Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This 4x4 bug

Trevor

Country Flag
england
Decided to post here as it didn't really constitute a "proper" trip.

So I have an LC4, the only mod is a set of Grabbers and decided to go to the 4x4 place at Avon Dassett this weekend. Being new to the whole thing I figured this was the next step to seeing what my Crusier can do.

I arrive and am complety surrounded by Landrovers in all shapes and sizes, Range Rovers and the odd Suzuki and a Surf. I had spoken to the owner who advised that I should really stick to some of the tamer areas if I didn't want to lose bumpers, mud flaps and steps.

Wise words when you look at the ground clearance needed and the IFS on the Cruiser seems to reduce this by quite a bit, anyway popped it into low range and went and had a play for 2 or 3 hours. Even the wife enjoyed having a drive but felt a little intimidated by the stares and pointing by some (I was expecting some ribbing turning up in a shiny unmodified "anything other than a Landrover") but it seemed in good spirit.

The problem here is that you start to get a taste of what this beast can do, where the Surf struggled we sailed on through and I really wanted to get stuck into the rougher, muddier terrain and attempt a climb or 2.

Common sense prevailed as I don't have any decent under body protection but now the list forms:-

Underbody protection
Remove steps and mudflaps
Get sliders from somewhere
replace both bumpers (ARB?) and change tow bar configuration
2" suspension lift and then fit taller tyres
winch
Snorkel

I was warned by some on this forum that the bug would bite, it has.

Oh where to start and the the cost. Would really love to go again after mods and give a good account of the Yota amid all that Landrover green and testosterone.

Trev

I know the Avon Dassett site really well as i used to live a mile up the road.
It is a strange one and always damages vehicles in one way or another as there is so much hidden debris under the surface as it was an old quarry, Ross does normally warn people off in shinys as to the risks but it can still have some good technical parts.
Quite a small site too, maybe an extended green lane trip to stretch its legs before buying too much stuff for it.

Oh dear.... it's a slippery slope....

Talk to Crispin, Gary or Graham as they have all modified their 120's to varying degrees. One thing I will agree with you though is for all the ribbing 120's get, they are still very capable vehicles :clap:

It's a slippery slope ;)

I would not remove the sidesteps until you have sliders. Rather keep them as sacrificial protection for now. Mine are pretty screwed (including a snapped mount) but the body and sills are still ok because of them. Sliders are on the list, I intend to speak to Greg when I get my new suspension (Soon please!)

As for being laughed at because you in a shiny 120, fear not. It surprises you every time. It is by no means a soft-roader and with the electricery, it'll go a lot of places.

As for bumpers - when you find a cheap option, do let us know. So far ARB is on my drool list but the price.... :(

Hi Trevor,

Sure the 120's look shiny, and they are.
Sure they are tough, and they are.
Will they do the business when the going gets tough, ? I am sure they will surprise many 'a folk.
I think what you should first invest in is a roll of industrial cling film.
Just to keep the 'shiny, nice and shiny.
This time of the year, much of the lanes growth is dying back, so less scratches, but, in the summer, some lanes can be scratching.

So, whats first on your list ?
A 50 mm Iron mun lift, ?
second, ? a good set of tyres ?

ha, ha, then snorkel I hear you say. ?

Join the boat.

NN-DSC00262.jpg

Play tyres,
DSC00264.jpg

Road tyres
STP81551.jpg

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A decent day laning trip appeals, so few round where I live. Don't suppose there is any chance of tagging along with someone on a trip soon? Bearing in mind no Snorkel, winch or beefed up recovery points.

Looking for a challenging but non destructive trip out, wouldn't mind a bit of a wade as well.

I would also like to get a first hand look at some of the modded 120's in the flesh Crispin, Gary, Graham?

I wouldn't worry to much about a snorkel just yet. We all fit them, but I would make that the last of your spend. The Cruiser can wade pretty deep before getting into trouble. OK I wouldn't do the Corwen Carwash in full spate, but you are unlikely to be faced with that just now. Taller tyres and lifts all add to the wading ability too.

Bash plates and tyres are a really good place to start. I had a 120 and I can confirm that they are a most capable vehicle but a little vulnerable underneath without proper protection. I had the LC3 with the rear diff lock. No trickery to go wrong there, just the back wheel locked together. Fantastic grip.

All the fun of the fair in super comfort!

Chris

Before I put my snorkel on, I did Corwen in pretty much full flow.

The guys in our group, did say it would be deep, and they were right.
Quite high, as in ' up to the windscreen wipers'
Back end just started floating, , , ,

Quite reckless in hindsight, but got across no problem.

Graham

I think the Plains sound good for an initial wander about under supervision and then see how my confidence goes after that. Some of the photos of Wales look very interesting and very tempting too.

BBC says no snow for that area this weekend :( But I have snow :D But I have no lanes :(

I don't think you'll find a decent back bumper for the 120 locally - it'll need to be fabricated by an artist like Jon, Chris or Gav or one or two others here ...

For the front bumper, I'm with Crispin on the ARB Sahara, but not at the eye-watering price locally, so I will probably go for the Freeways Latitude knock-off in France which still looks good.

The ASFIR plates are ok - mine are now starting to buckle a bit :? and at £200+ each there is going to be a home brew version very soon ...

Then tyres - I've got on Coopers and am very happy. On the LC4 I'd also go for Iron Man or ARB suspension upgrade, which will give you enough room for 285/70x17 tyres - 33" tyres, so pretty decent.

You won't be able to put in decent sliders without a body lift, which is a pain to do - it took Chris a whole weekend under my management to get it right :shock: :lol: :lol:

DSC_0251.jpg

It's gone higher now, by another 2", and has a roof-rack and roof tent - more pics to follow ...

Hmm - maybe I should take part in the Cruiser of the Month spread ;)

Gary Stockton said:
maybe I should take part in the Cruiser of the Month spread
That would be great Gary... Go on, ye will, ye will, ye will... ;)

I've already put him on the list :) Gav, you after him ;) Mine's up this week :o

Yes, come on pull your finger out :think:

Back