Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

thinking of buying another Cruiser......100 v8

Gary Mead

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi all ,after selling my beloved 80 Series 18 months or so ago. Im in need of a Tow car again but also need to do a 60 mile commute, so was thinking of a 100 on gas
Need to tow up to the 3500k. So any owners running gas and or towing that can advise would be great.
also anybody had a Tacho installed in a 100 ? as i will need one of these too.

thanks Gary

Hey Gary, nice to see you back dude. Go for the V8 anyday man. I bought Jon's a while back & its our family hauler now. Love it :)

Yep I have the V8, its so smooth, the Autobox is quick at responding.

I only drive very short distances ( about 50 miles a week max) still seem to get through a tank a week though, cant work out the maths there, LOL ! I must be doing more miles than I think I am !

I have a v8 with LPG. I do 72 miles a day. Check out the ahc as this has been problematic for me.
Also mine runs a bit lumpy as though it hunting but it seems to be a common problem. Get a flash lube system. But one of the best things I have owned

what sort of money does it cost you a week/ month to do that sort of mileage on gas ????
Yes im aware of the ahc problems but would probably look to upgrade for towing anyway..
cheers

I have a late '52 4.7 which has had a gas conversion almost since it was new (with a lube system) and I'm on 170K with no apparent problems. I bought it from a farmer who didn't drive it without a trailer on!
I've had it 2 years and I only travel about 10 mile a day which isn't ideal for LPG as it takes about a mile & half before it switches over :icon-exclaim: so I still use quite a bit of petrol, but I've averaged the equivalent of 22 MPG (12 MPG actual) over 13.000 miles (including petrol & LPG) which is still slightly better than my old 4.2 diesel 80 :clap:

I occasionally tow a 25 ft twin axle caravan & you can't tell its behind - the 5 speed box is excellent - I would think you would get the equivalent of 30 MPG easily on a run., but it does depend what you pay for the LPG!

cheers
Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
V8 with a Prinns Multipoint/Flashlube LPG conversion and kiss your troubles goodbye. Had mine for over three years now and apart from the dashboard warning lights (view separate thread) my truck has been nigh on perfect. To date, this has been the best car that I have ever owned. Period! And for those of us with AHC problem, don't been ripped off at Mr T or rip out the old suspension globes for OME springs and struts. Visit these guys: https://sites.google.com/site/pleiadessuspensionspheres/home

We had originally brought the car for my wife as her main transport to hospital of which it proved to be a real winner at riding those many sleeping policemen lying in wait to the Royal Free. The AHC was just so good. Even better, because I could lower the car, Shaz could get in and out of her cockpit without much assistance. When the time came that Sharon was admitted to the hospice, we refused the ambulance and made our own way for one last journey with Hanna leading the way. Words cannot describe how much I love my LC100.

Last edited:
Get a V8. Best tow car I have ever had. Went to France this year and got 175 miles from a full LPG tank towing a 1700 kg twin axle caravan at 60mph. I have had a stainless steel complete exhaust system fitted which means I get about 173 miles per LPG fill up, which costs £54, which is all in town driving. When not towing and on the motorway I have seen 240 miles per fill of LPG at 70-80mph. Great truck.

paul c

With my 4.2 diesel I just returned from 3 weeks in France towing a 2.3 tonne caravan, carried 5 x adults plus a roof box. I did 2,300 miles and averaged 21.4 mpg, I'm happy with those figures.....

Back