Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This diesel shortage then

Just had a look at heating oil (kerosene) prices, up from about 45p a litre to about 65p in just over a week. Haven't checked the price of cetane improvers yet ......

Ah! yes your right Nick, Didn't think of that scenario...... Mind you that's a normal plan of action for most folk anyway... 'Consume to conserve'.....

Ah! yes your right Nick, Didn't think of that scenario...... Mind you that's a normal plan of action for most folk anyway... 'Consume to conserve'.....
thats my approach when ordering me satd night chinese.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got a bag of dog logs ive been collecting for a few weeks in a resealable bag to keep the flies out must say have taken to not having a fag in me gob well lighted one when it comes to collecting a new supply reckon if Queen Victoria was on the throne the bag would be able to supply the street for a week
Do think the rubbish cart is going to explode one collection day

don't be daft Higgy..they'll turn every light on in every room and turn on all the appliances to make sure they've got enough gas and electricity in the house for when they need it.

Folks, what is the best way to siphon fuel out of a Landcruiser into other cars? Have tried but so far no luck??

I would have tried to get it from the fuel line that goes into the diesel filter. Might need a pump though.

I heard the BP stations in the area are getting fuel every other night.

I would have tried to get it from the fuel line that goes into the diesel filter. Might need a pump though.

I heard the BP stations in the area are getting fuel every other night.
It’s now becoming a matter of pride on how to get the petrol out!!

Don't know about siphoning, with the filler pipe on an 80/100 being quite a long affair I'd go with something like this......Oil Pump. Connect it to the inlet pipe of the primer/lift pump under the bonnet and Robert's your Uncle's Brother. :thumbup:

Edit......just noticed you have a petrol 80 so no lift pump then?

Last edited:
Don't know about siphoning, with the filler pipe on an 80/100 being quite a long affair I'd go with something like this......Oil Pump. Connect it to the inlet pipe of the primer/lift pump under the bonnet and Robert's your Uncle's Brother. :thumbup:
So there is a way to get a pipe into the fuel without connecting into existing lines? The aux tank has a right angle which I just can’t seem to get past!!

The standard filler pipe on my diesel 80 didn't have any anti-siphon baffle etc as far as I could see when I changed it. You probably could get a suitable tube down it into the tank at a push. If you park facing uphill on a steep slope the filler pipe itself should fill with fuel which should make things a bit easier.

LOL - I've just been doing this on my diesel 80 although it wasn't entirely successful. I tried sticking a jiggle syphon down the fuel filler but it arrives at a point and won't go any further. I took the fuel pipe from the outlet of the fuel filter and replaced it with a length of hosepipe. I could then manually prime fuel into a jerry can - a bit like milking a mechanical cow (I guess). It wasn't very quick so I put a non-priming in-line 12v pump in the fuel filter outlet, used the priming bulb to prime the pump and away I didn't go unfortunately - it still lets enough air in (from the fuel filter?) to stop the in line pump from priming. I moved the in line pump to the inlet side but to no avail. Maybe the head exceeds the capability of the pump. I did get about 25 litres out so it wasn't an entirely wasted exercise.

Some tanks have a built in cross piece in the inlet pipe, not sure about our cars, it makes the inlet pipe stronger and less likely to be crushed by overexuberant tightening of a jubilee clip and also provides a quite successful anti syphon device.
You can sometimes get smaller bore pipes down the filler pipe, best is reinforced flexible pipe, which has enough strength not to kink as you push it down, typical 1/2" pipe will be too thick to get past the cross in the tank inlet if it has such a thing, 3/8 pipe might, no guarantees it will work whatever you do.
Helps if you cut the leading end of the pipe at a 45' angle, the cut following the natural curve of the pipe not against the curve, so if it meets any obsticles on the way down it has more chance of flicking past instead of jamming up.
Rubber reinforced pipe is sometimes better than plastic, especially if you lube the pipe in Diesel before trying to insert it.

The only way to be sure about the inlet is to lift the vehicle and disconnect the filler pipe from the tank inlet and peer down it by use of a mirror and torch.

I cut and rejoined mine to make fitting a whole lot easier. Looking down each end of both pieces I couldn't see anything that would impede a siphon pipe, other than the bends in the pipe itself.

could you not siphon it out the inspection hole?

All this talk of siphoning, does this mean were going back to the era of lockable fuel caps, as the scroats can't get fuel legitimately. The silly flap released from inside on modern cars, only requires minimum leverage with sommat to gain entry, I would think.

I suspect that the modern scroat won't bother trying to undo pipework or syphoning - they'll just knock a hole in the tank.

I'm always horrified at what they do when they nick outboards - they'll chainsaw the transom around the bracket and through the control lines and fuel line. It easily writes the boat off. Sadly there is no deterrent nowadays.

Back