Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The corona virus thread

We don't often have this many at once!!
All jobs for me to be on with.
20200427_161608.jpg

We have perspex screens that will be fitted to front of house desks, reception etc.
Possibly a couple more staff members coming back mid May. Lots of new protocols In place too.

I think we generally did well with the first wave of the infection, maybe even a little too well with the NHS just about surviving however and this is my fear, wave 2 of the infection is coming and it's going to be more damaging then the first one.
People are already starting to go out for non essential stuff, my wife said today that the maternity ward was back to normal with people using it as an excuse to get out of the house because they are bored of being at home. Okay she didn't say that, that is my interpretation of her telling me about her night at the hospital.
They would rather sit for hours at the hospital waiting to be seen by a doctor then be at home. Most of the patients she saw last night didn't need to come into the hospital.

I hope everyone stays safe and please don't go out unless you really have to. It's going to be a long time before we will be able to return to something resembling normal.

With predictions that the number of cases could well pass 1billion globally and a roughly 2% mortality rate, coronavirus could be worse than the Spanish Flu outbreak with 20 million deaths worldwide. Hopefully modern medical staff and treatment combined with the restrictions we have to go through for a short period of time will mean that we don't see those numbers appear. Yesterdays news from France that 62 000 deaths have been avoided by a month of lockdown would indicate its the right thing to do. Fortunately, (or unfortunately if you believe its all about repressing populations) we will never know how bad things may or may not have been without social distancing and lock downs.

Anyone else remember the good old days? you know before Coronavirus and the days when people posted about Landcruiser stuff on the forum. I've had several potential new members I've told to look a the site get back to me saying its a great site but shame about all the politics

Last edited:
its a myth that goes against the natural order of things or else it would exist in the animal kingdom
well that's driving a Landcruiser out the window then.
Natural ability goes way beyond anything that can be taught or learned so lump any group of people together regardless of the situation and a hierarchy will evolve .
Hierarchies only evolve if we let them or the situation allows it.As for natural ability take a look at the current generation of sports stars , particularly football & motorsport & you'll see lots of sons of former drivers & footballers doing well. I would say that this has a lot more to do with opportunity than ability.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately if you believe its all about repressing populations) we will never know how bad things may or may not have been without social distancing and lock downs.
i thought i'd made my position clear but just to reiterate I've never been against confinement & i think that those who are breaking it are irresponsible.What i'm against here in Spain is the completely arbitrary way that the restrictions have been policed.Moroccos fake news law is a catch all that was rushed through 6 will almost certainly remain on the statute books after the crisis. As for the politics on here you seem to be willing enough to engage.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Again :thumbup:............ GOB's comedian
so that's it ? all you can say about what I've written? you still don't have anything of substance to counter what i've said but don't mind me carry on posting.Maybe with time you might get round to forming some sort of coherent argument.

so which fake news law is that? given how easily some people will believe the crap people post on the internet, its not a bad thing as long it isn't used to prevent freedom of speech from reliable substantiated sources, after all we have all seen how fake news has been used to influence major political decisions in recent years.

Have you thought about joining a political forum where people discuss your views?

With predictions that the number of cases could well pass 1billion globally and a roughly 2% mortality rate, coronavirus could be worse than the Spanish Flu outbreak with 20 million deaths worldwide. Hopefully modern medical staff and treatment combined with the restrictions we have to go through for a short period of time will mean that we don't see those numbers appear. Yesterdays news from France that 62 000 deaths have been avoided by a month of lockdown would indicate its the right thing to do. Fortunately, (or unfortunately if you believe its all about repressing populations) we will never know how bad things may or may not have been without social distancing and lock downs.

Anyone else remember the good old days? you know before Coronavirus and the days when people posted about Landcruiser stuff on the forum. I've had several potential new members I've told to look a the site get back to me saying its a great site but shame about all the politics
:text-goodpost:

Land Cruiser Club, what Land Cruiser Cub, I thought it had become a platform for anarcist rhetoric :smile:

I don't like politicians, but I wouldn't want to hang draw and quarter them, or kill all the rich and well educated, I seem to remember that that has been tried once before, Pol Pot was the leader of an anarcist group called the Khmer Rouge who killed 2 million Cambodians, in the 'Killing Fields'
for no other reason than his anarcist communist beliefs.

so which fake news law is that? given how easily some people will believe the crap people post on the internet, its not a bad thing as long it isn't used to prevent freedom of speech from reliable substantiated sources, after all we have all seen how fake news has been used to influence major political decisions in recent years.

Have you thought about joining a political forum where people discuss your views?
:text-goodpost:

I suggested that a few months ago in a different thread, in fact there is a fourm dedicated to Politics and Religion in this club where Anarchist could go and argue with them selves. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we generally did well with the first wave of the infection, maybe even a little too well with the NHS just about surviving however and this is my fear, wave 2 of the infection is coming and it's going to be more damaging then the first one.
People are already starting to go out for non essential stuff, my wife said today that the maternity ward was back to normal with people using it as an excuse to get out of the house because they are bored of being at home. Okay she didn't say that, that is my interpretation of her telling me about her night at the hospital.
They would rather sit for hours at the hospital waiting to be seen by a doctor then be at home. Most of the patients she saw last night didn't need to come into the hospital.

I hope everyone stays safe and please don't go out unless you really have to. It's going to be a long time before we will be able to return to something resembling normal.
:text-goodpost: :clap::clap:

I'm not replying to any particular post, just giving my thoughts on the matter.
This wasn't handled well from the outset in my opinion. We had a dry run conducted in 2016 and a risk assessment conducted 2 years ago, both showed gaping holes in our ability to respond. This isn't unprecedented, we had SARS, MERS, Swine and bird flu and we know this was reasonably forseeable.
Now the response was fudged because the primary objective was to protect the economy. We had the Cheltenham festival and 3000 Spaniards running round Liverpool a complete farce. Herd immunity was a decision that was taken at the highest levels and this has cost us dearly.
Now moving onto the current campaign of deflection and distraction. The HSE had classed the virus at a certain level which would mean the minimum PPE requirement would be mask visor etc etc, the government downgraded this to avoid exposing their incompetence or apathy.
They now just release soundbites about a billion units of PPE being delivered and in the counting they consider paper towels to be part of that billion and count gloves individually.
The lapdog media posts on a Saturday that "cases are down and we've passed the worst" when we know the figures haven't come in for the weekend.
They have tried to hide the actual death toll by saying that they need family consent to collate the figures but the ONS say they can anonymize them and publish the truth. This government is a slick PR machine make no mistake.
This will just be another pointless enquiry and the usual "lessons have been learned" and that sort of bullshit.

"To Fight fake news in Morocco, government council approved law 22-20"
So more repression is the answer to all problems? reliable sources like HRW & Amnesty International say that Morocco is an authoritarian regime with a poor human rights record.Judges are appointed by the King.Now call me a stickler for principals if you like but without a independent judiciary you've got no
chance of a fair trail.
"Have you thought about joining a political forum where people discuss your views? "
have you? You are quite happy to defend an autocratic regime with a piss poor human rights record but maybe you're not discussing your views?

Last edited:
I don't like politicians, but I wouldn't want to hang draw and quarter them, or kill all the rich and well educated, I seem to remember that that has been tried once before, Pol Pot was the leader of an anarcist group called the Khmer Rouge who killed 2 million Cambodians, in the 'Killing Fields'
for no other reason than his anarcist communist beliefs.
so once you've finished with the ad honenim attacks you make a strawman attack? your'e really not very good at this debate thing are you.
If you dont't know the difference between authoritarian Marxist Leninist communism & anarchy i can only think that it's wilful ignorance or that you can't grasp a simple concept.
As for Pol Pot you've got me there i must admit i didn't know that the USA was Anarchist in the 70s
"The U.S. permitted Thailand to allow the Khmer Rouge to use bases in Thailand to wage a war of insurrection against the government in Phnom Penh that had been installed by Vietnam.[20] Elizabeth Becker reported that U.S. National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski claimed that he "concocted the idea of persuading Thailand to cooperate fully with China to in efforts to rebuild the Khmer Rouge."
"Singaporean diplomat Bilahari Kausikan, recalled: "ASEAN wanted elections but the U.S. supported the return of a genocidal regime"
And there's more if you care to look , well documented from reliable sources .
Calling for a Police crackdown on confinement breakers isn't politics is it? You and Mark W are quite happy to air your views here as long as nobody challenges them but if I decide to voice my opinion you try to shut down the debate with calls for an end to political discussions or ad homenim/strawman attacks.

There are no winners in this pandemic only losers coulda woulda shoulda serves no purpose when globally governments were caught with their pants down and rhetoric is the only weapon in their arsenal to give EVERYONE a fighting chance .

When a plane is going down the captain says please take up the brace position for safety , what he actually means is put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye because there is a slight chance what remains of you might later be identified by your dental records , but who wants to hear that ?

Needs must when the devil drives

So far morocco has 4000 cases, 200 deaths, how's Spain doing? or the UK,USA etc. Morocco's decisive implementation of travel restrictions and enforcement of them is doing better that the more relaxed approach in the UK. Along with travel restrictions etc implemented early they safe guarded a supply of PPE and medicines produced in country by banning the export, set fixed price for face masks and also for hand sanitizer to avoid exploitation by people raising the prices and to ensure a population with low incomes can afford to purchase them

Nothing it that report has any bearing on the current enforcement of the State of Emergency here, theres been no blame on people breaching the rules spreading the virus or any increase in repression of the population.

Time will tell if its been successful or not but the Government here is already planning what happens after the restrictions while the UK Government hasn't even thought about it.
You know, some would say that Morocco was a 3rd worldish country, but they have got their heads screwed on and were ahead of the game when it comes to this virus, not like most of the 'free world' European countries that seem to 'have droped the ball' Spain, France, UK for example.

So, there is a lot to be said, (again as some would say) for controlling the people (or as some would say repressing the people)

Strictly enforcing a Lockdown is the only way to stop spreading and not having a second wave of mass deaths, if that means curtailing some 'human rights' for a while for the good of the many, then so be it.

Every other question from the news reporters on the 'Daily Breffing' is "when will this lockdown end" well that is such a stupid question imo, if the government bow to the pressure then there will be a second wave, and who will get the blame, not the Coviditos for sure.

Just look at Spain for example, 25,000 deaths as opposed to only 168 in Morocco, and then look a the population (I know this is not an exact comparison) Morocco 34,314,130, Spain 49,331,076 as of 2018, it's way out of proportion, so who has done the right thing for their people? The so called repressive state, or the so called western civilised liberal progressive state that has left their people begging for 'hand outs'?

I think it speaks for it's self, more state control, is the way forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm suffering wonderfully here in a 3 bedroom house with front and back garden , central heating , netflix , fibre internet blah blah blah , however remembering living in a 6x12ft room on the 6th floor with a bathroom shared with the occupants of 7 other similar rooms i'm quite sure my attitude towards lock down would be very different back then .

"They are very self-sufficient folk, very resilient, resourceful and hard-working. Their last resort is to come to us"

An extract from here only because i read it earlier Scottish fishermen turn to food banks as Covid-19 devastates industry - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

I am very aware that many are living in far worse circumstances than fishermen or indeed anyone on this forum .

My 82 year old mate seems happy enough on the phone even if he and i both know he is probably in his final year and we may not meet again , but he's an old farmer so stiff upper lip and all that he only cries when he's drunk and only in front of me but what will be will be because lock down is only a minor inconvenience ...................... for some people .

I'm suffering wonderfully here in a 3 bedroom house with front and back garden , central heating , netflix , fibre internet blah blah blah , however remembering living in a 6x12ft room on the 6th floor with a bathroom shared with the occupants of 7 other similar rooms i'm quite sure my attitude towards lock down would be very different back then .

"They are very self-sufficient folk, very resilient, resourceful and hard-working. Their last resort is to come to us"

An extract from here only because i read it earlier Scottish fishermen turn to food banks as Covid-19 devastates industry - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

I am very aware that many are living in far worse circumstances than fishermen or indeed anyone on this forum .

My 82 year old mate seems happy enough on the phone even if he and i both know he is probably in his final year and we may not meet again , but he's an old farmer so stiff upper lip and all that he only cries when he's drunk and only in front of me but what will be will be because lock down is only a minor inconvenience ...................... for some people .
Yep, whether you are in a 4 bed detached or a one bedroom flat, every one should play their part in this and act responsibly, by heeding warnings now, unlike the government before the start.
Odd, when previously most were glued to their phones for communication, all of a sudden their not content with that form of contact, and want to go visiting in person instead. FFS !

I lived in the box room of a 'Bed Sit' for four years, granted it was only on the second floor and I only had to share the bathroom with 5 other strangers, I had to pay extra for heating, so I didn't have it as bad as you.

I was a rebellious anti establishment 19 year old at the time, I only thought of one thing, I didn't have enough blood to run my brain and my cock at the same time, so, the last thing I wanted to do was stay in, I agree with you, I would have had a very different attitude towards 'lockdown'. But if I were told by a higher more knowledgeable authority that there was somthing outside my door that was just waiting to kill me, or it might just play 'Russian Roulette' with me, just to tease me, then my attitude would have been very different, I can assure you.

We are all in this together rich or poor left or right or on the fence, there are always going to be winners and loosers, you just have to hope your not a looser, and you can limit becoming a looser by following the rules, the rules are there to be followed, if not there will be anarchy on the streets and a lot, a lot more dead, you are dead for a very long time, the more that follow the rules the sooner this will be over, then the blame game can really start.

Back