Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The corona virus thread

Goodoldboy said "you're on the way to becoming famous on the internet but not for reasons that you would like".

Matey, I'm already famous on the interweb, for showing you up for the fraud you are, I like the fact you read my posts, can you point out where I'm famous on interweb, and tell me the reasons that I would not like, or is that just a veiled threat, come on your always motor mouthing back up your statements. :smile:
Come on, you know he won't do research for you.

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs all round, and the fishing industry is one of the hardest working, I am a big fan of 'Deadliest Catch' on Discovery.
You've got to admire those boys and the hardships they go through (health and saftey, not) in the best of times let alone in these desperate times, a lot of 'hand outs' all over the world.

It's almost like a third world war, when you think about it, except fighting with an unseen enemy, and one hand tied behind our backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right this has gone on long enough. This forum was founded on respect and the common interest of Landcruisers. It is not a personal space for a few individuals to conduct verbal punch-ups. This thread was originally about the virus, its effects and discussions about the thousands of lives lost to it.

It has become a slanging match between a few individuals who really need to resolve their differences and in reality it is now well off subject.

As moderators we play a very light hand, typically because people have always behaved and shown restraint. In this case it seems that you can’t behave with mutual respect and debate matters in an adult fashion. Added to which the points that you are making are of no benefit to the forum or its wider audience.

Therefore, this is the one and only warning you are going to get before you see what a dictatorship looks like.

One more exchange in the manner that has been seen more recently and this thread will be locked. End of story, no discussion.

If you want to debate serious points then do so. If you want to try and score points against each other then take it somewhere else.

I hope that is abundantly clear. If not, then trust me it soon will be.

Right this has gone on long enough. This forum was founded on respect and the common interest of Landcruisers. It is not a personal space for a few individuals to conduct verbal punch-ups. This thread was originally about the virus, its effects and discussions about the thousands of lives lost to it.

It has become a slanging match between a few individuals who really need to resolve their differences and in reality it is now well off subject.

As moderators we play a very light hand, typically because people have always behaved and shown restraint. In this case it seems that you can’t behave with mutual respect and debate matters in an adult fashion. Added to which the points that you are making are of no benefit to the forum or its wider audience.

Therefore, this is the one and only warning you are going to get before you see what a dictatorship looks like.

One more exchange in the manner that has been seen more recently and this thread will be locked. End of story, no discussion.

If you want to debate serious points then do so. If you want to try and score points against each other then take it somewhere else.

I hope that is abundantly clear. If not, then trust me it soon will be.
:text-goodpost:

Very clear, thanks.

Anyway, going back to the original post number 1, I still don't know anybody who has got or had this virus, so, so far it hasn't affected me in anyway, touch wood (touching my head) apart from carrying out all the advisories.

Stay Safe all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Anyway, going back to the original post number 1, I still don't know anybody who has got or had this virus, so, so far it hasn't affected me in anyway, touch wood (touching my head) apart from carrying out all the advisories.

Stay Safe all.
No, can't say it's affected me much either. The only thing that gets on my thruppnies is the herd mentality of others coming alongside in shops still. My wife has depleted immune system, and while not on the high risk register, even a bad cold/flue could see her in hospital, as advised by doctor, and she doesn't want to be there at any time. We have heeded the government's advice where possible, staying in, except for the odd walk, well away from everyone else. Unfortunately we have only been able to get the odd shopping delivery slot, so I have to go for that and medication. I am quite happy working on cruiser, and she is pottering in garden now everything is growing again. Stay safe all.

I have to say that I go out very little. I could of course, but we've been asked not to, so I don't. However, when I do, there are times when this distancing is very hard to maintain. We all stand in a line outside Morrisons, 2m apart and are let in one at a time. Within a very short space of time all of that goes for a ball of chalk. People stop to look at the veg. They pull up to read their shopping list or answer their phone. I've been in an aisle waiting for someone to decide what soup they want and people have then overtaken me because they want to get to the beans and gherkins.

But in all of this, you have to remember that this virus isn't primarily spread from person to person by air. It's mostly spread from person to surface and then surface to person; according to the people we're supposed to be listening to. Yes of course it CAN be spread directly, but it's less likely that way in a social setting like shopping. So distancing is good and right, but nipping past someone to get to the Camembert isn't really a huge issue. Invading your breathing space certainly could be as has happened to me whilst mulling over my German beer selection. I watch people and clearly there are some who have got it, some who are really trying very hard to remember and there the are the Homer Simpsons of this world whose focus is that of a goldfish.

Distancing is only part of the strategy; hygiene is another. But they all need to work together along with discipline. That's the bit that I can see weakening especially with the media constantly raising the subject of relaxing measures. The question is, will that lead to a second wave and that's something that at the moment I'm not seeing answered. If the answer is no, then why not? If the answer is yes, then why would we consider any change from what we're doing now. If we stay as we are then what is it exactly that we're waiting for? I guess the answer to that one is a vaccine.

Personally I'm prepared to go along with this as long as it takes. But I am in a position where I'm relatively OK. Netflix, gin and chocolate Hobnobs and I can make it to Christmas. But there a great many who simply cannot. I am a bit suspicious of why we're not seeing how people are coping in places like Delhi or the shanty towns in South Africa where population density is far greater than ours.

I guess what I am saying is that I think that a lot of what is being said could well be (I say could and not IS) giving people false hope. Remember in the Great War when they said, It'll be over by Christmas? Frankly I'm just glad that I'm not in charge having to decide what to actually do. It can't be easy.

Woman from 4 doors down caught it in hospital and will never come home again , Helen was still at work when one of the girls was taken into hospital with the virus and there was some drama because the husband vanished into hiding and nobody could find him , no news since . And spacemen took a neighbour of our daughters away in an ambulance so likely 2 victims in a half mile radius and probably 4 in a 10 mile radius .

I'm with you on that Chris to invade personal space has become very much a no no but what i repeatedly tell the kids and Helen when they go shopping is don't touch your face , there's hand wash in the car so all you have to remember is don't touch your face .

Last edited:
My folks' village has had 2 cases (caught from an Elvis tribute act a local pub...) and the Out Laws now have the drama that there has been a case at the care home that the MiL works in (luckily only 1 day/week, and on night shift)

BUT given that MiL is the only one under 70 out of all of those, it's all a bit close when you are in Australia and they are in the UK...

However, here we have a $1000 (£500) fine for un-necessary travel or breaking social distancing rules, 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel when you arrive (and only permanent residents and citizens allowed in) and limited interstate travel.

A lot of our cases came off of the cruise ships, but they are slowing now, now the big rises are in nursing homes where they just seem unable to get on top of things.

From today, in NSW, we can now visit someone else in their house (as long as it's only 2x adult visitors + any ankle biters they have), but we can't have more than 2x people from different households together outside (yeah... makes perfect sense... but I think that's aimed at the City folk who all flocked to the beach...)

I have to say that I go out very little. I could of course, but we've been asked not to, so I don't. However, when I do, there are times when this distancing is very hard to maintain. We all stand in a line outside Morrisons, 2m apart and are let in one at a time. Within a very short space of time all of that goes for a ball of chalk. People stop to look at the veg. They pull up to read their shopping list or answer their phone. I've been in an aisle waiting for someone to decide what soup they want and people have then overtaken me because they want to get to the beans and gherkins.

But in all of this, you have to remember that this virus isn't primarily spread from person to person by air. It's mostly spread from person to surface and then surface to person; according to the people we're supposed to be listening to. Yes of course it CAN be spread directly, but it's less likely that way in a social setting like shopping. So distancing is good and right, but nipping past someone to get to the Camembert isn't really a huge issue. Invading your breathing space certainly could be as has happened to me whilst mulling over my German beer selection. I watch people and clearly there are some who have got it, some who are really trying very hard to remember and there the are the Homer Simpsons of this world whose focus is that of a goldfish.

Distancing is only part of the strategy; hygiene is another. But they all need to work together along with discipline. That's the bit that I can see weakening especially with the media constantly raising the subject of relaxing measures. The question is, will that lead to a second wave and that's something that at the moment I'm not seeing answered. If the answer is no, then why not? If the answer is yes, then why would we consider any change from what we're doing now. If we stay as we are then what is it exactly that we're waiting for? I guess the answer to that one is a vaccine.

Personally I'm prepared to go along with this as long as it takes. But I am in a position where I'm relatively OK. Netflix, gin and chocolate Hobnobs and I can make it to Christmas. But there a great many who simply cannot. I am a bit suspicious of why we're not seeing how people are coping in places like Delhi or the shanty towns in South Africa where population density is far greater than ours.

I guess what I am saying is that I think that a lot of what is being said could well be (I say could and not IS) giving people false hope. Remember in the Great War when they said, It'll be over by Christmas? Frankly I'm just glad that I'm not in charge having to decide what to actually do. It can't be easy.
Now we know why theres a shortage of chocolat Hobnobs.

My folks' village has had 2 cases (caught from an Elvis tribute act a local pub...) and the Out Laws now have the drama that there has been a case at the care home that the MiL works in (luckily only 1 day/week, and on night shift)

BUT given that MiL is the only one under 70 out of all of those, it's all a bit close when you are in Australia and they are in the UK...

However, here we have a $1000 (£500) fine for un-necessary travel or breaking social distancing rules, 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel when you arrive (and only permanent residents and citizens allowed in) and limited interstate travel.

A lot of our cases came off of the cruise ships, but they are slowing now, now the big rises are in nursing homes where they just seem unable to get on top of things.

From today, in NSW, we can now visit someone else in their house (as long as it's only 2x adult visitors + any ankle biters they have), but we can't have more than 2x people from different households together outside (yeah... makes perfect sense... but I think that's aimed at the City folk who all flocked to the beach...)

:text-goodpost:

We had severe winds the last couple of days, 70mph yesterday, so hot and dusty living in the cruiser. Now we have a heat wave coming so expecting 30 degrees over the week. Although to be honest it doesn't bother me until it gets over 35 (this time last year I was in the Western Sahara with 40+ temps)

Morocco has stated the lockdown will end on the 20th and are developing plans for a staged reopening of the travel restrictions. They've also been getting a lot of praise from other countries for how well they've managed the situation so far.

Couple of people here have managed to get ferry bookings arranged to France and Italy in a few weeks so things are looking a bit more positive. I've just been hounding my MP and the Embassy for updates.

Beer supply is looking good for the next few weeks as well and we've not had a party for 3 days so its about time for another one :D

We had severe winds the last couple of days, 70mph yesterday, so hot and dusty living in the cruiser. Now we have a heat wave coming so expecting 30 degrees over the week. Although to be honest it doesn't bother me until it gets over 35 (this time last year I was in the Western Sahara with 40+ temps)

Morocco has stated the lockdown will end on the 20th and are developing plans for a staged reopening of the travel restrictions. They've also been getting a lot of praise from other countries for how well they've managed the situation so far.

Couple of people here have managed to get ferry bookings arranged to France and Italy in a few weeks so things are looking a bit more positive. I've just been hounding my MP and the Embassy for updates.

Beer supply is looking good for the next few weeks as well and we've not had a party for 3 days so its about time for another one :D
Are you aloud alcohol in Muslim country? Wind and sand can't be good for the Cruiser, I remember the scene in (I think) the Cannon Ball Run where the Rolls Royce got sand blasted in the desert with strong winds, no paint left on it whatsoever.

Back