Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thermal Window Screens

Scott

Last year I bought a set of thermal screens for the windscreen and front door windows on my 80, they were made by Automarineimprovement: http://automarineimprovement.co.uk/...le-specific-products-land-rover/#.U5td2FzIrfY The Toyota screens are not shown on their website yet, but they do have a set of templates for the screens that I have bought.

As they make the screens they can make them for any vehicle, they give a guide on how to template you windows so that they can produce the screens for your vehicle. http://automarineimprovement.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/130922_Catalogue_download.pdf

The thermal screens are made up of many different layers:
Outer layer 90 micron aluminised film, 3 plus with reinforcing mesh, to block out 90% of UVA and reflect cold.
2 layers of polyethylene foam.
2 layers of 12 micron aluminised film.
1 layer anti-allergic polyester fibre insulation.
Inner layer of wipe clean anti-condensate PVC / nylon fabric.

I was looking for quality screens that would keep the inside of the 80 cool, and help reduce the work that the fridge has to do, I'm pleased to say that they are worth every penny and are living up to the sales pitch. With this in mind I am happy to recommend them to anyone looking for this product for their Land Cruiser.

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

A nice idea that Scott. We're topping 30 degrees and still rising here.

One question, where do you stow them when not in use? :think:

I kept the plastic packaging that they came in, so fold them and slide them back in. Then I store them in the back of the 80, wherever is appropriate. I don't have any bespoke storage area, if you had a luggage net strung up to make use of the headspace in the boot area, that would be the ideal space to store them.

How much were they - my truck is parked up at the moment and could do with something to keep the sun off etc.

Any part numbers ?

Any ideas where I could find something like this for the 100 series without spending a small fortune?

Auto Marine Improvement seems to have shut up shop.

Anyone made their own thermal blinds or modified an existing set for a different make and model?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi

This guy has his own solution, that you might like.

I have done most of my windows using the Black Correx Sheet, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074SY1X5R/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Its stiff enough to hold itself in, but not to stiff to pop it in and out.

Its been great for protecting the rear side windows and Rear door glass. I also have cut outs for doors. Not done the front window. I think its going to be to big, so I need another solution maybe.

The reason I want these is to blank out the windows on the driver side when on a camp site and I'm using the foxwing to camp under, to stop people being able to look in and through.

G.

I made some by cutting window templates from thick cardboard and sticking on some cooking foil. They look cheap (cost nothing really) and work great. Downside is they don’t fold up easily but I only made them as the truck isn’t a daily driver and sits on the drive 4-5 days a week. I just chuck them in the back when I use it. With no screening the temp was well over 60 deg C inside during the heatwave last summer which can’t do the leather any favours.

Saw these a while back.
Skip to 1:30
Guess there may be reflective versions too?

You can get a sort of silver foil quilted bubble wrap. That would be perfect. I have Scotts original screens now and they're still good. They are reversible in fact so they're reflective on one side and warm material on the other. They really do keep the inside cool in the sun and with black rear glass, make it impossible to see into the vehicle.

https://www.toolstation.com/ybs-gen...3bTIoXDMJwHTR70AWW1zCPH-weSJaycYaApNmEALw_wcB

For our first ever AO show I got Halfords windscreen blinds and cut them to fit. They were ok and screened pretty well. Basic though.

The bubble stuff is ok but it hasn’t got a very high U value. If some were made up with a second layer of ‘multilayer’ insulation they would be excellent.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I started out thinking I could just cannibalise a used set of van blinds or rework some VW ones. Problem is there’s not many around and even second hand they can be quite expensive.

I’ll have a look at DIY kits today but given the cost of proper materials I wonder if it’s worth having a stab at it.

I found a firm in Bradford (whatever you need, there’s always a firm in Bradford) that will do a 3-piece custom set for £90 - that seems pretty good.

You could borrow mine at a push Jacob

Cheers Chris.

If I end up going to Bradford I can always bring yours along if any 80 owners are interesting in getting some made up. It won’t be this month.

I've got a set of paragon external silver screens for a ducato motorhome that I use on my 120, they're a tiny bit too big, but work fine. I use them for frost protection.

I'm betting that with a bit of digging you could find van screens that are a passable fit.

Last edited:
That's a very nice truck that Scott has them fitted to!

We've got screens on our motorhome but they are external ones. There are pro's and con's of both and whilst external ones are exposed to the elements and will get wet if it rains, internal ones get nearly as wet even if it doesn't rain due to condensation if you are sleeping / living in the vehicle. There is no condensation with the external screens.

We got ours from the following:

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

Back