Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thought I'd make my own adventure trailer...

Nick I'd love some. I don't need tonnes and tonnes - I can't fit that many in the car. But these garage forecourts want ridiculous money for some pine offcuts that burn with no heat. Smallish bits that will chop up to go through the stove door would be great.

Nice idea there Chris I like it.

Simple and works. I also like the idea that something could be stored under the tent then the tent lowered down onto it. Having the fox wing I know how much stuff has to be carried with it and below the tent would be an ideal place to hide it all.

Did the same on my trailer with each corner of top platform (where RTT sits) can be raised up/down independtly. Yep - contained our storage/boxes for 1 yr on road when travelling

Ooops - looks like a repeat

Last edited:
Time for an update on the old trailer build. I had basically finished and done some trips with it but on the last trip around the Pyrenees, the rear suspension on the 80 started to suffer. The nose weight on the Metalian was just too much. The wheels on the trailer are a long way back which means it tows and reverses superbly, but in terms of weight on the tow hitch the physics just doesn't work. Whilst the water tanks are over the axle, the batteries aren't and they contribute massively to the problem. Metalian realised this when one or two failures occurred and they sited the batteries over the axle. However, with the old design water tanks, there simply isn't enough clearance to slot the Optimas in the gap. Metalian agreed to send me some spare water tanks to allow me to do the move. However, having waited to get them from SA courtesy of Stan's container, they turned out to be completely wrong. I've no idea how this happened but they were 3" too long to fit inside the trailer, so the fact that they were also the wrong tanks to make a pair didn't really matter. I approached a tank builder who quoted nearly £700 and a 4 week production time. These would have been in plastic with no holes or fittings. I decided not to go that way and went back to my local catering fabricator to see what he could do. Et voilà. Two lovely stainless tanks.

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 18.06.46.jpg

Now whilst these are direct replacements but with a small trim to give me the extra space I needed, fitting them has taken a full day. Stainless is a bitch to work with and cutting the holes and drilling for the fittings has causes some swearing. Plus the actual design of the trailer body just seems to be more complicated than necessary. I had them made without any holes at all so that I could fit them how I felt made the most sense.

I also fitted some much larger inspection covers so I could get my damn arm inside to reach the various nuts and fixings. Which this time would ALL be stainless. Sheesh.

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 18.11.24.jpg

I've managed a sort of first fix on the electrics, with the batteries now wired in to some additional terminal posts, some new fusing and a simpler cable run than before but cold stopped play and I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. Initial lift tests indicate the nose wheel is lighter but the trailer isn't fully loaded yet. Once all the beer is on board there should be a bit more weight toward the back.

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 18.15.36.jpg

I plumbed in the balance pipe and water take up pipe at one end unlike before so as the tanks near empty, I can raise the nose on the jockey wheel if needs be and pool the remaining water at one end of the tanks. If I lift one wheel too then the water will run over to one tank. Unlikely to be that desperate for water but you never know and in any case I could always fill it with wine.

Still got the CTEK and distribution board to wire in then refit the kitchen area and taps and then fit new sliders for the main drawer. Always a joy. With the cold weather we've had, the water filter split. Well I say split; more like exploded so I had to get another of those. I shall make sure I drain it for next winter.

For the eagle-eyed and naturally concerned, yes the post nearest the bodywork is the negative. But it's nowhere as near as it looks and can't move forward at all. So, a lot to do before Lincomb and not good weather to be doing it in. But given how bad it looks, I think I shall be needing the shelter of the full set up.

Back