Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swingout spare wheel carrier build

He probably doesn't need the extra fuel capacity in the UK with fuel stations ever being too far apart. I suspect other, remoter places are less uptight about important rules like these :whistle:

Jeeze, I know my MPG sucks, but it's not that bad that I need Jerry cans in the UK :roll:

Besides the cans are for my rum, honest...

I don't think they are all that fussed about where you carry your fuel in Morocco, or the rest of Africa for that matter.

Well finally found time to get on with my spare wheel carrier. Did the first fitting yesterday. Pretty pleased with how it has turned out so far.
DSC_0793-1.jpg

DSC_0795-3.jpg

DSC_0796-4.jpg

I was feeling creative so decided to add a bit of customisation... ;)

DSC_0798-6.jpg

DSC_0799-7.jpg

DSC_0801-9.jpg

DSC_0811-14.jpg

DSC_0808-12.jpg

DSC_0809-13.jpg

DSC_0805-11.jpg

I need to trim back the horizontal section that the wheel carrier plate is welded to as it's touching the body and the finish um my clamp setup. I have it done roughly but just need to tidy it up. Once it's done though it should be a pretty tight setup and be rattle free.

Ryan Thomson said:
DSC_0805-11.jpg

I need to trim back the horizontal section that the wheel carrier plate is welded to as it's touching the body and the finish um my clamp setup. I have it done roughly but just need to tidy it up. Once it's done though it should be a pretty tight setup and be rattle free.
I would make that a priority, if you accidentally back into something it's bound to give a bit and will make a nasty hole in your rear door :thumbdown: Nice neat job Ryan. :thumbup:

Nice job Ryan and a solid bit of kit but keeping it chrome..........That just don't look right!

John

The Dark Dude

I'll painting it black to match the bumper. Still a few bits to do on it before it's ready for paint.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice work :cool: - wish I had the skill and knowledge to even attempt similar.....

Looking at the design, a couple of questions came to my mind;
1. Is there a reason for having such a large gap between the wheel and the (vertical) carrier arm? - i.e. is it so you can fit a larger tyre in the future?
2. Is there a mechanism to lock the carrier in the open position? Will be handy if you are not on level ground.

Thanks guys.

It's not actually that hard to make, just a matter of practicing with the welder and getting stuck in. Great thing with metal is you can always grind out something if you make a mistake.

I am going to be mounting a high lift jack behind the wheel, hence the space, but to be honest it does sit further out than I envisaged. Once I have the high lift mounted I can always trim the carrier back and reweld the carrier plate.

I will also be putting a gas strut onto it to hold it open and stop it from swinging out too far.

Ryan Thomson said:
DSC_0805-11.jpg

I need to trim back the horizontal section that the wheel carrier plate is welded to as it's touching the body and the finish um my clamp setup.
You obviously weren't paying attention to when I did mine buddy - zigackly the same problem with mine!!! :lol:

Looks great - nice profiles BTW ;)

Gav Peter said:
You obviously weren't paying attention to when I did mine buddy - zigackly the same problem with mine!!! :lol:

I know... :roll:

Gav Peter said:
Looks great - nice profiles BTW ;)

Ya, really happy with the way they turned out, pity the guy I used turned out to be a bit of a punk... :obscene-birdiedoublered:

That looks really good. Loving the personalisation too.

Where did you get the spindles and the latch from? would be good to know.

Just to pick up on a couple of comments from earlier - you won't need more than one jerry can for morocco, there are fuel stations all over, and one is never far away even when you're in the desert. You'll need one though to fill with good fuel when you get there to use as an emergency supply if you get a tank of bad fuel ie you dump the dodgy fuel and then use the fuel in the jerry can to get you to a different fuel station. You also won't need a hi lift jack, there isn't a use for one over there and it's just a load of weight to carry. If you get stuck someone else in your party can always pull you out. Best to keep weight over the back of the rear axle to an absolute minimum over there due to the corrugation. Hope that helps.

Nice job Ryan looks good. just a question why dont you put the wheel closer and make a bracet up to put the jack out side the wheel,so its on a plate and mounts behind the wheel nuts holding it on. I know its a shovel & axe holder but the concept would be the same. I had this on the swing out carrier on my other 80 I had a few years back. Something similar to this.

Cruiser14.jpg

Hey Sharky,

When I get round to making up brackets for the Hi lift jack I'll probably move the wheel in a bit more. At the moment it is sitting about 50mm from the upright on the carrier, so it isn't sitting exactly the way I want it to, though i did make it to accommodate a 35" x 12.5" tyre... :twisted:

I like the idea of that bracket setup. Do you have any other pics of that wheel carrier and bracket, preferably without the wheel one?

No worries I will take my wheel off and get some pics over the next couple of days mate.
Here is Kaymar's website, its mostly replacement bumper pics though.
If you want a look at it new.
http://www.kaymar.com.au/vehicles/toyota/80series.php
I will still get you pics too!

I also have a Kaymar bracket that fits to the side of my roofrack which holds a long handled shovel and a high lift jack.Don't know if you're interested or not but can put some pics of that up too if ya want?

Steve

Just about finished the carrier.

I had to make the bend in the horizontal crossmember a bit tighter to kick out the carrier a bit more as it was knocking against the body. Also put a lick of paint on and sorted the clamp arrangement.

DSC_0707-1.jpg

DSC_0702-1.jpg

DSC_0704-2.jpg

DSC_0705-3.jpg

The white nylon strip is temporary. I have ordered a black strip so it blends in a bit more. The clamp setup has surprisingly positive locking action. When clamped I can't make it move, not even by hanging on it or yanking as hard as I can. So I'm pretty stoked with that. IU just need to get a shoot bolt on there as a backup. I don't want the carrier swinging out by accident if the clamp fails.

Oh also still need to source a small gas strut to stop it from swinging open too far and uncontrolled.

Any suggestions where to buy one?

Next mission is the other swingout. This is going to be a ladder that will be able to have a jerry can holder bolted onto it for when I start doing long trips (Morocco is on the cards for 2013).

This is what I have in mind...
Ladder4.jpg

And some rear quarter panel protection...
RearQuarterProtection-1.jpg

Once all this is done then I'll add a Hi lift carrier bracket to one of the carrier. Not sure which one yet but probably the tyre carrier. I will then look at moving the tyre in a bit so it sits closer to the vertical member. At the moment its about 50mm away, but then I did build it with a 35" x 12.5" :twisted: tyre in mind

looks very smart Ryan! :clap:

why do you need rear quarter panel protection though? :whistle:

Back