Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This diesel shortage then

Surely it's the lack of drivers to deliver fuel, rather than an actual fuel shortage ?
End result is the same I guess, but the media starts all/any panick buying and hoarding, as with food etc.

I've been out on the bike tonight and had to visit 3 stations to refuel. First one closed, no fuel, 2nd one huge queues and finally a short wait at the third one for 7 litres of E5 unleaded. Personally I lay a lot of the blame at the the media's door, making what could be a minor problem headline/front page news.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All of these knob-jockeys are going to queue to fill up then actually not go anywhere. Result will be that in a day or so, everyone's tanks will be full, forecourts will be empty with brimmed tanks underground. Trust me give it a day or so and it will all be over. There'll be tankers running round all over the place with no where to unload!

Every garage from Bognor to Angmering had a queue a hundred yards long or more on the road at 12:00 today. By 5:00 pm one was sold out, the others…rammed with queues. Good job I’ve got a few vehicles to choose from. Even the Cursed Smart car could be back on the road if diesel does run dry (which it won’t).
Another manufactured crisis. Problem-reaction-solution.

All of these knob-jockeys are going to queue to fill up then actually not go anywhere. Result will be that in a day or so, everyone's tanks will be full, forecourts will be empty with brimmed tanks underground. Trust me give it a day or so and it will all be over. There'll be tankers running round all over the place with no where to unload!
Exactly.

People's car usage won't change just because of this issue, so in 2-3 days, max 1 week it will be back to normal. The only change will be that many people will be driving around with full tanks instead of half or quarter full as they used to.

Wow I didn’t knew any of this. I have half tank on all 3 cars so didn’t think of fuel. With work from home I can go on for a month with out fuel.
yesterday night I took Landcruiser for drive as it’s been 10 days since I started it. I wasted fuel unnecessarily.

My cars are about half full so I'm going to leave it for at least a week before filling I reckon. No sense being part of the problem.

Mrs went out at 7am, 3 petrol stations closed, and 1 amassive queue. She stuck with it, filled up and got back around 10am.
That one had no diesel, so won't be going there. Down to 1/4 tank, but with hers full of petrol, ok.

Hopefully it’s just 2-3 days shortage. I ll check near by and fill up LC as it takes 93, I don’t need to but thinking it will be useful to anyone in need if shortage continues. Now I should have 50lts anyone need please feel free to take

image0-13.jpeg

Madness at the pumps !

Got a msg that IR35 is also one reason for truck drivers not willing to work. Any idea if this is true

180lts in the barrel, and about 300 ltr across the cars. Think I will be ok for a few days. See my older thread about water and diesel storage options here on the site :)

Reactions: Raj
Got a msg that IR35 is also one reason for truck drivers not willing to work

Probably not with regards to fuel deliveries. A lot are handled by logistics firms and fuel delivery drivers, quite rightly, have to have the right qualifications. A look at somebody like Hoyers (German firm with UK branch) vacancy lists will give an idea of present problems. A lot of logistic firms rely on subbing out work but since Brexit the pool of available or suitable sub contractors is much reduced. No more EU firms able to take on cabotage is also a big factor. It's not so much down to truck drivers not willing to work on zero hours contracts, it's as much the nature of the job, long hours, nights away, average pay, slim profit margins and rubbish facilities being as much of a factor. I can remember about 40 years ago there was quite an anti truck sentiment about, this was countered by an "if you've got it, a truck brought it", this message seems to have been forgotten by todays policy makers.

Glad to have filled up a few days ago, should be ok until things settle down again. I don't eat turkey, so should miss that panic too:).

Back