Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

That was a heavy b'stard

Yes, the copper will spring back and yes the pipe does seem ridiculously close to the crown wheel. It would have been a lot easier if the design had the air intake at the other end.

Roger

Hi Roger, I always use etch primer on nearly everything now. It is very slightly acid and etches into ally, steel, fibreglass etc. The secret with the primer and top coat is to only put a thin layer on so that it does not chip easily. Two pack top coat is best and if you want a really chip proof finish use a base colour top coat[not gloss] and then use a lacquer with hardener.....but remember not to leave it in the spray gun.. Frank

Cheers Frank.

I have had a quick look at that two pack paint they used on the Fourth Bridge. It's short molecule structure should mean it soaks into any little crevice, especially as it will be going onto a shot blasted surface. Will report back.

Roger

I knew those old slabs would come in handy one day, she isn't going to be falling off a 2' square pillar of concrete.

I never like working on vehicles on axle stands, and besides they aren't much use without an axle to stand on them :icon-biggrin:
i-nCDGN8q-L.jpg

Just need to clean it up and give it a repaint while it's out.... and before anyone say anything, yes I know the garage doors want painting too :whistle:
i-LgFW7H7-L.jpg

That's as close as I want to get with the copper pipe, the gap actually looks bigger than it is.
i-hLMvZfW-L.jpg

All clear of everything including where the inner flange/bearing support will end up.
i-7hT2BqV-L.jpg

Roger, I handled my newly sandblasted front bumper without gloves on and in the morning it was covered in rusty hand prints. I should have used gloves. I think that pipe looks a bit springy!! Frank

Fall off, no, but I have seen slabs crack under pressure when used like that. However, they've got a good height advantage :dance:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hmmm... there's another thing that I just added to the "To do" list.
Except my rear axle looks worse than that... at first when I saw yours I thought, what's wrong with that!

Last edited:
....I think that pipe looks a bit springy!! Frank
Me too Frank, I do not like the design at all. Apparently it used to be on the other side but ARB had issues with the crown wheel moving enough to compromise the effectiveness of the airbearing seal.

The way it is now that pipe is going to be touching the the crown wheel if the axle bounces enough, which will mean possibly rubbing through the copper pipe :doh:

Fall off, no, but I have seen slabs crack under pressure when used like that. However, they've got a good height advantage :dance:
There is a piece of steel under the tow bar to spread the load.... and believe me, if I heard the slightest cracking sound I would be out from under there like a rat up a drain pipe :icon-biggrin:

Oh I forgot to update this one....

Got the axle back in last Wednesday (5th) and all is well so far.

The only thing I was concerned with was the diff carrier bearing preload, but as she has now done a few miles I guess I must have got it somewhere near as there are no clunks or whines :icon-smile:

I was just thinking that the grass needed cutting ....

C

Back