over two seperate days using my block paving as the flat level surface :roll: :D So not to British Standard then :lol:

NSF plus 44mm, OSF plus 58mm, NSR plus 53mm, OSR plus 62mm, centre front plus 52mm & centre rear plus 47mm :thumbup:

Looks as though ignoring block paving errors shes gone up about 50mm all round :D
If you think that paying another £400 for OME to get a better paint finish is good value, then knock yourself out :D

The only thing that I'm seriousely considering is a set of 'C' rated springs for the rear of mine, but I can live with the 'B''s that are fitted :) Lets face it they've done a good couple of thousand miles so far - Wales, Hereford, Lincomb, Bures Pit, Essex Off road & plenty of local lanes :D

£500 seems realy good value to me compared to what it cost me to lift my Vitara enough to fit 31" tyres (£1400) :!:

Hope this helps you make your mind up :D :thumbup:

after all I read about the springs on these things I put some Nissan Patrol (Dobinson's) ones under mine, they were plus 2 inch and I got around 3 to 4, they are still sat bang on even with fridhe and camping gear constantly in the back

Re: Re: Suspensions again...

J66P said:
after all I read about the springs on these things I put some Nissan Patrol (Dobinson's) ones under mine, they were plus 2 inch and I got around 3 to 4, they are still sat bang on even with fridhe and camping gear constantly in the back

What are your cv angles like gary. Chris keeps popping up in these suspension talks and tells us that we cant go more than 2 inches on the front without major modifying work. If your angles are ok have you done anything else to achieve decent cv angles or is everything else standard?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

Yes, I do don't I. Perhaps that's because I have to keep saying it.
It's not just about CV angles. When your top wishbone hits the spring, you can't go any more. IFS is very limited in what you can easily do and at the end of the day if you want real lift then you have to fit bigger rubber, which on a 90 is not that easy to get beyond 33"

It's all a good deal of work and money for very little real return to be honest. You'll never get the clearance that the big trucks do and when you following their ruts, you'll be beached.

CV angles look ok with some of the larger lifts, but that's when the truck is sitting on tarmac. You need to see what they look like when you jack it up as it would be if you dropped the wheel into a hole. The turn the steering, give it some revs and see how long the shaft/joints lasts for.

What is needed to get the most lift, excluding those pesky CVs is a top ball joint drop kit. And as yet, as we have said on many occasions, we've never seen one for a 90. You can get them for some other Toyota vehicles, but no one has so far grabbed one and stuck it on.

I did put some pics up IIRC of the top wishbone hitting the spring. If it does that on max droop then you might be ok. But mine did it sitting on the drive. So I had no travel at all and wasn't even moving.

Chris

I have dropper the front with some other Red springs I cant remeber the name though, it will come back to be

I only changed them due to the lack of droop and stiff ness (they were deisel heavy duty and have a petrol), the spring didnt bind infact it was a fair way from doing so and doesnt do it on full droop with the new ones on. The droop will be worse if you fit external spacers on top of the mount.

The rear works very well, I have remounted the lower mounts a couple of inches higher up so it still runs standard shock lengths, any longer and I will have to mess with the panyard rod mount etc.. so pointless really given how much droop it has anyhow

Back