Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tank Range and Diesel Teleportation

Sam

Garage
Short Version:
What's the expected range on an '03 LC4?

-----

Long Version (for if you're bored)
I was reading a post from Crispin that suggested he could achieve somewhere in the order of umpty-squillion miles on a tank of fuel in his LC4.
Most of this impressive number achieved after installing a winch and associated bumper lead.

So I decided to perform my own very scientific experiment.

Experiment Parameters:
2003 LC4 - Not yet modified in any way.
Full service history (a lot more than needed due to low mileage)
Low tread - but legal

Experiment
1. Check needle position is at exactly "just above empty"
2. Fill tank to very full
3. Drive as many miles as possible
4. When needle at exactly "just above empty" again, check trip

Result
350 miles.

Result Clarification
THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILES !!!!!

Conclusion
Crispin is clearly teleporting diesel from my tank into his (hope his isn't petrol) ??!!!

So...

1. Cripsin, by what manner of magic are you doing this? :shock: :clap: .. but :hand:
2. Can you please teach me this wizardry? ... I won't tell :shhh:
3. Anyone else think my experiment has yielded a somewhat remarkable result or is it the kind of figure I can expect?

Info:
- The average trip during the experiment was only about 15/20 miles
- The LC wasn't carrying load
- Made a real effort to use the go-faster pedal as little as possible.

Next experiment will be a proper mpg test with a longer drive... but even so... eek!

While I'm here.. can anyone confirm the '03 LC4 is supposed to have an 87 litre tank?

Yes it has an 87 litre tank. I've never got the same mileage Crispin alleges :lol:

With a similar set up but including a roof-rack and roof-top tent on our foray to the Pyrenees and back, at fast French motorway and slow UK motorway speeds, with off-road tracks thrown in, I was getting 12.7 litres per 100km on average. No clue what that is in the archaic measurement everyone else uses. Worst has been about 13.2 litres/100km in a heavy head wind going pretty fast.

I tend to get 375 - 400 miles to a tank I guess?

Sorry - per full up really - I always try to fill up before the orange light illuminates ... So about 70litres per fill?

Lots of variables to consider, Sam ;)
Presumably yours in an auto? Crispin's is a manual - not that it should make too much difference.
What temperature was it when you were driving your short trips? (stands to reason that the LC would use more fuel while warming up from cold)
Were your trips on the flat or up & down hills? Into a head-wind?

Then there are the mechanics - 120s have been known to suffer from sticking brake pistons (among other things), are you sure yours are not sticking?
What tyres are you running and at what pressures?
Are your injectors in A1 condition?

BTW your fuel measurement should be based on how much fuel it took to refill after your measurement period, not based on where you think the gauge was. Other than when full or as the reserve light comes on, I doubt you can accurately estimate the amount of fuel in the tank within 5, maybe 10l, using the gauge.

Finally are you sure Crispin was honest with the performance of his 120, there could be some inaccuracy with his figures... :laughing-rolling:

Thanks chaps.... I of course accept my methods were somewhat lacking in precision :lol:

I can concur Gary, I was working on a 70 litre fill up.

Andrew, my next plan is to employ a slightly more precise technique as you suggest... I was just a little staggered as it appeared I could be coming up a full 100 miles short!

The front callipers were changed just before I took delivery of the LC about 3 months ago - so hopefully not sticking - although something doesn't feel entirely "round" when braking so I think I'll check that out soon.

No real hills to talk of. Standard Dunlop AT20's with pressures... erm... well, not flat :shifty:

Taking into account the short trips and Gary saying he expects not a lot more on longer journeys, I suppose it's my expectations that need adjusting more than injectors!

I suppose if I ran it dry in a straight line I'd be expecting over 400 which makes me feel a bit better.

Gary Stockton said:
No clue what that is in the archaic measurement everyone else uses.
What do you mean archaic, :naughty: our system is the only way, it's the rest of the world that's out of step with US, as Cecil Rhodes once said "Remember at all times you are an Englishman and as such have won first prize in the lottery of life" :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Seeing I was born and bred in Cecil's back yard I'll have to think about that.

Ok - nope, still think its archaic :lol:

And we won't talk about Cecil's proclivities any more either. Bit of a nutter .... Although his back yard is a beautiful part of the world!

Gary Stockton said:
Seeing I was born and bred in Cecil's back yard I'll have to think about that.

Ok - nope, still think its archaic :lol:

And we won't talk about Cecil's proclivities any more either. Bit of a nutter .... Although his back yard is a beautiful part of the world!
Only joking Gary,
happy-018.gif
but his statement is so outrageous I love it
lol-034.gif

I could get from Cheshire to Newcastle, then the ferry to Stavanger, and continue driving to Oslo.
I arrived in Oslo with 510 miles done, got a little lost in places.
The needle was halfway between quarter an red.

About 30 miles / gallon.

This was with the 265 x 70 x 17 BFG AT, pumped up to 38 psi all round.
The miles on the clock back in them days was just 205,000.

I guess you could get 560 from a tank with easy roads, and not too much congestion.

Gra.

Right - so here's my thinking ;)

70 litres is working out (according to my last experiment) to be approx. 350 miles.
70 litres being about right for a safe "empty is nearly here" fill up.

Gary says more like 375-400 miles per 70L but let's work with the worst case here being as my test was very short cold stop-start journeys.

70 litres = 350 miles. That's about 5 miles per litre (350 / 70 = 5)

5 miles x 87 litres tank capacity = 435 miles.

Sooo.. running to dry in average conditions should mean always getting over 400 miles before needing a team of Llamas or some such remote creature to drag you to safety.... how scientific :lol:

I'm guessing you fill up at the same garage as Crispin then Graham? ;)

Hang on... if the average UK litre is currently costing £1.40... and that's 5 miles... :hand: oooooo

The greatest I got, 550, was brim to bone and refilled with 82l iirc. That was with everything standard and driving on the north circ never doing more than 30 - 40. Current consumption with all bits and doing 60 mile round trip most of the way with cruise control at 80, I mean 70, I get 400 ok 410-430 if I'm brave / stupid.
I now fill when the light comes on or soon after which is about 380 to 400 depending on how I drive for the week. When I was young and stupid I would do another 20 mile trip after the light came on.

Tyres were biggest killer, then lift then bumper.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

with cruise control at 80, I mean 70,
:lol:

Thanks Crispin. I just read your numbers starting with 5's, looked at mine starting with 3's and fell over.

Makes me feel a lot better considering I was actually working with 70 litres (doughnut) instead of 87. Add the other 17 at 5 miles each (min) and that's already another 85 miles... getting much closer to yours.

Must say though.... I was kinda hoping you did have some kind of magical elves filling up for you ;)

Considering I used to get about 22 litres / 100km (worst - 33 litres / 100km in the sand dunes in the desert at speed, or fully loaded for 3 weeks in Botswana / Zim :shock: ) from my petrol, chipped, 80 series, the fact that I get down in the low teens currently makes me feel happy :clap: I know it's still expensive motoring - that's why it's not a daily driver - I use the bus or train for that, fortunately :D

PS: That quote from Rhodes is:

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."

Just filled up this morning, brimmed it with 78L and 414 on the clock. The light had been on for about 12 miles.

If I drove a bit better I'm sure I could get more out. :whistle:

One of my best is 7,8l/100 km - this is on hightway with 90 km/h constant speed, with minimum braking and accelerating.
on the other side once I achieved 12,5l/100 with 7 people on board and flat out at some moments. It could get higher but lots of the time I drove within the speed limits.

typically i fill up when the odo says 460 miles.

i'm a sensible driver (60-65 on m way) and usually get 27 - 30 mpg, dependant upon the amount of short runs i do. I always make the effort to drive economically.

driving fully laden,with a roof box, a 2500 mi trip to the alps gave me 28 plus mpg. suprisingly, if i stayed off the peage, where i drove at 70, and drove on a roads the mpg went up to nearer 30, probably because i drove around 50mpg, despite stopping at juntions etc.

I've had a lindop box fitted for a few weeks, and after driving the 120 with the lindop box on maximium (+3) i got 27.9 mpg from a full tank. power and poke was noticably up. :D

i then turned the box to it's default setting (+1) and i've just got 29.97 mpg over 475 miles. the power is up and so is the economy :clap:

I averaged 21mpg over 3,000 miles last summer towing a 2.2 tonne twin axle caravan, the car was fully loaded with 5 passengers and a full roofbox....

I'll be driving Edinburgh to London on Sunday empty, and back again the following weekend with a 1/4 load.

Cooper STTs - pumped to 2.4 bar
Roof rack
Maybe a roof tent
Body lift
Suspension lift
ARB Sahara bar (hopefully)
12000lb winch either mounted or in the truck

I'll take careful measurements to see what I get there and back and let you all know!

Cheers

Good stuff Gary :thumbup:

I'm planning a 3,200 mile trip in June and just trying to get to grips with what to expect. Dont wanna be keeling over mid pyrenees :lol:

Crispin... You say tyres were biggest killer? Because you upped to 75's?

ya, they 265 70 17 and after fitting them I noticed a bit of a drop. It should be better though on a long run though (better gearing?) but in the traffic which I has fighting each day, it was a bit worse.

When I did the trip to Switzerland, coming back I was doing 80-90 and it was drinking like a fish. Managed 330 to a tank in one run. I filled just as the light came on. That was on standard tyres with 4.5 people in the car.
I suspect the autos would be a lot better though with the higher gearing (at 80 I am revving at 3000)

CP

Back