Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thought it was a wheel bearing going ...

I have come across this problem before with materials were a material was selected on its tensile strength and not its yield strength. Tensile strength has little meaning in many cases except you can use it to quickly guess how ductile a material may be. Its a bit like those inverters that are sold as 2kw but actually only supply a constant load of 800w but 'may' take 2000w for a millisecond. The same for the Chinese generators.

In Australia any fasteners used in public works (even non-structural) have to be batch tested except Hilti SS anchors which have some internal audit. As a rule of thumb Chinese products are not entertained because there is no trust in their QA/QC. They may be selling bolts rated for 'x' nm but in reality they are probably working off another suppliers data.

I would look at putting at least 3 genuine on each wheel- that way you have half a chance!

I should note that they still haven't come back to me yet. These are the last two emails I've sent them with no response:

Ok yes this I already know - my concern is with the quality of the wheel studs you sold and the fact one has sheared before it reached the 109 I was reaching for. If they failed at motorway speeds it could cause quite a horrific accident.
cleardot.gif

On 25 April 2018 at 14:33, Milner Off Road Sales <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Grant,
This is what why colleague has found out for you:

ALLOYS ARE 95ftlb

STEELS ARE 80ftlb

The official range is 80 to 110 ftlbs The above settings are good starting point for new wheel studs.

and this on 30th of April:

Hi,
I wish to return all of these including the fitted and broken ones due to inferior (dangerous) quality.

Can you please advise the process for this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back