Ryan Thomson said:
ben said:
why do you need rear quarter panel protection though? :whistle:

Don't even go there... :naughty:

What's this I heard about a Bentley... :obscene-birdiedoublered:

dont know what your talking about mate. :liar:

paulm said:
any plans on making these to order? :D

I would consider making swingout carriers of anyone was interested. I don't think it would be too hard to make up a bracket that would bolt on under the standard bumperettes which would then just require you to cut a hole in the plastic section of the bumper for the spindle to poke out.

If you already have an aftermarket bumper then it's pretty straight forward to weld to.

These any use to you Ryan, they look about the right shape for a ladder :lol: :mrgreen:

IMAG0363.jpg

Ryan Thomson said:
Hey Sharky,

When I get round to making up brackets for the Hi lift jack I'll probably move the wheel in a bit more. At the moment it is sitting about 50mm from the upright on the carrier, so it isn't sitting exactly the way I want it to, though i did make it to accommodate a 35" x 12.5" tyre... :twisted:

I like the idea of that bracket setup. Do you have any other pics of that wheel carrier and bracket, preferably without the wheel one?

Gday Ryan sorry took so long here is pics of my Kaymar brand wheel carrier. I have a couple of other pics but was taking too long too load and I have to go out. I'll put them on later. If there is any other angles you need just let me know.
100_1822.jpg

100_1819.jpg

100_1823.jpg

100_1817.jpg

100_1820.jpg

100_1818.jpg

100_1814.jpg

100_1815.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:clap: Gives me i hope i might one day finish something !!!!!!!

I can tell the Slee Offroad rear bar has been a big influence in your design. I love their rear bar as well and am planning on building one like it as well!! Awesome rear bar, any pics on the final set up?

Hey Task,

Yes the slee setup was the inspiration.

The setup isn't done yet. I'm not happy with the clamp/latch setup. I find it a bit cumbersome. I have come up with a solution in happy with but it needs to be refined. So hopefully in the new year I can finish this thing up once and for all.

I am busting out the big guns on this one...

So I have this latch setup I have designed and am going to make. Went out for quotes to machine shops for the parts and the quotes that came back were insane. I decided to buy a small milling machine instead and figure out how to make the parts myself.

This is the first part I have made, its the bracket that will hold the handle and latch mechanism. I have 8hrs in that one part:wtf:

In hindsight I could have simplified the design to reduce the machining time. But as I am one that tends to get carried away I figure it would be a worth while exercise to convert this little mill to CNC and that way I should, once I figure out how that works, be able to machine the parts a bit more quickly. That way I'll have more time to ponder what to build next.

IMG_0004_zpsrpfo7g8l.jpg

IMG_0005_zpsncfqcivr.jpg

IMG_0006_zpsyp3mhrgx.jpg

IMG_0007_zpslonndmw1.jpg

8 hours. Now you're gettin' it.

Could you make me one Ryan. Got to be worth a fiver at least :lol:

Seriously, nice work there buddy. Very nice. Really makes a difference if you get the speed right. There are tables for material, cutter size and speed of travel. Worth tracking them down.

Neat little mill. But buy some proper cutting fluid. ROCOL or something like that not WD.

Ya, this machining business is under rated. Much respect for your work dude. For a fiver you'd be lucky if I send you a drawing!

I actually didn't use any fluid on that, I find the aliminium cuts better dry with carbide bits....

Alloy machines beautifully. Wait til you get on some steel. Watch the colour of the chips. If they go gold, it's getting hot. Blue it's pretty hot and black, it's burnt.

Looks awesome!
Ive found some guys in QLD who build to spec for 80 series. Going to take a look in the next few days.

Hey Srmnm, Thanks. This is possibly the slowest build on earth! It will be done, one day...

Marvellous bit of engineering. Do you have any measurements and angles esp for the drawing?

Marvellous bit of engineering. Do you have any measurements and angles esp for the drawing?

Hey Andrew,

Thanks. I don't have any drawings for the carrier itself, I pretty much eye balled the lot. Bar the latch, which I have to be honest didn't work out in the end. I did however learn a fair bit about machining and managed to convert the mill to CNC. I have a solution of sorts, but the temp solution has been working for ages now so no real rush to change yet.

If you want any measurements in particular let me know and I can go take a few measurements.

Cheers
Ryan

Back